News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

seascape

Or maybe its due to the fact they lost a good chunk of money trying to get into wireless communications?
The timing of the 27.7% drop from it's high is clearly related to the timing of their Sky offer and Fox news. Since Comcast wants to pay cash and not dilute shares they will need to borrow approximately 100 billion dollars to accomplish this. Given rising interest rates and their needs leverage for this, the smart investors know the risks this puts on the company. I would not be surprised to see a class action law suite on this from their stockholders. The Robert's family has the voting power due to voting class shares. IMHO voting class shares should be illegal as it give too much power to the few people who run the company without having the same percentage of money in the game. I am very happy I was not allowed to own their stock because I would hate to see that loss in value.

the.dreamfinder

Having said that, I think their actual product has improved significantly. Their customer service was remarkably inefficient and I think everyone has stories of dealing with them.
It’s weird, they’ve improved, but it’s clear their monopoly powers make their product worse. I have an X1 box and it’s a major improvement over the old boxes, which you pay like $7-8/month per box for. The streaming app is great and the cloud DVR functions fairly well. Then I look at my Apple TV, it’s a quarter of the size, works without the bugginess of X1, and I don’t have to pay for it into perpetuity. But thanks to Comcast and the others, I can never use my Apple TV or PS4 like I would my cell phone where I can pick which one I use and which service to use it on.

No matter what they do, the dynamic is still the same; they have all the power over consumers and their competitors.

trainplane3

Trust me. The UK knows bad.

Just today the head of a national rail service had to issue an apology after tweeting abusive replies to his complaining customers.

The head.
At least you have a rail service that gets some form of attention. All Amtrak gets is "wait it's still around?". Too bad the US can't have a nice heavy rail system.

Heck, the US has a hard time getting behind public transit in general.

trainplane3

Belive me your roads make up for it !
Come to Pennsylvania. Everywhere but the Harrisburg area is terrible. You will change your mind very quickly. But Florida's roads are pretty nice, thanks to not having any snow.

I had a heart attack when I nailed a pothole head on with the RS. I'm amazed I didn't have a blowout or bent rim. Somehow the rubber band of a tire didn't give out.

Wow I'm off topic. I'll shut up now.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

It’s weird, they’ve improved, but it’s clear their monopoly powers make their product worse. I have an X1 box and it’s a major improvement over the old boxes, which you pay like $7-8/month per box for. The streaming app is great and the cloud DVR functions fairly well. Then I look at my Apple TV, it’s a quarter of the size, works without the bugginess of X1, and I don’t have to pay for it into perpetuity. But thanks to Comcast and the others, I can never use my Apple TV or PS4 like I would my cell phone where I can pick which one I use and which service to use it on.

No matter what they do, the dynamic is still the same; they have all the power over consumers and their competitors.
The big thing is they need to force broadcasts to 1080p or even 4K. Given the size of TVs now, 720p looks bad and they will continue to lose customers to Hulu and Netflix supporters.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The big thing is they need to force broadcasts to 1080p or even 4K. Given the size of TVs now, 720p looks bad and they will continue to lose customers to Hulu and Netflix supporters.

I've heard the reason there aren't more in 1080p or higher is piracy concerns and revenue streams. Showing a lower res version of movies, even with commercials, somehow keeps pirates at bay and keeps people buying BluRay/digital copies of movies in 1080p+ HD.

seascape

Just might end up with all the marbles...
60 billion cash vs 52 billion in Disney stock plus 12 billion in assuming Fox debt. Disney's offer is better unless Comcast also takes on 12 billion in Fox debt. Now if Comcast is actually willing to take on 72 billion for Fox and another 23 billion for Sky plus Sky's debt, they are crazy. With rising interest rates and their debt load they will be cash strapped for years. Besides, the tax consequences lower the worth of the Comcast offer because the Disney offer of stock would be tax deferred. As a Fox stockholder I am voting no on Comcasts offer and yes on Disney. I would rather have stock than cash.

JoeCamel

60 billion cash vs 52 billion in Disney stock plus 12 billion in assuming Fox debt. Disney's offer is better unless Comcast also takes on 12 billion in Fox debt. Now if Comcast is actually willing to take on 72 billion for Fox and another 23 billion for Sky plus Sky's debt, they are crazy. With rising interest rates and their debt load they will be cash strapped for years. Besides, the tax consequences lower the worth of the Comcast offer because the Disney offer of stock would be tax deferred. As a Fox stockholder I am voting no on Comcasts offer and yes on Disney. I would rather have stock than cash.

HauntedMansionFLA

Universals Florida parks will be up for sale and the fans can get their Marvel rides in Florida. Win - win

Stripes

Premium Member
Completely agree. This potential offer makes absolutely zero sense from Comcast or Fox's perspective. Does Comcast's leadership actually think Fox's shareholders would want to merge with a company taking on $100 billion in debt on top of what they've already accrued? Comcast's balance sheet would be terrible. They have to be crazy. Brian Roberts is truly letting his ego get in the way of common sense.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

Completely agree. This potential offer makes absolutely zero sense from Comcast or Fox's perspective. Does Comcast's leadership actually think Fox's shareholders would want to merge with a company taking on $100 billion in debt on top of what they've already accrued? Comcast's balance sheet would be terrible. They have to be crazy. Brian Roberts is truly letting his ego get in the way of common sense.

You do know that exact same argument was brought up when they bought NBCUniversal which caused stockholders who thought it was a joke eat crow?

Comcast is diversifying which is essential to maintaining its strong hold. Also Comcast is bringing in quite a bit of money thanks to all the licensing deals they now are getting due to the purchasing of all those "bad content" deals.

Lensman

Why would Fox shareholders care that much about what happens to Fox after they turn in their shares for cash? They'd no longer be the owners of Fox, they'd just be left with handfuls of cash, right?

Note: I'm not an M&A guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom