Disney alienates 90% of their guests......What is going on?

Inspired Figment

What’s particuarly BS about all this to me is basically stuff that was offered in the past for all resort guests is now being put behind a pay wall for more expensive resorts in essence. Like.. it’s one thing to have more incentives for higher paying guests, but atleast make them unique to that tier or something exclusive or different than essentially the basics that were offered for every resort guest in the past. Very short-sighted decision for sure..

Disstevefan1

If they weren’t invincible back in the early 80s with their film division hurting them or the early 2000s with both the parks & film division hurting them… I guarantee they’re not invincible now… especially with Chapek in charge. Watch.. this business plan/model isn’t gonna last. “A lot less for a higher price”
I hear you and I used to think like you. The way the theme parks came out of the pandemic stronger than ever has changed my mind. TWDC is simply too big to fail.

As for the theme park business, the only possible way they could fail is if Disney sells off the theme park business. Maybe someday TWDC will need some cash and will make this ultimate short sighted money grab.

How about this - they sell off the theme park business for big money (knowing it will fail) let the theme parks flounder for a few years then buy them back for bargain price! Fans will Cheer! The theme parks are saved!! The MOBS will return.

Disney wins. Disney always wins.

drizgirl

Nothing is to big to fail----- Disney included
I agree. It won't happen overnight. But in dribs and drabs, it's possible.

Right now the people who grew up watching Walt introduce the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night have money to spend. I think this group is determined to go regardless of how Disney treats them. Eventually these people will be gone. Will the next generation have the nostalgia for Disney to put up with the less that stellar treatment? Maybe. Maybe not.

John park hopper

I agree. It won't happen overnight. But in dribs and drabs, it's possible.

Right now the people who grew up watching Walt introduce the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night have money to spend. I think this group is determined to go regardless of how Disney treats them. Eventually these people will be gone. Will the next generation have the nostalgia for Disney to put up with the less that stellar treatment? Maybe. Maybe not.
Good point --I grew up on the original Mickey Mouse Club and the Wonderful World of Color and the old Diseny movies. Thought not a Disney fanatic I totally enjoyed WDW in the early days- took my kids but--They don not have the same feeling as I do towards Disney. They vacation elsewhere. Now that they have kids they have gone to WDW but there is no desire to go regularly and that maybe a looming problem for Disney in the future. Time will tell

Weather_Lady

I disagree. The rooms at the Royal Pacific are excellent; the beds were more comfortable than any bed I've ever had at WDW. But even if you don't think they're quite as good, they're still a better value since they're at least comparable to a deluxe and cost significantly less. I paid less to stay at the Royal Pacific than it would have cost to stay at a WDW moderate the same week. Location aside (i.e. just based on the hotel facilities themselves), if I could stay at either the Polynesian or the Royal Pacific for the same price I'd choose the Royal Pacific every single time.

I don't blame Disney for their seemingly ridiculous hotel prices, though. People are paying it. There's no reason for them to cut rates if the rooms are selling.
I'm with you. We've stayed at both Hard Rock and Royal Pacific, back-to-back with split stays at Beach Club and the Polynesian Villas. In both cases, our Disney deluxe room was no better, and the hotel offered no greater amenities, than the Universal premium ones, and in some aspects (e.g., charging stations, bathroom layout) the Universal rooms were better. Also in each case, the price for the Universal hotel rooms was over a third less expensive than the Disney DVC studios* -- more on par with the cost of a Disney moderate resort, and of course came with the hugely valuable benefit of Unlimited Express Pass.

Candidly, since we've stayed onsite at Universal a few times, I don't view the value of the Disney hotels -- and particularly their pricing -- as favorably as I did before I had some basis for comparison. In Biblical terms, my "eyes were opened, and I saw that I was naked[ly overspending]." ;)

*In the interest of full disclosure: all of these rooms were discounted below their regular rack rate, due to Universal APH discounts and Disney DVC points rental, but the discount rate was similar. In other words, whether I compare the discounted cost or the rack rate cost, the Universal rooms were over a third less expensive than the Disney DVC studios (or the comparable standard rooms at the same Disney resorts).

Last edited:

SpoiledBlueMilk

Um, it's not always an option for people to just pay more.
I almost always stay deluxe and for me, it's worth it. But I don't think people who stay at Pop or CBR deserve less of a magical visit. That's such a wrong way to view it. I want anyone staying on property to get the magical extras.
Yes and no. If I'm paying deluxe rates, then I should get something extra that the moderates and value resorts don't get. However, the pool of extras shouldn't be limited to deluxe only. I always stay deluxe - either on the monorail loop or the Epcot trail because I like the proximity and the feel of being right there as close as possible to the gates. I know I'm not getting a room that equates to a boutique hotel, but the ease and convenience is worth it to me. Having access to these extras makes it even more of a no-brainer, but that shouldn't mean a guest at POP should be denied their share of magic.

SpoiledBlueMilk

This is Disney’s perfect visitor to WDW, and there are many of them. There are also many who fly:
Yes I can accept no DME because I would rather fly in any event and besides gas prices are at a 7 year high.
I can accept no free parking because I flew in.

A big requirement of being a WDW fan is the ability to rationalize everything.
Disney wins again.
I never found DME as a valuable extra. Nothing like getting off a plane and getting in line to wait for the Mickey equivalent of mass transit on a crowded loud bus with multiple stops to jump-start the magic. I started using Blacklane to get me to and from the airport. Limousine service on demand through an app. Much easier way to go.

SpoiledBlueMilk

My wife and I recently stayed at Yacht and Beach Club and fell in love being able to walk to and from our favorite park (Epcot). Walking back at the end of the night when we were tired and seeing the massive Skyliner line made us very happy with our choice. On top of that the access to the pool at Y&BC was incredible and well worth an up charge in our eyes.

That said, we know we are spending a lot for a little in comparison to offsite resorts. We could get a bigger room, a kitchen, even save a lot of money but to us the convenience and the experience is why we spend more.

With all the advantages of staying in the bubble disappearing it makes me happy to see an advantage to stay in a Deluxe beyond the convenience. In my eyes:

- Offsite: Save a lot or get much more for the same price. Least convenient but saves a lot in the process.

- On-site Value/Moderate: Pay more, get the convenience and you’re in the bubble.

- On-site Deluxe/Villa: Pay the most but have the most convenience. Now with a little extra to “justify” the very high costs.

Disney trips to me amount to “time equals money”. The more time I get to spend in the park the more money I’m willing to spend.
A trip to WDW is a moment-by-moment exercise in opportunity cost.

John park hopper

Disstevefan1

I never found DME as a valuable extra. Nothing like getting off a plane and getting in line to wait for the Mickey equivalent of mass transit on a crowded loud bus with multiple stops to jump-start the magic. I started using Blacklane to get me to and from the airport. Limousine service on demand through an app. Much easier way to go.
Excellent. Disney must know what they are doing by removing DME...

aliceismad

I know I'm not getting a room that equates to a boutique hotel, but the ease and convenience is worth it to me.
I agree that the convenience of location for several deluxes is a huge benefit in itself.
Easier, yes. But as you stated, many of the people who want to go to Disney are middle class. For them, DME (and not needing to lug bags around) was a huge convenience, especially when traveling with children, strollers, etc. For someone who is debating whether to stay offsite vs. an All-Star, DME was a great benefit that didn't cost extra. A limo service or even car service is a luxury many would not consider.

Ayla

I agree that the convenience of location for several deluxes is a huge benefit in itself.

Easier, yes. But as you stated, many of the people who want to go to Disney are middle class. For them, DME (and not needing to lug bags around) was a huge convenience, especially when traveling with children, strollers, etc. For someone who is debating whether to stay offsite vs. an All-Star, DME was a great benefit that didn't cost extra. A limo service or even car service is a luxury many would not consider.
Why would you spend money when you have a free option that is more convenient? I could afford a limo, but would never be obnoxious enough to use one when a free option is available.

aliceismad

Why would you spend money when you have a free option that is more convenient? I could afford a limo, but would never be obnoxious enough to use one when a free option is available.
I don't think using a car service is obnoxious. Not having to wait in line for DME is more convenient for some people. I don't think either method of transportation is better than another. They all employ people. But for me, personally, DME was our method of choice for WDW.

SpoiledBlueMilk

No that's Social Stratification.

I can't affored to stay at a deluxe. How do you think it makes me feel when people with money can give me the finger, laugh, as the walk into somewhere I am not allowed simply because I am poor? I save for a long time to go to WDW because it was magical for us. Think it's magical any more?
Staying at a deluxe resort doesn't grant special access to areas of the parks others can't get. Paying more can get you perks, yes, but that's true of anything.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I'm not rolling into the Poly in a stretch Cadillac. That would be obnoxious. Think town car, not prom night. Plus it's significantly more convenient. Get off the plane, go to the same level that everyone is lining up to get onto DME except you're met with a driver (who knows your flight number and arrival times) who takes you directly to your hotel with amenities like cold water, snacks, and device chargers? Plus unlike Uber, you know exactly what kind of car you're going to get and since Blacklane contracts with professional drivers, the cars are always clean. For me, that is convenience worth the money charged. That's the lovely thing about the free market. I used the Minnie Van service to the airport until Disney canceled the program. Services like Uber, Lyft and Blacklane are there to fill the demand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom