News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

ohioguy

Original Poster

Movielover

Are they getting the original Star Wars as part of this? I have not heard that mentioned anywhere, but I also have not been following this to closely.

Disney will be getting everything Fox had that relates to entertainment meaning yes the rights that Fox had concerning the Star Wars films will be with Disney. This could very well mean some form of release of the theatrical cuts in the future.

Movielover

So more importantly, will we get the fox anthem at the beginning of Star Wars again?

That is unclear. Since Lucasfilm and Fox would be under the same ownership, having both logos at the start would be redundant, especially considering everything related to the production is handled by Lucasfilm alone.

Movielover

Yes. But if you want to see a bunch of Star Wars fans wet their pants (i include myself in that) then go redundant.

As a big Star Wars fan myself I personally don't want to see the Fox logo before the new films. I know its nostalgic but they were never Fox's films to begin with, just Lucas's. I do however wish they would create a simple fanfare for the Lucasfilm logo .

bclane

Disney will be getting everything Fox had that relates to entertainment meaning yes the rights that Fox had concerning the Star Wars films will be with Disney. This could very well mean some form of release of the theatrical cuts in the future.
That alone would make it worth the bazillion dollars this is gonna cost imo. I don’t even care that much about the rest of it really (except for getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four to play In the MCU). Time to put the special editions out of their misery!!!

Movielover

That alone would make it worth the bazillion dollars this is gonna cost imo. I don’t even care that much about the rest of it really (except for getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four to play In the MCU). Time to put the special editions out of their misery!!!

As a film lover I am 100% against the needless altering of movies, however I honestly don't mind that the special editions exist since I have the VHS and Lazerdisc ripped DVDs of the theatricals. My big problem is that the HD theatrical cuts are not available. If you are going to alter films ALWAYS have the original versions available to purchase as well. Spielberg learned this the hard way with E.T.

bclane

As a film lover I am 100% against the needless altering of movies, however I honestly don't mind that the special editions exist since I have the VHS and Lazerdisc ripped DVDs of the theatricals. My big problem is that the HD theatrical cuts are not available. If you are going to alter films ALWAYS have the original versions available to purchase as well. Spielberg learned this the hard way with E.T.
Yah I actually agree with that. Lucas could have done whatever he wanted with the special editions as long as we could still have access to the originals. Why he didn’t want us to have them is such a mystery to me. I am left with no other choice but to blame the midichlorians.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Are they getting the original Star Wars as part of this? I have not heard that mentioned anywhere, but I also have not been following this to closely.

They should be. Fox, in addition to distribution rights, owned A New Hope. That's the deal Lucas had to make with David Ladd, then 20th Century Fox chief, to get financing. Fox holds distribution rights to the remaining 5 films. So Disney will now own. it. all

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yah I actually agree with that. Lucas could have done whatever he wanted with the special editions as long as we could still have access to the originals. Why he didn’t want us to have them is such a mystery to me. I am left with no other choice but to blame the midichlorians.

I have the original theatrical releases on DVD. You have to know which 3 DVD pack to buy. It's nice seeing the opening crawl without Episode IV: A New Hope.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom