Disney After Hours returns to the Magic Kingdom at new lower pricing

Bandini

No it was complete. I had gotten a message thanking me, but I can't remember the exact wording of it.
If Disney wanted to know how all guests felt about their vacation experience they wouldn't have ended the survey when you said you had visited other WDW related websites. I think they cherry pick for a certain type of responders. I've had the same experience so, I too answered no to the question on my most recent survey.

But I have usually sent an e-mail to guest services for both negative or positive experiences.

asianway

There are two After Hours dates in 2017 that are exclusively for DVC members, Feb. 24 and March 3. And they are free for DVC members (who purchased their points directly from Disney or from the resale market prior to April 4, 2016). First crack goes to those who are staying on-site during these dates, the crumbs go to any other DVC members.
The DVC events are not the same thing. After Hours is basically keeping the park open another few hours. DVC is more like a corporate party with "rare" characters, special fireworks, and only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open. The later holds more value to me, and if they were to add buffet stations and banquet bars and make it $199 I'd think it would be immensely popular even within this site.

Though After Hours would hold value for someone with limited park time, I think it's too narrow a niche.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
What other choices should be there? What would make a survey more accurate than that list? On the next page was "What specifically did you like most about the event?" with a blank space to fill in your answer. The next page was "What specifically did you like least..."
I'm just trying to figure out what else could be asked to get honest feedback from the customer, or what you guys perceive as "skewed".

All they hypotheticals you list assume that there was a component of the event that you liked. If there was a question that asked what did you NOT LIKE, it would be a more honest survey. I know it's just word symantecs but it makes a tremendous difference in how the event is analyzed if there is no non-affirmative answer.

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
I love how a few people claim they are criticizing something bc they are making a point and want to discuss that point... Yet when they are asked a question about said critism, asking them to actually discuss how it could be fixed to their liking..they can't give a direct answer. Amusing.

Get over yourself. Plenty of people here have given you direct answers, you just don't care to listen to them.

21stamps

All they hypotheticals you list assume that there was a component of the event that you liked. If there was a question that asked what did you NOT LIKE, it would be a more honest survey. I know it's just word symantecs but it makes a tremendous difference in how the event is analyzed if there is no non-affirmative answer.
I didn't list any hypotheticals. I listed the words and choices of an actual survey. A response to "what did you like least" OR "what did you not like" typed by the person who attended would have the exact same answer. Wouldn't they? How would the response be different?

SorcererMC

I'm just trying to figure out what else could be asked to get honest feedback from the customer, or what you guys perceive as "skewed".
(@monothingie here's one more)

The survey is skewed because 4 out of responses give a neutral or positive response and only 1 out of the 5 potential responses is negative. A valid survey would offer an equal range of possible positive/negative responses, eg very good, good, fair/ neutral, poor, very poor; or usually a 1-10 scale. Why does Disney feel the need to skew their surveys positive? Most people will give positive answers without prompting unless they've had an overwhelmingly negative experience....so when the Disney survey data is aggregated, the negative surveys will constitute a small percentage of results, or possibly be considered an outlier and thrown out.

SorcererMC

I didn't list any hypotheticals. I listed the words and choices of an actual survey. A response to "what did you like least" OR "what did you not like" typed by the person who attended would have the exact same answer. Wouldn't they? How would the response be different?
No - it is how the question is framed. 'What did you like least' presumes they still liked whatever was least satisfying (ie an existing positive reaction), whereas 'what did you not like' presumes an existing negative reaction. ETA: but asking what you did not like provides balance to the question 'what did you like'.

21stamps

No - it is how the question is framed. 'What did you like least' presumes they still liked whatever was least satisfying (ie an existing positive reaction), whereas 'what did you not like' presumes an existing negative reaction. ETA: but asking what you did not like provides balance to the question 'what did you like'.
So either way is presuming something, but your take is that they should presume an existing negative? Do you think the answer to the question would be the same either way?

SorcererMC

So either way is presuming something, but your take is that they should presume an existing negative? Do you think the answer to the question would be the same either way?
It's not that they should presume an existing negative - they should provide equal options for positive and negative, it's fine to ask both - what did you like?, and then ask, what didn't you like? (sometimes a survey will say, 'if any'). Overall, the questions should be phrased in a neutral manner. Skewing the question positive or negative prompts the respondent to give a positive or negative response.

21stamps

It's not that they should presume an existing negative - they should provide equal options for positive and negative, it's fine to ask both - what did you like?, and then ask, what didn't you like? (sometimes a survey will say, 'if any'). Overall, the questions should be phrased in a neutral manner. Skewing the question positive or negative prompts the respondent to give a positive or negative response.
Would it have prompted a different answer if the survey was worded "what did you not like" vs "what did you like least"?

SorcererMC

Would it have prompted a different answer if the survey was worded "what did you not like" vs "what did you like least"?
Yes - this is what I was trying to explain. Asking a respondent 'what they did not like' is valid if they have also asked what they did like. Asking the question, 'what did you like least?' is prompting the respondent to answer or describe a negative experience in a positive light....'liked least' is like saying it's your least favorite - you still liked it.
It's like Stephen Colbert when he asks 'great president or greatest president?' Either way the answer is skewed positive.

21stamps

Yes - this is what I was trying to explain. Asking a respondent 'what they did not like' is valid if they have also asked what they did like. Asking the question, 'what did you like least?' is prompting the respondent to answer or describe a negative experience in a positive light....'liked least' is like saying it's your least favorite - you still liked it.
It's like Stephen Colbert when he asks 'great president or greatest president?' Either way the answer is positive.

I'll agree to disagree. Liked and Liked Least. Good and Poor.-- These are very different to me than a choice between Great and Greatest. Especially when "Liked Least" is not a multiple choice answer, it is your own composed text, providing you the space to express any opinions of change you would like to see or so you can express "not liking" a specific thing and why.

Maybe I just give people too much credit in assuming they would respond the same to either word choice.

SorcererMC

I'll agree to disagree. Liked and Liked Least. Good and Poor.-- These are very different to me than a choice between Great and Greatest. Especially when "Liked Least" is not a multiple choice answer, it is your own composed text, providing you the space to express any opinions of change you would like to see or so you can express "not liking" a specific thing and why.

Maybe I just give people too much credit in assuming they would respond the same to either word choice.
It is fine to make that assumption if you are not a market researcher ;) . If a market researcher wants to produce a valid survey, they will try to eliminate positive and negative bias.

ETA: if you have any interest, this blog describes some common biases in market research
http://www.quirks.com/articles/9-types-of-research-bias-and-how-to-avoid-them
(when I first posted this, the article was on a business' website, so changing it to the original source)

Last edited:

21stamps

It is fine to make that assumption if you are not a market researcher ;) . If a market researcher wants to produce a valid survey, they will try to eliminate positive and negative bias.
I agree. The problem is, as you also stated, either way that you pose the question you are assuming something. The question in itself is impossible to be phrased in a completely neutral way.

The main point of my post though, was that there are selections besides just "magical". The phone survey is similar. It would not make sense for Disney to ask a survey that only gave options of "great" or "greatest". Defeats the purpose and would be throwing money away, as well as not knowing what their customers want or don't want. I do not believe (I'm assuming here) that you think a Survey from that company is only to get a rave review. It just doesn't make sense. That's not what market research is.

SorcererMC

I agree. The problem is, as you also stated, either way that you pose the question you are assuming something. The question in itself is impossible to be phrased in a completely neutral way.

The main point of my post though, was that there are selections besides just "magical". The phone survey is similar. It would not make sense for Disney to ask a survey that only gave options of "great" or "greatest". Defeats the purpose and would be throwing money away, as well as not knowing what their customers want or don't want. I do not believe (I'm assuming here) that you think a Survey from that company is only to get a rave review. It just doesn't make sense. That's not what market research is.

Not either way, it depends on the order of the questions. Asking what you like and then asking what you don't like.

21stamps

Not either way, it depends on the order of the questions. Asking what you like and then asking what you don't like.
So let me ask it this way, Do you believe that Disney only wants positive feedback? That they do not want to accurately gage what their customers like or dislike? That the feedback does not influence their decisions?

SorcererMC

So let me ask it this way, Do you believe that Disney only wants positive feedback? That they do not want to accurately gage what their customers like or dislike? That the feedback does not influence their decisions?
Not only positive - it depends on the objective, which may not necessarily be obvious from the survey questions. (ETA: If customer satisfaction survey, then yes, they want mainly positive feedback ie confirmation bias)
A couple of things: 1. I think that their market research is conducted in a way to satisfy the end-user: management, and that the results are used to justify (or reject) new initiatives.
2. I think that they have to serve several types of consumers (domestic/international, families with or without children, young adults, etc), who like different things, and they don't necessarily know what they do or don't like or what they would be willing to pay for (MM+ was supposed to help resolve this). They are increasing the segmentation of their consumer market via price discrimination, which drives changes in the market, too.
(You posted a good list several pages back of who might be attracted to an After Hours event like this, ETA: many of whom are not the 'traditional' Disney consumer of families with young children).

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

We can't say "any", because I wasn't locked out of my survey after checking that box. It is odd. That's why I'm wondering if Wrangler-Rick was able to log back in. If not then I would definitely send an email or call Disney and complain!

Maybe there are different types of surveys and I'm in the minority..but There always has been for me! Are you guys still there or home? How was/is the trip?
We are at home now" the trip went great even with the insane crowd level. I'll have to do alittle trip report. Learned a lot of new tricks with the magic bands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom