Disney After Hours returns to the Magic Kingdom at new lower pricing

Minnesota disney fan

I guess this is the difference. I like the old queues and their theming. It seems to me the the new interactive queues are entertaining only to the few people that get to play the games or the musical instruments. It's really not that interesting for me to watch. I've also been in lines, 7 DMT for one, where the people playing the game held up the line and wouldn't allow anyone to pass while they finished their game.

In 7dmt, if the guests playing the games linger, I just pass them by. Sometimes they "wake up" and hurry along. I dont' wait for someone who has chosen to stop for a while and play while others are waiting behind them. It's their choice to stop or go on, IMO.

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
I have to ask, what are the letter and visits specifically about? I'm being serious here, I don't have all of the dramatic flare of the previous poster who chose to ignore that point...I think it's worth thinking about- If you (general) are still spending money with them then why would they change? The only way that things will get to where you guys seem to want them to be, is if prices are lowered. Why would a business lower prices if they are thriving?

@ParentsOf4 in his analysis of P+R can explain it better than any of us could hope to. Assuming his numbers are on point, which they always are, your supposition is wrong. Guests are spending money, but the numbers are not as good as they have been. This in turn is correlated with a marginal decrease in attendance, disappointing revenue numbers, and variation in resort bookings. Again @ParentsOf4 does a better job of explaining this than me.

Domestic revenue was up a weak 4.6%. For reference, it averaged 10.0% from 2012 to 2015. The slow grow is a bit deceptive since last year’s number included an extra week. Still, even taking that into account, it’s the weakest performance since the last recession despite the most favorable consumer market in nearly a decade. Operating income was up 14.7%, better but still below its recent annual average of 21.3%.

Domestic attendance was down 1%, the effect of an announced strategy to increase prices to ease overcrowding through higher prices. Again, last year included an extra week. Over a comparable period attendance was up by about 1%. Really though, the goal was to improve margin by driving away low-value customers. It’s a tactic employed by many businesses today, where total profit is less important than return on investment. Some will point to attendance as a sign that Disney has overreached but, in doing so, they’ll miss what Disney is really trying to achieve: higher margin. Per Capita Guest Spending (PCGS) was up a healthy 7%, roughly where’s it’s been since 2012; Guests are still spending.

Hotel occupancy improved to 89%, up considerably from a few years ago when it averaged 81%. There’s a little smoke-and-mirrors here. The actual number of occupied rooms fell slightly from last year when the occupancy rate was 87%. (The number of available room nights decreased by 2.5%. Again, last year included an extra week, accounting for most but not all of the decline in available room nights.) Whether its 88% or 89%, it’s still a very good number. Per Room Guest Spending (PRGS) was up a weak 3.4% compared to the previous 4 years when it averaged 5.2%. Let’s see what happens with next year’s unusually steep 4.5% rack rate increase.

Last edited:

rael ramone

Letters and visits to Guest Relations are an essential part of expressing one's dissatisfaction with WDW's trajectory, Posting here is good too see what happened with GotG update v1.0, Of course they later doubled down on stupidity and refuse to see it as a bad idea.

I've said this before.

Between the last trip and the trip before it that I took, I noticed a definite improvement in cleanliness. Although it still wasn't up to the standards that both it's Heritage as well as it's Price Point requires, things that were consistently bad one year (fluids on the floors in EVERY high use bathroom) were attended to often (but not always) the next - on 2 occasions saw CM's spray a rag attached to a push stick to address it and you could go into a high use bathroom at 4pm and they'd be relatively clean. Cleanliness has been a sticking point in the past in these forums (if my memory serves me correct there was a wave of pictures posted of overflowing trashcans) - and I'm sure was in direct visits and followup correspondence with Guest Relations.

In any rate, an article recently about using technology to track/assign jobs to Tomorrowland Janitorial services mentioned a reason that they were taking this step was due to guest complaints about cleanliness... (there was a thread about it here, too).

Complaining about issues isn't necessarily a lost cause - it might even nudge them to address things...

21stamps

I've said this before.

Between the last trip and the trip before it that I took, I noticed a definite improvement in cleanliness. Although it still wasn't up to the standards that both it's Heritage as well as it's Price Point requires, things that were consistently bad one year (fluids on the floors in EVERY high use bathroom) were attended to often (but not always) the next - on 2 occasions saw CM's spray a rag attached to a push stick to address it and you could go into a high use bathroom at 4pm and they'd be relatively clean. Cleanliness has been a sticking point in the past in these forums (if my memory serves me correct there was a wave of pictures posted of overflowing trashcans) - and I'm sure was in direct visits and followup correspondence with Guest Relations.

In any rate, an article recently about using technology to track/assign jobs to Tomorrowland Janitorial services mentioned a reason that they were taking this step was due to guest complaints about cleanliness... (there was a thread about it here, too).

Complaining about issues isn't necessarily a lost cause - it might even nudge them to address things...
I agree. Things like this should be expressed, and need to be expressed. Current prices on the other hand, or upcharge events, I don't quite understand how someone composes an email complaining about those, after they choose to pay the current prices, and then expect that Disney will lower them.

HauntedMansionFLA

Letters and visits to Guest Relations are an essential part of expressing one's dissatisfaction with WDW's trajectory, Posting here is good too see what happened with GotG update v1.0, Of course they later doubled down on stupidity and refuse to see it as a bad idea.
We were at WDW this past week. A nice girl at EPCOT asked if she could have my email address so Disney could send me a survey. I said I would be happy to give my email. I'm looking forward to at least giving Disney some well thought out thoughts about what to do with EPCOT to enhance the park. I'll probably tell them to pull the trigger and make the park into MK 2.0 - Disney IP's to take over.

rael ramone

I agree. Things like this should be expressed, and need to be expressed. Current prices on the other hand, or upcharge events, I don't quite understand how someone composes an email complaining about those, after they choose to pay the current prices, and then expect that Disney will lower them.

A person can choose to give the Mouse less of their money by downsizing their trip and curtailing their spending. Or sharing less of their Vacation Budget with the Mouse and more of it at businesses outside the bubble. (Or sometimes it isn't an active decision - the $$$ simply isn't in the individual/families budget).

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
We were at WDW this past week. A nice girl at EPCOT asked if she could have my email address so Disney could send me a survey. I said I would be happy to give my email. I'm looking forward to at least giving Disney some well thought out thoughts about what to do with EPCOT to enhance the park. I'll probably tell them to pull the trigger and make the park into MK 2.0 - Disney IP's to take over.
When you get to the questions regarding your use of non-Disney fan websites, make sure you say no. If you answer yes, you will immediately get booted from the survey... ;)

Bandini

Every time I've received a survey, it contains very specific question and answer selections. There is no wiggle room and no area for additional comments. Half the time there's not an appropriate answer for me to select, unless my experience can be described as "magical".

21stamps

IMG_9156.PNG
Every time I've received a survey, it contains very specific question and answer selections. There is no wiggle room and no area for additional comments. Half the time there's not an appropriate answer for me to select, unless my experience can be described as "magical".

Here's a few screen shots of a survey that I filled out. A few more options than just "magical". There was also 3 areas where it asked me specifically to comment.

IMG_9152.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_9154.PNG
    IMG_9154.PNG
    271.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9157.PNG
    IMG_9157.PNG
    218.7 KB · Views: 49

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Now you've done it jakeman and his cronies will be telling everyone you are LYING about surveys not giving you the option to express a negative opinion, I do so love the so called 'surveys' where you can only express a positive opinion.

Bandini

When you get to the questions regarding your use of non-Disney fan websites, make sure you say no. If you answer yes, you will immediately get booted from the survey... ;)
So does Disney only want answers from people that haven't researched WDW, prior to their visit? I just don't get that.

Bandini

Now you've done it jakeman and his cronies will be telling everyone you are LYING about surveys not giving you the option to express a negative opinion, I do so love the so called 'surveys' where you can only express a positive opinion.
Yup. Here I am citing my personal experience, but obviously I'm lying. I've had the same type of survey in person, and it's really frustrating when you try explaining that none of the answers provided are appropriate, and the CM tells you to pick the one that's closest to your answer. Really? How can you do that?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
See the screenshots that I posted.

It's fine to criticize something, but can we do it without embellishing or telling flat out lies?

Just because YOU do not have access to the source material does not make the statement a lie, nor does the fact that you don't like something make it a lie. Hopefully @Bandini had the foresight to do some screen captures, As for me Disney surveys have not gotten answered in a long time because of the 'only positive answer' mode they were delivered in.

Bandini

Just because YOU do not have access to the source material does not make the statement a lie, nor does the fact that you don't like something make it a lie. Hopefully @Bandini had the foresight to do some screen captures, As for me Disney surveys have not gotten answered in a long time because of the 'only positive answer' mode they were delivered in.
I can't provide screen shots of the on-line surveys. As for the ones taken in the parks, I never see the actual survey since it's just a Q&A session.
But I really don't care if someone wants to call me a liar because I don't have proof. I just consider the source and move on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can't provide screen shots of the on-line surveys. As for the ones taken in the parks, I never see the actual survey since it's just a Q&A session.
But I really don't care if someone wants to call me a liar because I don't have proof. I just consider the source and move on.

Just be prepared for the onslaught from the 'Defenders of Disney' :), As for me I'm a Honey Badger and I don't care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom