Disney alienates 90% of their guests......What is going on?

eliza61nyc

Why would you spend money when you have a free option that is more convenient? I could afford a limo, but would never be obnoxious enough to use one when a free option is available.
there's a whole world between DME. It's weird I think because I'm generally a frugal gal buy when I go on vacay, I want convenience, I'll pay the extra money for a car service. although now we always rent a car. I budget in the parking and cost of rental. some times it means that I can't go on vacation every year but it's worth it for me

Last edited:

skypilot2922

I agree. It won't happen overnight. But in dribs and drabs, it's possible.

Right now the people who grew up watching Walt introduce the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night have money to spend. I think this group is determined to go regardless of how Disney treats them. Eventually these people will be gone. Will the next generation have the nostalgia for Disney to put up with the less that stellar treatment? Maybe. Maybe not.

This is the part which worries me, Iger's/Chapek's Disney uses the parks as an ATM they don't respect the business, and Iger DID try to sell the parks to Prince Alaweed back in 2008. The stripped down service is not likely to generate repeat customers.

The reason we have a Hershey Park today is Milton Hershey opened the Hershey hotel, To say the least the opening was underwhelming but Hershey said we'll give these guests the best experience they ever had at a hotel. Over the top customer service saved the day and that was 30 years before Disneyland. It used to be that Disney == 'Awesome Customer Service' and no that did not mean free stuff, now I don't know what Disney means anymore.

The best case scenario is that OLC decides it wants to expand it's park business into the US and buys the parks from Disney. The worst case is some private equity outfit gets it's claws into Disney and then we'll see Disney parks become like the pre-comcast Universal when Blackrock Capital owned them.

Yes and no. If I'm paying deluxe rates, then I should get something extra that the moderates and value resorts don't get. However, the pool of extras shouldn't be limited to deluxe only. I always stay deluxe - either on the monorail loop or the Epcot trail because I like the proximity and the feel of being right there as close as possible to the gates. I know I'm not getting a room that equates to a boutique hotel, but the ease and convenience is worth it to me. Having access to these extras makes it even more of a no-brainer, but that shouldn't mean a guest at POP should be denied their share of magic.

Here's the thing at least when I paid for a Deluxe I was paying for the amenities of the RESORT not the park, I've even stayed at AKL and never visited a park went lots of other places but no parks on a couple of trips. Now If I were to want to do parks commando style I might opt for a value resort as all we need is a place to rest our heads. And lets face it Moderates are the 'Convention' hotels.

The parks were meant as an egalitarian experience so I think from a parks perspective values or deluxes should make no difference the on property perks should be the same for everyone on property.

skypilot2922

there's a whole world between DME. It's weird I think because I'm generally a frugal gal when I go on vacay, I want convenience, I'll pay the extra money for a car service. although now we always rent a car. I budget in the parking and cost of rental. some times it means that I can't go on vacation every year but it's worth it for me

DME made WDW a 'Sandals' experience, Your vacation began when you got on the plane every detail was handled for you in a smooth and transparent manner. All you needed was a change of clothes in your carryon (which you should have anyway whilst flying) so you could be ready for FL weather one did a quick superman routine in one of MCO's many bathrooms and you were on vacation.

tpoly88

I look at that differently with staying off site. IMO better and cheaper food options. For what you pay at Disney for lodging you can get bigger and better rooms.
Before i lived in Fl we always would stay at a deluxe and usually GF, it was not as crazy expensive as now but i do feel differently now that im a FL resident and an AP. we always drive over for the day and the only time ill stay over is during the fall when we will do the F&W and goto MNSS or december with Merry Christmas party. as we only stay for a night ill usually stay at the Swan/Dolphin but we have stayed a couple times at the Waldorf Bonnet Creek which was very nice. i dont mind staying offsite as i have my car anyway and i get parking with my AP pass but i can definetly see if i had to fly in with the family its just easier at the WDW resort hotels. The Deluxe resorts are just so expensive now, i just cant justifying $600 for a night, rather spend the money on food or other things.

cm1988

Prices have gone berserk. In the past 10 years, room prices have doubled. Park tickets, food and beverage have done the same. Now they are hacking away at perks.

$500 for a room; $110 per person per day at the gate. With meals and no merchandise, that looks like about $1000 per day for a couple.

I worked there for 16 years. I still love the place, but I also love our National Parks, and Boston, and Maine, and San Francisco, and the Grand Canyon. All of those can be enjoyed for less than half what my former employer charges.

Jrb1979

Prices have gone berserk. In the past 10 years, room prices have doubled. Park tickets, food and beverage have done the same. Now they are hacking away at perks.

$500 for a room; $110 per person per day at the gate. With meals and no merchandise, that looks like about $1000 per day for a couple.

I worked there for 16 years. I still love the place, but I also love our National Parks, and Boston, and Maine, and San Francisco, and the Grand Canyon. All of those can be enjoyed for less than half what my former employer charges.
I can go to Cedar Point and stay at their resort for half the price of Disney.

Jrb1979

Okay??? I'm not sure I understand. There are tons of places cheaper. I've been to CP a number of times and enjoyed it but never thought it was on the same level
I was just replying to the previous post about cheaper places.

Personally for me CP is almost on the same level. They may not have the high theming for attractions but I'm not overloaded with IP. I'm not a big fan of IP for any park.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I was just replying to the previous post about cheaper places.

Personally for me CP is almost on the same level. They may not have the high theming for attractions but I'm not overloaded with IP. I'm not a big fan of IP for any park.
I’m headed to their Lighthouse Point cabins Friday! To me, Disney is on a whole other level, but saving 12 hours in the car, I also love CP. I’m actually only going for the beach this time :)

Stevek

You are looking at this all wrong.
They are trying to incentivize you to stay at the Deluxe hotels with this perk; not the other way around. Price is the motivating factor to stay at a lower-tier hotel. That being said, just stay off-site.
We've typically stayed at the value resorts because, well, it was a value given how little time we actually spent at the resort itself beyond sleeping and it was onsite. The additional perks we got for staying onsite were the reason we continued to do so. I will be watching what, if anything, changes before our first week of December visit. We may ultimately just decide to rent a car and stay offsite where I can probably save $100/night for a comparable to slightly better hotel or the same amount per night for a significantly better hotel. The tough part is convincing the family to not stay in a Disney hotel...the magic of immersion.

Last edited:

dovetail65

We've typically stayed at the value resorts because, well, it was a value given how little time we actually spent at the resort itself beyond sleeping and it was onsite. The additional perks we got for staying onsite were the reason we continued to do so. I will be watching what, if anything, changes before our first week of December visit. We may ultimately just decide to rent a car and stay offsite where I can probably save $100/night for a comparable to slightly better hotel or the same amount per night for a significantly better hotel. The tough part is convincing the family to not stay in a Disney hotel...the magic of immersion.
I always have to have a car, heck I stayed at the Poly and got a rental, that is another thread though.

Right now rental cars cost near double or triple from pre-covid, heck even up until about 5 months ago. The current costs of a rental car right now even within the next 6 or 9 months may nullify your plan. I checked for a rental a few days ago and for certain weeks with tax they wanted upwards of 1500 a week for a mini van, the best I could find was 1100.00. In 2019 I had a mini van for 275.00 a week and a 4 door small truck for 30 days at 465.00 including tax, right now that exact truck 545.00 a week!

For the short term saving money by staying off site and getting a rental car may not work at least not be worth it to those that normally do not get rental cars. If at anytime in history I would tell a person they don't need a rental car now is that time from a cost standpoint alone. Right now even a compact 2 months out can cost a person 630 a week. So a 7 day trip saving a 100 a day on a room then paying 630.00 for the rental, well you see my point. That is a 10 a day saving, but then there is gas of course.

Last edited:

Stevek

I always have to have a car, heck I stayed at the Poly and got a rental, that is another thread though.

Right now rental cars cost near double or triple from pre-covid, heck even up until about 5 months ago. The current costs of a rental car right now even within the next 6 or 9 months may nullify your plan. I checked for a rental a few days ago and for certain weeks with tax they wanted upwards of 1500 a week for a mini van, the best I could find was 1100.00. In 2019 I had a mini van for 275.00 a week and a 4 door small truck for 30 days at 465.00 including tax, right now that exact truck 545.00 a week!

For the short term saving money by staying off site and getting a rental car may not work at least not be worth it to those that normally do not get rental cars. If at anytime in history I would tell a person they don't need a rental car now is that time from a cost standpoint alone. Right now even a compact 2 months out can cost a person 630 a week. So a 7 day trip saving a 100 a day on a room then paying 630.00 for the rental, well you see my point. That is a 10 a day saving, but then there is gas of course.
Yeah, that was part of my concern. I was hoping that by December, the inventory may be back up and prices back down but not really optimistic.

Indy_UK

And yet it’s busier than ever.

Im in the minority but I’m fine with the price increases if it does start to reduce the park crowds as it has become miserable at points but so far, I don’t think the price hikes are working

I honestly don’t know what it will take.

To me it says a lot about other vacations in the world when you see what people are willing to pay for trips to WDW. Proves there’s nothing else like it

eliza61nyc

This whole thread is what happens when you drink the Kool Aid for so long and you finally realize they're adding less and less actual sugar to the mix.

A bitterness begins to quickly set in, clearly.

why. ???? lol Disney has got to be the only place on the planet where for some reason people would rather complain and be-atch about how it's horrible and no longer worht the money all the while giving up the money for the next vacation.

go figure. Insane that you would go somewhere that makes you bitter and unhappy. lol, that's usually called work

dovetail65

Yeah, that was part of my concern. I was hoping that by December, the inventory may be back up and prices back down but not really optimistic.
I am even contemplating driving down something I have only done once in 5 years. There was a time it just wasn't worth the miles on my car an the cost if we stopped one night and pay for a hotel. For us we just do not like going without a rental car, but the cost for a mini van is crazy.

It might be time for us to buy a car and keep it down there, that will depend on how much we will go down in next couple years. Right now at least as far as going to WDW it does not look like it will be our 4 times a year. It is way too busy not to have FP enabled for us. One trip this year was enough to prove to us how much we miss that FP system.

Lilofan

And yet it’s busier than ever.

Im in the minority but I’m fine with the price increases if it does start to reduce the park crowds as it has become miserable at points but so far, I don’t think the price hikes are working

I honestly don’t know what it will take.

To me it says a lot about other vacations in the world when you see what people are willing to pay for trips to WDW. Proves there’s nothing else like it
Some willing to pay for trips at times by taking out bank loans to finance. Not the smartest thing to do but this is a slaves to debt society .

SpoiledBlueMilk

Some willing to pay for trips at times by taking out bank loans to finance. Not the smartest thing to do but this is a slaves to debt society .
Yeah - it seems that way but the days of cheap money appear to be over. Let's see if the juice is worth the squeeze once inflation erases low interest rates.

Cesar R M

Yes but the Waldorf perks are within the hotel. We are debating about perks outside of the resort. The people staying at Disney delux pay the extra for the luxury of the resort they are staying at. The values don't have hot tubs, spas, orchestra in the lobby etc. Values are also the farthest away from the parks and the bus stops at the parks are the farthest away.
I do not think anyone is complaining about those EXTRA perks you get from paying higher to get something extra.
Pretty sure people are complaining of Disney WALLING MORE PERKS that used to be INCLUDED in the fees (aka them removing your actual perks and then putting a new price tag on top)

Aka forcing to pay EVEN MORE for what you used to get.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom