Disney After Hours returns to the Magic Kingdom at new lower pricing

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I was referring to the mindset of the company at one point in time and the confidence they had in knowing that they had a superior product and allowed (even wanted) the experience of the guest to unfold in a story book fashion. They have now become so creatively uninterested in their product that they rely more on nostalgia and even go so far as to exploit and profit off the higher level narrative that was once included in the experience.
If you stay off the internet, it isn't any different.

Bandini

You are offended by that detail?
Oh, I am traumatized by it! First of all, I think of all the peanuts who sacrificed their little shells to create imprints in the cement. Also, I am allergic to peanuts, so the area causes me to hyperventilate!
(kidding)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I did not say ALL of EPCOT. Even what was open on Day 1 was far more than FLE offers and still done with less technology and in less time.
So I agree that it takes longer now. Complaining doesn't change it, and never will. Just something in life that we all have to get used to. We have road projects here that take 8-10 years, when it could have been done in 1 or 2. Just a fact of life we can't change, have no control over, and shouldn't stress over either.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
I get that. I don't think it's something that everyone is going to do or even have interest in on their vacation. (side note- price for me would be $89 with the AP discount. So depending on how cheap of a flight I can find it may be a fun and once in a lifetime thing to do with a few of my girlfriends). Here's a list of my idea of the "types of visitors" that I think Disney is targeting with this-
Adults who think they would enjoy an (almost) stroller free park. ;)
Florida Residents.
Orlando vacationers who are staying offsite bc they go to Orlando for all of the tourist stuff, not just the Mouse.
Universal travelers who may decide to head to MK for one night because of this unique event.
Anyone else who fits in the 1 day ticket category.
Families staying onsite who like the idea of walk on attractions.
Families or Adults only on a 2-4 night stay onsite who want to maximize their time at the parks.
Families or Adult only parties who just want to experience something "different" at MK.

I do not think Disney's intention with this is to appeal to everyone. It should appeal to enough for it to be a success though.

That's seemingly at odds with Disney's strategy for the past two decades. They're looking for long-term guests, not day trippers. DVC was and is a major component of this by attracting long term guests. Disney makes more money with a guest staying two weeks than one that does a day trip. That's why they incentivize and push DVC, MYW multi day tickets, AP's, etc.

They don't want you staying off property, they want you at a Disney Resort, using Disney Transportation, eating Disney Food, shopping at Disney Springs, using Disney Recreation, and going to Disney Parks.

Epcot Festivals are probably the only exception to this since they actively market it to locals and those looking for a day trip event.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wow. That's extremely impressive and must have been amazing! Was the temperature very cold or something? Or just a random slow day?
The closest I ever got to that was being able to skip the line in the late 80s because my grandmother traveled with us and was in a wheel chair those years. Not sure if they still do this, but we walked in what I think was a different entrance to a few of the attractions.

In the late 70s thru the early 90's, the weeks between the end of Thanksgiving weekend and a few days before Christmas were typically some of the slowest times at WDW, and you could literally walk on to most attractions early in the morning. We visited every 2 or 3 years, almost always during that time, and my grandmother lived in Sarasota from October thru April each year so we would stay with her and visit the parks for a few days. I still remember being at the end of Main Street in the morning, for rope drop, and sprinting to Space Mountain. Also, the crowd for rope drop at that time of year would be a few hundred people, all dispersing to the various "big rides", like Thunder, Haunted, Pirates, and Space. My parents usually went to Fantasyland, where the rides more their speed were. ;)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So instead of the company maintaining the high standards they once had or even attempting to improve, We should just avoid the internet? That will certainly fix things!
You complained that they put out imagineering videos that pointed out little details that people used to discover on there own. I said you still can by simply not watching the videos. Can you honestly state that the details in the new areas they have been building over the last 5 years, hasn't been just like they used to? Get real. Even FLE is full of wonderful little details like they used to, and the new lands in Pandora and Star Wars look to be even better.

draybook

Ah yes. Competitive vacation planning. My way is better than yours.

Since when is there a wrong way of doing it? Maybe they were doing a Universal trip and wanted to pop into Disney for one day. Maybe some in their group aren't huge Disney fans, and this is all they would agree with. Maybe they were traveling through Orlando on the way to the beach and a one day stop works for them.

Since when is any of that "wrong"?

You mad?

21stamps

That's seemingly at odds with Disney's strategy for the past two decades. They're looking for long-term guests, not day trippers. DVC was and is a major component of this by attracting long term guests. Disney makes more money with a guest staying two weeks than one that does a day trip. That's why they incentivize and push DVC, MYW multi day tickets, AP's, etc.

They don't want you staying off property, they want you at a Disney Resort, using Disney Transportation, eating Disney Food, shopping at Disney Springs, using Disney Recreation, and going to Disney Parks.

Epcot Festivals are probably the only exception to this since they actively market it to locals and those looking for a day trip event.

Of course that's what they want. The fact is, not everyone does it though. My recent trip was the only time in my entire life that I went to Orlando and never left Disney property. It was the first and will be the last. Nothing against Disney, but that's not how I usually vacation.

What a company wants and what they know exist are 2 different things. They know there are plenty of 1 day ticket people, and they know that not everyone is coming to Florida for Disney World exclusively. So it would make sense to do a limited time event- one that will be attractive to a segment of the Orlando traveler, who are not staying on site, those have no wish to for WDW to be the focus of their vacation, but may like a day or evening at MK. Those people do exist. They're visiting Orlando as a side trip for a few days or maybe a little longer, fresh off their beach vacation or visiting family on the Gulf or Atlantic. Then you have the Universal on site people, this could be a great option for them as well, so they can "do it all" at MK in a short amount of time.

Disneymom201

I get that. I don't think it's something that everyone is going to do or even have interest in on their vacation. (side note- price for me would be $89 with the AP discount. So depending on how cheap of a flight I can find it may be a fun and once in a lifetime thing to do with a few of my girlfriends). Here's a list of my idea of the "types of visitors" that I think Disney is targeting with this-
Adults who think they would enjoy an (almost) stroller free park. ;)
Florida Residents.
Orlando vacationers who are staying offsite bc they go to Orlando for all of the tourist stuff, not just the Mouse.
Universal travelers who may decide to head to MK for one night because of this unique event.
Anyone else who fits in the 1 day ticket category.
Families staying onsite who like the idea of walk on attractions.
Families or Adults only on a 2-4 night stay onsite who want to maximize their time at the parks.
Families or Adult only parties who just want to experience something "different" at MK.

I do not think Disney's intention with this is to appeal to everyone. It should appeal to enough for it to be a success though.
That's my exact thinking. We are sailing The Wonder on 2/19. Staying with family a few days before. Thinking we could get a lot done in that short time frame for just about the same cost as a one day MK park ticket.

21stamps

In the late 70s thru the early 90's, the weeks between the end of Thanksgiving weekend and a few days before Christmas were typically some of the slowest times at WDW, and you could literally walk on to most attractions early in the morning. We visited every 2 or 3 years, almost always during that time, and my grandmother lived in Sarasota from October thru April each year so we would stay with her and visit the parks for a few days. I still remember being at the end of Main Street in the morning, for rope drop, and sprinting to Space Mountain. Also, the crowd for rope drop at that time of year would be a few hundred people, all dispersing to the various "big rides", like Thunder, Haunted, Pirates, and Space. My parents usually went to Fantasyland, where the rides more their speed were. ;)
I was never there that time of year until 2 weeks ago. All of my previous trips have been March-October. As a kid we mostly went during Spring Break..combined with Siesta Key so I know (knew) Sarasota well! Loved it there. Your trips sounds a lot less crowded than mine were for sure. I also don't think we ever arrived at MK at park opening, that probably played a factor also.
That's my exact thinking. We are sailing The Wonder on 2/19. Staying with family a few days before. Thinking we could get a lot done in that short time frame for just about the same cost as a one day MK park ticket.
For sure! It would be a lot less hectic than a full day at MK. Perfect start to a cruise vacation!

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
Of course that's what they want. The fact is, not everyone does it though. My recent trip was the only time in my entire life that I went to Orlando and never left Disney property. It was the first and will be the last. Nothing against Disney, but that's not how I usually vacation.

What a company wants and what they know exist are 2 different things. They know there are plenty of 1 day ticket people, and they know that not everyone is coming to Florida for Disney World exclusively. So it would make sense to do a limited time event- one that will be attractive to a segment of the Orlando traveler, who are not staying on site, those have no wish to for WDW to be the focus of their vacation, but may like a day or evening at MK. Those people do exist. They're visiting Orlando as a side trip for a few days or maybe a little longer, fresh off their beach vacation or visiting family on the Gulf or Atlantic. Then you have the Universal on site people, this could be a great option for them as well, so they can "do it all" at MK in a short amount of time.

You're situation looks to be the exception rather than the normal. The majority of Disney guests stay more than 1 or 2 days, Disney does everything they can via pricing single day tickets at highest possible price point to discourage this. They sharply discount the longer term tickets to encourage longer stays. It makes no sense to develop a plan contradictory to what their main plan is. While there may be a market for single day visitors, it is very small in comparison to the long term guest, DVC member and AP holder. I think the hangup is that you believe Disney is trying to sell this event to people like yourself who want to do a whirlwind experience and then leave not to come back for while. My thinking is the Disney wants to create a new premium tier of offerings (not just this event) to attract higher margin guests staying at their properties. The problem is that they are scattershot in terms of how they're approaching it. Some things work, (holiday party's) and somethings not so much. The problem is, they're not at a palatable price point to maximize a return on this event.

(I'm not advocating this) But an interesting approach to this entire fiasco, would have been to make the offering available to Deluxe Resort and DVC guests only at a sharply discounted rate from $119 and maybe boost the room rates, or tradeoff on free dining etc. You don't necessarily see the entire cost of the event upfront since it is buried in the room rate.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Rly? Do you not understand the point was FIX THE CONTENT ... and your solution was CLOSE YOUR EYES??
They are fixing the content. His point is that they put out videos about the details and people don't search out the details on their own. My point was - don't watch the videos.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom