Disney After Hours returns to the Magic Kingdom at new lower pricing

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
In either December 1988 or December 1991, I was able to ride Space Mountain over and over. 18 times in a row total, in fact. And it was first thing in the morning, with little to no wait for any of my rides.

ThemeParkJunkee

Another day, another upcharge event. More of the same on the message boards these days. I mentioned in another thread...

I feel like the WDW website will soon just be a menu with add ons and check boxes. Reserve resort, add ticket choice then up pops the page with fifty or so add-on (read upcharges) with brief descriptions and prices to add. This gives the guest the impression, "you have just purchased the basic package which does not include: a good spot to watch fireworks shows, decent transportation between parks (hopper purchase required), a place to rest and regroup, access to certain characters etc. etc....

My head is spinning.

This was in the Express Transportation thread. Getting out the popcorn and waiting for the new WDW booking page as described to show up.

21stamps

In either December 1988 or December 1991, I was able to ride Space Mountain over and over. 18 times in a row total, in fact. And it was first thing in the morning, with little to no wait for any of my rides.
Wow. That's extremely impressive and must have been amazing! Was the temperature very cold or something? Or just a random slow day?
The closest I ever got to that was being able to skip the line in the late 80s because my grandmother traveled with us and was in a wheel chair those years. Not sure if they still do this, but we walked in what I think was a different entrance to a few of the attractions.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
I'm asking this in all seriousness, When has there been a time where you could walk on a ride? Ones such as Space Mountain, 7DMT, or BTMR? I have been going to WDW since 1978. Annually...minus the years 2010-2014.
Once I was an adult my trips were either day ones, or 2-3 nights only. Typically just for F&W, and once in the summer of 2006 when I took my niece and nephew. Not one of those times as a child or an adult was I ever able to walk on a major attraction with 0 wait time. I'm just curious what time of year people experienced this.

During the 90s in the fall and winter when I went. If it was a late night (11pm close)after the fireworks or first parade, attractions like splash, space, and thunder were walk ons till close. I remember trips were we re-rodesplash 4 times in a row and then making a mad dash over to tomorrow land to do space untill park close over and over again. The longest part of the wait was running the queue, especially at splash which had a ginormous one prior to fast past being installed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
During the 90s in the fall and winter when I went. If it was a late night (11pm close)after the fireworks or first parade, attractions like splash, space, and thunder were walk ons till close. I remember trips were we re-rodesplash 4 times in a row and then making a mad dash over to tomorrow land to do space untill park close over and over again. The longest part of the wait was running the queue, especially at splash which had a ginormous one prior to fast past being installed.

Heck you could do that right up to the beginning of the Iger era when the attractions were run for maximum capacity not staff optimization.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I suppose if you can provide evidence that supports your statement "Not one single complaint about pricing has Disney ever cared about, or changed their mind about raising a particular price on something." then I could offer a few examples in which they did.
I stated that since you have better information, then please provide an example. My statement was based on a few insiders stating that while Disney reads these forums, they don't take action on anything said here, as we are a minuscule portion of their visitors. That is my only "proof", and it is obviously only anecdotal at best. You sound like you have real information, and I was asking for one example. Food, beverage, merch, whichever.

Bocabear

Even in the last 10 years I have been at the parks...between Thanksgiving and before the Christmas crowds, and had little or no wait on most attractions. That all eneded a few years back, and with the new Fastpass Plus system it seems like everything in the park is always totally full and backed up. Seems like the parks are busier than ever... wonder why then are they so stingy with the money for improvements and new attractions?

jakeman

Heck you could do that right up to the beginning of the Iger era when the attractions were run for maximum capacity not staff optimization.
This is not true.

I can tell you first hand that attractions were not run at maximum capacity unless needed "before Iger".

Last edited:

drizgirl

I stated that since you have better information, then please provide an example. My statement was based on a few insiders stating that while Disney reads these forums, they don't take action on anything said here, as we are a minuscule portion of their visitors. That is my only "proof", and it is obviously only anecdotal at best. You sound like you have real information, and I was asking for one example. Food, beverage, merch, whichever.
I'm sure they don't check in with the online community before every move, but it seems sort of silly to say they do in fact read, but don't take any action based on anything they see. Seems like a waste of effort. Why would they invest in having people read the forums then?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm sure they don't check in with the online community before every move, but it seems sort of silly to say they do in fact read, but don't take any action based on anything they see. Seems like a waste of effort. Why would they invest in having people read the forums then?
Because you can gauge your most ardent critics. Bu that doesn't mean that changes anything.

drizgirl

Yeah, but if you're buying single day tickets then you're doing it wrong to begin with.

Ah yes. Competitive vacation planning. My way is better than yours.

Since when is there a wrong way of doing it? Maybe they were doing a Universal trip and wanted to pop into Disney for one day. Maybe some in their group aren't huge Disney fans, and this is all they would agree with. Maybe they were traveling through Orlando on the way to the beach and a one day stop works for them.

Since when is any of that "wrong"?

drizgirl

Even in the last 10 years I have been at the parks...between Thanksgiving and before the Christmas crowds, and had little or no wait on most attractions. That all eneded a few years back, and with the new Fastpass Plus system it seems like everything in the park is always totally full and backed up. Seems like the parks are busier than ever... wonder why then are they so stingy with the money for improvements and new attractions?

That's because the biggest value of MDE was giving Disney the ability to adjust staffing levels downward when they see advance FP reservations pointing toward smaller crowds on a given day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Why care about your critics if you don't plan to change a single thing?
You'll have to ask Spirit, as he's the one that made the statements that they read here, but nothing changes. He's said it more than once over the years. And how much time do you really think it takes? I am at work all day, but squeeze in more than enough to get the general feeling of things reported here, and to respond a bit. I'm sure Disney has a few people that do nothing but visit web sites such as these. Maybe they're investigating information leaks, and want to plug the source. Who knows.

Bandini

That's a more reasonable price.

But I just don't think there is enough interest in an event like this, especially when there is nothing truly exclusive being offered. I'm sure this would be more popular if they were to offer exclusive cupcakes or pins or something of that sort. But short lines and some free Mickey bars and beverages isn't unique enough.
This would be great for me when I am in Orlando on business. I could visit MK after work and get my Disney fix. But $136 for park time ( if you include parking) is kind of hard for me to justify.

drizgirl

This would be great for me when I am in Orlando on business. I could visit MK after work and get my Disney fix. But $136 for park time ( if you include parking) is kind of hard for me to justify.

It really is when you compare it to the hard ticket parties, even the higher priced parties this year. Those have special theming, parades, shows and characters you can't see during a regular park day. You would think maybe that means this event would set itself apart with lower crowds, but for me to plunk down the money, Disney would need to prove it would be lower crowds by sharing some hard numbers. Which I know they won't do. Because then it can't be a moving target.

SorcererMC

Another day, another upcharge event

But on the 7th Day of upcharges, they lowered prices. Well-played, Disney.

I feel like the WDW website will soon just be a menu with add ons and check boxes. Reserve resort, add ticket choice then up pops the page with fifty or so add-on (read upcharges) with brief descriptions and prices to add. This gives the guest the impression, "you have just purchased the basic package which does not include: a good spot to watch fireworks shows, decent transportation between parks (hopper purchase required), a place to rest and regroup, access to certain characters etc. etc....

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but if they did a menu like that, it would make it too easy for the consumer (especially a new one) to plan their vacation and see what they are paying, eg sticker shock. The average family who goes to WDW once or twice every 2-3 years would then be 'too aware' of the increase in price vs. all of the magical new (upcharge) experiences they can have...and may decide to go elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom