News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The content would clearly be the big win here for TWDC. They'd be free and clear to carry all the Star Wars films plus the two largest grossing films of all time (Avatar, Titanic).
Lots of room for synergy here... Imagine a Titanic attraction where guests board a boat steaming across the North Atlantic, when they round a bend and hear, faintly in the distance, "do you want to build a snowman...?"

asianway

That all sounds well and good, but does it add up to 60 billion dollars in value? I understand it may not be the third bargain of the century, but is this worth nearly 15 times as much as Lucasfilm or Marvel? To me it just looks like a bloated valuation. I don't see an ESPN in this deal, all I see are ABCs...
It doesnt

Brainleech419

It doesnt

so me and my roommate did some dumb math of over valuing IP last night.

X-Men 10B
the rest of the marvel 5B
Planet of the APES 5B
blue sky 5B (although I think they should sell blue sky)
Simpsons 2B
Die hard 1.5B (maybe)
Aliens 2-3B
everything else 5B

Bob Iger legacy priceless (the other 13B dollar and all the other overestimation)

so me and my roommate did some dumb math of over valuing IP last night.

X-Men 10B
the rest of the marvel 5B
Planet of the APES 5B
blue sky 5B (although I think they should sell blue sky)
Simpsons 2B
Die hard 1.5B (maybe)
Aliens 2-3B
everything else 5B

Bob Iger legacy priceless (the other 13B dollar and all the other overestimation)

Methinks y'all are being a little shortsighted. Disney has gained SOOOOOO MUUUUUCH MOOOOOORE Intellectual Property here! That doesn't mean that they have to put it in a theme park, but they can definitely monetize it. Here's a quick listing:

Charlie Chan, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Young Frankenstein, M*A*S*H*, The Poseidon Adventure, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, CLEOPATRA, The Hustler, The Longest Day, THE SOUND OF (freakin') MUSIC, South Pacific, Patton, Edward Scissorhands, BATMAN ('66), BIG, The King & I, The French Connection...just to name a few. Then there's the studios and the overseas distribution. The Mouse did just fine here.

JoeCamel

Comcast isn't going to let that contract go, not without Disney offering just about everything. Universal met all the requirements and still does. I can't imagine the price Comcast would demand Disney pay to either terminate or renegotiate the contract. And they'd probably only agree to a renegotiation allowing limited appearance of the major Marvel characters in WDW. That's why the Iron Man monorail skin for the release of Iron Man 3 was only on the resort monorail...because it technically doesn't enter any parks, just like the buses.
Maybe Comcast would do it if Disney/Fox paid off Spielberg to get out of the consulting contract. For that price I could see them doing it.

Luigi

If marvel if ironclad I'd imagine the Simpsons would be too.

I'm not so sure about that. The Marvel deal was done when Marvel was having serious financial issues.

My main question to the deal is if it in perpetuity like the Florida Marvel deal or is there a renewal date that Disney can use as leverage?

Bender123

So...can we replace Stitch with Alien Encounter and make it with Alien, as is was supposed to be? We all know it was made with the Alien movie franchise in mind, so now they actually could do it...

champdisney

So...can we replace Stitch with Alien Encounter and make it with Alien, as is was supposed to be? We all know it was made with the Alien movie franchise in mind, so now they actually could do it...
We also know why the project was never realized: not suitable for children.

Brainleech419

Methinks y'all are being a little shortsighted. Disney has gained SOOOOOO MUUUUUCH MOOOOOORE Intellectual Property here! That doesn't mean that they have to put it in a theme park, but they can definitely monetize it. Here's a quick listing:

Charlie Chan, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Young Frankenstein, M*A*S*H*, The Poseidon Adventure, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, CLEOPATRA, The Hustler, The Longest Day, THE SOUND OF (freakin') MUSIC, South Pacific, Patton, Edward Scissorhands, BATMAN ('66), BIG, The King & I, The French Connection...just to name a few. Then there's the studios and the overseas distribution. The Mouse did just fine here.

yes a great collection of classic films but not for 60,000,000,000 dollars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom