News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This deal makes sense on so many levels. It’s such a no-brainer that any analyst (except the creators of The Simpson’s) who hadn’t predicted this must truly be banging their heads! Just look at what Disney is getting...

Star Wars — the rest of the rights and ownership titles they currently do not have (namely, A New Hope ownership and distribution rights for original trilogies) — well, duh, makes perfect sense!

Avatar — I’ve often wondered why Disney would promote another studios’s IP at a Disney-owned theme park. It just didn’t make sense to me. Now, it will all make sense! With Star Wars, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, and other sci-fi titles along with Marvel, Disney can make a sci-fi network or even a sci-fiction themed theme park (possibly outside the US). The possibilities are HUGE! Again, this makes so much sense and is such a no-brainer that it’s not even funny!

X-Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, etc.— See https://screenrant.com/marvel-movie-character-rights-explained-studios-sony-fox/5/

FX/FXX/Nat Geo — How many cable networks will Disney own after these are added?

I thought FX was remaining with the rest of Fox TV. But Disney owning the National Geographic channels would be nice - it's been a long time since I've seen those old, great Disney nature films.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They are keeping the broadcast television network and stations. The cable networks are going to Disney.

Thanks for the clarification. It's such a fluid situation and the WSJ article requires a paid subscription to read. (Thanks, Rupert!).

Disney would have real issues with anti-trust violations if it acquired one of the remaining 3 broadcast networks. FCC might not ok the acquisition.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This deal makes sense on so many levels. It’s such a no-brainer that any analyst (except the creators of The Simpson’s because they have) who hadn’t predicted this must truly be banging their heads! Just look at what Disney is getting...

Star Wars — the rest of the rights and ownership titles they currently do not have (namely, A New Hope ownership and distribution rights for original trilogies) — well, duh, makes perfect sense!
?

They would have gotten back all the rights except New Hope in 2020 anyway.

andysol

So The Americans finale is still greenlit, yes? Ok- then I’ll allow it to go through.

In cable- related news, FX is the premier “network cable” channel in terms of content. Yes, AMC still has the walking dead which has ratings still (which is maddening to me because the show is a mess, but I digress)- but from a critical standpoint, AMC has taken the back seat to FX where they used to be the driver.

Staples like Mad men and breaking bad have moved aside to some pretty sub-par television on AMC (critically speaking). They still have better call Saul, but that’s about it.

Meanwhile, FX has brought the house with Fargo, the Americans, American Horror Story, Atlanta and American Crime Story.

That Network is arguably - maybe even not arguably - pushing out the most critically acclaimed stuff on all of television- HBO and Netflix included.
1) I hope Disney doesn’t screw it up
2) Please Disney, don’t screw it up

Progress.City

I wonder if this is the “big final” acquisition (under Iger as CEO) that was rumored some years ago to have been in the works. The rumor was that Iger was working on one last big acquisition for the company before making his exit as CEO. According to the rumor, this “final” acquisition would (like Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm) bring in a huge amount of additional IP to Disney’s collection of licenses. Also, the rumor likened the “final” acquisition in scale to that of Disney’s merger with ABC-Cap Cities under former CEO Michael Eisner.

It sounds to me that this Fox merger is exactly it, unless there was talk of another merger proposal with some other big company that fell through that could have been what this rumor alluded to?

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

I wonder if this is the “big final” acquisition (under Iger as CEO) that was rumored some years ago to have been in the works. The rumor was that Iger was working on one last big acquisition for the company before making his exit as CEO. According to the rumor, this “final” acquisition would (like Pixar, Marvel, and LucasFilm) bring in a huge amount of additional IP to Disney’s collection of licenses. Also, the rumor likened the “final” acquisition in scale to that of Disney’s merger with ABC-Cap Cities under former CEO Michael Eisner.

It sounds to me that this Fox merger is exactly it, unless there was talk of another merger proposal with some other big company that fell through that could have been what this rumor alluded to?
I thought Iger was going to extend his contract till 2020 or 2022???

Cmdr_Crimson

They will if this deal happens.
And not just them...All of these shows including Archer on FX
Animation-Throwdown-TQFC-2.png

And it would technically make Anastasia a Fox animated film a Disney Princess...
ee95211a6e51a3dae8f50c19daa07db6--anastasia-disney-anastasia-movie.jpg

HauntedMansionFLA

Another example of why we need tighter regulations on how many properties any one company can own. Expect More IP in more inappropriate places in the parks.
I doubt they will make their way into the parks. They have hardly used Marvel in the parks not restricted by previous agreements. This is a IP deal for television and streaming more or less. It's a massive deal.

Cmdr_Crimson

LAKid53

Premium Member
yes and no there's an odd contract about that known as the East of the Mississippi contract with Disney and Marvel while they can use the characters out at Disneyland Resort they are not allowed to be used such as the Avengers, X-men and Spider-Man while they are being used at Universal Orlando resort.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...s-guardians-galaxy-mission-breakout/98870354/

The contract you're referring to predates Disney's purchase of Marvel. And it's between Universal and Marvel, not Disney and Marvel. I've read the contract. Unless Universal breaches the contract, it's in effect until perpetuity. Or Disney offers Universal Iger's first born to buy them out. Which isn't going to happen....

LAKid53

Premium Member
I agree. I did a search and found ZERO mainstream media outlets reporting that the deal was done or that terms had been agreed to.

Most of them indicate Disney and Fox are still discussing the details. When either Bloomberg or WSJ reports that terms have been agreed to, I'll believe it.

Jonnydanger

ESPN and ABC use to be good before Disney ruined them. I like the park that Walt created or his ideas but Eisner his type are poison for Disney. They fired a guy for saying " CHiNGk in the armor", " for having a name " Robert Lee", threaten to pull out filming in Georgia for saying that men had to use the men's bathroom and fired TIM Alan for saying that Hollywood is a bad place for a conservative.
I think they should focus on their core business. My gosh, the monorail system need to be expanded to the other 2 parks and maybe to a hub around the other hotels. The bus system is a nightmare compared to the Monorail. Maybe they should buy the weinstein company while they are at it, that is more the style of Eisner and his type.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom