News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Rodan75

There is no reason for Disney to pay Universal anything for the rights to Universals Marvel Characters. Disney has enough Marvel Characters they can use in Orlando and have all of the in Europe, Japan (soon) and China along with California. They don't need them in Orlando. In the meantime Universal has to send Disney a check every quarter. Also as Universal grows around the world their tiny rights to Marvel will mean less and less. It is only on themepark boards that any Comcast owner cares one bit about their Marvel attractions. Spiderman may be one of the best rides in the world but it does not matter since it can't be built anywhere else.

I don't even think you are reading what I wrote, just copying and pasting our the standard template to these questions.

seascape

Disney will have to bargain with Comcast with Net Neutrality changes if it wants to launch a Netflix killer.
Wrong. 5g is going to put major pressure on Internet Service Providers. The customers will demand their ISP provide good service to both Disney and Netflix. If they don't get it from Comcast they will switch to Verizon or someone else. The consumers rule and content is king.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Wrong. 5g is going to put major pressure on Internet Service Providers. The customers will demand their ISP provide good service to both Disney and Netflix. If they don't get it from Comcast they will switch to Verizon or someone else. The consumers rule and content is king.
While I'd like to think that's true, it's not the reality for a lot of people. I live in a suburb of Boston. Not urban by any means, but very suburban with a fairly high population density. I have exactly *one* 'choice' for broadband - Comcast. I'd love to go somewhere else, but I don't have any other options, so they can do as they please. It's why I'm hoping 5G is able to become a viable alternative to home wired broadband.

Quinnmac000

I live in a country that has established 5G network...fun fact...broadband still is popular as its way more reliable. The amount of people on 5G networks tremendously slow down speeds to the point most businesses here just use broadband to give out 5G equivalent wifi.

Secondly, Comcast is already trying to get into the cellular business...won't be long til they have their own 5G network as well.

RSoxNo1

Universal is offering 31 billion for Sky. Disney's 39% of that would be 12.09 billion dollars. Do you really believe anyone is stupid enough to give up that kind of money for just the themepark rights to Namor and Hulk? It doesn't really matter though since Disney is going to wind up owning Sky and Universal can forget about buying it. Neither of them should be allowed to buy either Sky or Fox but Disney only needs to buy just over 18% of the non fox shares while universal needs to buy just under 82% of the shares. Therefore its much Easier for Disney to win.
What is Namor?

Disneyrailfan1996

Why do I get a feeling that this was somehow foreshadowed through disney themselves YEARS before it happened? I mean they had some fox films in the Great Movie Ride, they had Star Tours (okay, well maybe that one may have more foreshadowed Disney buying Star Wars...), and there was the American Idol Experience. PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Disney foreshadowed or predicted that their Fox aquisition would happen in the future!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why do I get a feeling that this was somehow foreshadowed through disney themselves YEARS before it happened? I mean they had some fox films in the Great Movie Ride, they had Star Tours (okay, well maybe that one may have more foreshadowed Disney buying Star Wars...), and there was the American Idol Experience. PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Disney foreshadowed or predicted that their Fox aquisition would happen in the future!

Ya wanna take it out for spin first before you buy...

the.dreamfinder

This is why Comcast bought NBCU and AT&T’s trying to buy TW kids. Same with Verizon’s adtech/content conglomerate Oath. They don’t want to be the public utility they always have been, lack of formal public utility regs notwithstanding.

the.dreamfinder

EU investigators raid the London offices of 21st Century Fox in a probe related to rigged TV sports rights deals. Fox’s European sports rights are a critical component of Bob Iger’s case for buying parts of Fox.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-k-offices-raided-by-ec-competition-watchdogs
Additionally, Fox US Broadcasting low balled ABC/ESPN for the 2026 FIFA World Cup rights with a no bid contract.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-fifa-no-bid-sale-of-us-wcup-rights/23387205/

Last edited:

seascape

EU investigators raid the London offices of 21st Century Fox in a probe related to rigged TV sports rights deals. Fox’s European sports rights are a critical component of Bob Iger’s case for buying parts of Fox.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-k-offices-raided-by-ec-competition-watchdogs
Additionally, Fox US Broadcasting low balled ABC/ESPN for the 2026 FIFA World Cup rights with a no bid contract.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-fifa-no-bid-sale-of-us-wcup-rights/23387205/
Disney is not buying Fox Sports, only the regional networks. Fox Sports will continue to be owned and operated by New Fox and compete against ESPN.

Ismael Flores

Supposedly FOX was not the only one that was raised.
According to another article today several companies have been raided that have sport broadcasting rights in an ongoing investigation.
Seems like FOX is in the headlines more because they have been in a back and forth Negotiations do to the sky purchase that the UK is suppose to make a decision soon.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-eu-raided-london-offices-095849235.html?.tsrc=applewf

the.dreamfinder

Disney is not buying Fox Sports, only the regional networks. Fox Sports will continue to be owned and operated by New Fox and compete against ESPN.
Disney will own Sky Sports.
I brought up FOX Sports because there is an alleged tie between the US and European FIFA rights and that’s why FIFA went no bid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom