News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Rodan75

I know folks get all worked up about the film side, but both Disney and Comcast want the international TV assets. Iger’s reaction to the ESPN and ABC declines is to balance out the media nets business with international nets. If you exclude Disney Channel from Media Networks, the Cap Cities companies are pretty much US assets.

Agreed. But Fox has plenty of additional international assets outside of the SKY stake. It is a bit of a win win for all 4 companies. Sky gets connected to a more expansive partner, Comcast gets international distribution, Murdoch gets a more agile company to give to his sons, Disney gets international, plus new IP and a catalog for streaming.

Quinnmac000

I know folks get all worked up about the film side, but both Disney and Comcast want the international TV assets. Iger’s reaction to the ESPN and ABC declines is to balance out the media nets business with international nets. If you exclude Disney Channel from Media Networks, the Cap Cities companies are pretty much US assets.

You are right. Fox's most prized possessions (in order of influence) are Sky (All of Europe for content AND distribution), Fox Television (Comcast couldn't use anyways especially in the cable domain as they already have the most watched cable channel (USA)however I could see them wanting to own the rights to their biggest tv hit: This is US), Hulu (US and Japan), Fox Searchlight, 20th Century Fox, Star.

Disney wants all of it because while they do well, their television department isn't doing as well as Fox. They want Hulu for their streaming plans and they want the international cable channels and distribution method.

Comcast wants maybe four things which we already know two: Sky and Hulu. However I pretty sure they want the rights to This is Us and the adult animation shows. Outside that, Universal actually has international television channels (Asia, India, UK and South America) and Netflix snatches up their cable shows for international distribution like they are candy. A lot of people also don't realize Universal also owns a pretty well known anime company in Japan but they lack the distribution method which is the real reason why they want Hulu.

seascape

I have been buying Fox shares with all my Dividends the last 2 quarters and will keep buying as Fox until the vote. In the mean time it should go better than either Disney or Comcast. Even if Comcast gets Sky it will drive Fox up as Comcast will have to buy their 39% ownership of Sky that Fox owns. Also given that they offered 16% more than Dusney for Fox, I win either way. I have no problems taking Comcasts cash and spend it at Disney.

Ragerunner

I have been buying Fox shares with all my Dividends the last 2 quarters and will keep buying as Fox until the vote. In the mean time it should go better than either Disney or Comcast. Even if Comcast gets Sky it will drive Fox up as Comcast will have to buy their 39% ownership of Sky that Fox owns. Also given that they offered 16% more than Dusney for Fox, I win either way. I have no problems taking Comcasts cash and spend it at Disney.

Cnn is reporting that Comcast maybe preparing an offer for Fox as well. Looks like a Disney lock on this is far from certain at this point.

Indy_UK

Be funny if Comcast bought the lot then years on have to sell them back off because they are beginning to struggle and they sell it to Disney anyway

Stripes

Premium Member
I think both would have merits. So far as the customer over here is concerned so long as they get their soccer (Sky sports is a massive set of pay channels) they possibly don’t care. Personally I don’t care for Sky News since I feel it’s a bit too tabloid for me. I’d worry for the Sky customer that Igers ever increasing search for profit would hit the Sky network too. I don’t really deal with Sky peronally (I’m with a rival provider).

Talking of debt and monies, I wouldn’t say Disney buying Fox outright would be fantastic for the parks either. Burbank is already jittery. The recent reallocation of funds for park projects are a taste of that.
If Comcast prevails, for your country's sake, I hope the customer service at Comcast doesn't trickle down. They are truly the worst.

Bender123

I believe so.

The other UK companies are in for a rude awakening when Comcast shows them how truly awful customer service can be...

Let me put it this way, in 2009, after banks, investment houses and white collar criminals walked off with trillions of dollars, foreclosed n millions of homeowners and crashed the world economy, Comcast still won the Worst Company in America vote...twice...

They are THAT bad that you can destroy a persons life and country, but they will still hate Comcast more.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The other UK companies are in for a rude awakening when Comcast shows them how truly awful customer service can be...

Let me put it this way, in 2009, after banks, investment houses and white collar criminals walked off with trillions of dollars, foreclosed n millions of homeowners and crashed the world economy, Comcast still won the Worst Company in America vote...twice...

They are THAT bad that you can destroy a persons life and country, but they will still hate Comcast more.
Trust me. The UK knows bad.

Just today the head of a national rail service had to issue an apology after tweeting abusive replies to his complaining customers.

The head.

fngoofy

Trust me. The UK knows bad.
Just today the head of a national rail service had to issue an apology after tweeting abusive replies to his complaining customers.

The head.
latest

seascape

The stock market aspect of this will take time to play out, but at the moment I’m assuming there is relief that SKY is the plan and not Fox.

But I agree with you on the rest. Comcast going for Sky makes sense with their needs and Disney going for Fox makes sense. Either going for Fox+Sky felt like overreach and regulatory hurdles. But all of this feels a little too coordinated.
Look at the market today. Wall Street is clearly showing they dont like Comcasts plans. Comcast was down 4.56% today. They closed at $31.81 over $12.00 a share down since their first rumor of going after Sky, from a high of $44.00 and the return on their interest in Fox. Disney is down too but only slightly compared to Comcast and that is because they will have to raise their offer for Sky.

Quinnmac000

Look at the market today. Wall Street is clearly showing they dont like Comcasts plans. Comcast was down 4.56% today. They closed at $31.81 over $12.00 a share down since their first rumor of going after Sky, from a high of $44.00 and the return on their interest in Fox. Disney is down too but only slightly compared to Comcast and that is because they will have to raise their offer for Sky.

Or maybe its due to the fact they lost a good chunk of money trying to get into wireless communications?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom