Disney After Hours returns to the Magic Kingdom at new lower pricing

21stamps

Sadly it is on every level now including taking pressure off the transportation failings by upcharge to bypass long commute times between parks and a prehistoric security system to enter a park. Can I tell you how smooth security was at Universal who mocked theirs after modern day TSA airport screening?

I guess one of my greatest disappoints is my favorite moderate resort POR, my kids are grown but we grand opened both the FQ and POR under different names decades ago. On a recent trip (3) we opted for the Bayous over the mansions which is rare for us. Mistake. The longest wall was one piece of mismatched furniture from the window to the bath wall. Even the coat rack was not useable anymore. With the beds now on a platform you can't even slip luggage under the beds. No longer is there a dresser but 3 small drawers under the murphy bed. And this room is for 5 freak'n people? Why not put in a bunkbed in lieu of the other queen like AKL and leave the room functional?

atf-ab55632-rs.jpg

Now how do you hang a coat or poncho on that coat rack. Crawl on floor to use drawers? $200-250 a night. It is getting sad to watch all this unfold.
POR-Room-ABrefurb-2012-5661_large.jpg

The bed in the first picture would take up too much space in the room. It's too long. We have a loft bed with storage, they aren't a standard size bunkbed frame.

I was not a fan of the bunkbed at WL, I didn't need one but it was the only room type left. It made the room feel cramped, with 2 people. I think hotels are more inclined to do murphy beds because of that.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The bed in the first picture would take up too much space in the room. It's too long. We have a loft bed with storage, they aren't a standard size bunkbed frame.

I was not a fan of the bunkbed at WL, I didn't need one but it was the only room type left. It made the room feel cramped, with 2 people. I think hotels are more inclined to do murphy beds because of that.

They can have the ladder system like AKL. We have a short loft bed with a full below with a pull out trundle. It is the same length as my King sized bed. The bunk has standard full and standard twin mattresses as does the AKL

21stamps

They can have the ladder system like AKL. We have a short loft bed with a full below with a pull out trundle. It is the same length as my King sized bed. The bunk has standard full and standard twin mattresses as does the AKL

I have never seen a room at AKL in person. I just know that I didn't like the WL room because of the bunkbed. It had a flat ladder, no stairs, and no storage.

The loft bed that my kid has is the bed, stairs, desk, and cube storage. Loft/bunk beds w/ storage areas and stairs can get tricky.. and bulky..I measured constantly, placed tape outlines down, until I finally decided on what would be ok. If you add a queen bed to the room, or the room is narrow (like a hotel room) I just think it could make for an uncomfortable stay and there may be a lot of complaints as a result.

If you remove the added length of stairs or cubes, and add the storage as drawers at the body of the bed...Then you're left with the same problem, leaning almost to the floor to get anything out. I am a fan of those type of beds though, maybe just adding them to the queen in the room would help.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Enchanted Tales with Belle... Great mirror effect but then entering into the Beast's Castle, why does it look like a Marriott hotel function room...was there not enough money to make the entire space spectacular?
While I've only watched the video online, thank you for describing what I thought while looking at the room. I couldn't place what it looked like.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Think 'Push Polling' they are trying to create a predetermined outcome which matches their narrative with the questions so they can back them up with 'data' for TWDC senior management, Since senior management never visits the parks they get away with it.

This kind of stuff did not happen with Miller/Walker/Eisner because they regularly visited the park as both guests and low level CM's so they had a 'feel' for the parks and their current vibe.

This is all speculative. But thanks...

Marketing. Which some would say is the same thing.

That is not marketing. If you want to fudge a survey, or survey results...you should be gone period. I know at least one company who would not stand for this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is all speculative. But thanks...

Classic push poll type question, Has Candidate A stopped going binge drinking?, The data itself is worthless but it sets up the narrative that 'Candidate A is a binge drinker'. Political Campaigns use this survey methodology all the time, The questions themselves are crafted to create a narrative in the respondents mind the actual results may or may not be used

I theorize it's why so many of the Disney 'surveys' are positive only or mostly positive and that's to market the impression that the guest had an above average vacation.

SorcererMC

I theorize it's why so many of the Disney 'surveys' are positive only or mostly positive and that's to market the impression that the guest had an above average vacation.

Yes, that is one potential effect - asking positively framed questions, which prompt a positive response, encourages one to reflect and think positively about the overall experience. It's part of the psychology of surveys aka establishing expectations and 'inducing judgment', which can enhance appreciation/ loyalty (provided their experience is indeed positive. Otherwise, it can backfire).

A hypothetical - a survey asking what a respondent thinks about the impact of crowds on their experience, and then proposing a solution, say, an After Hours Event, could encourage a respondent to think positively about their Disney experience, eg "It is really crowded but they are planning to address the issue".

[An actual example of how Disney uses it's surveys - recall that Iger says that SDL guests are satisfied with their experience because their surveys show they are staying up to two hours longer than Disney expected (while it could just as well be that they are staying due to longer attraction wait times). Is Iger being deceptive? Not necessarily, as both could be true, but he is highlighting the positive.]

Bandini

Yes, that is one potential effect - asking positively framed questions, which prompt a positive response, encourages one to reflect and think positively about the overall experience. It's part of the psychology of surveys aka establishing expectations and 'inducing judgment', which can enhance appreciation/ loyalty (provided their experience is indeed positive. Otherwise, it can backfire).

A hypothetical - a survey asking what a respondent thinks about the impact of crowds on their experience, and then proposing a solution, say, an After Hours Event, could encourage a respondent to think positively about their Disney experience, eg "It is really crowded but they are planning to address the issue".

[An actual example of how Disney uses it's surveys - recall that Iger says that SDL guests are satisfied with their experience because their surveys show they are staying up to two hours longer than Disney expected (while it could just as well be that they are staying due to longer attraction wait times). Is Iger being deceptive? Not necessarily, as both could be true, but he is highlighting the positive.]
These are great examples. I'm involved in drug development and the data can always be skewed to reflect whatever the company wants to highlight. It's the reason I am so skeptical when I see the words" due to guest demand"

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
These are great examples. I'm involved in drug development and the data can always be skewed to reflect whatever the company wants to highlight. It's the reason I am so skeptical when I see the words" due to guest demand"

Of course data can always be skewed in all industries. The question is whether or not an organization, or people within the organization, engages in such activity.

Bandini

Of course data can always be skewed in all industries. The question is whether or not an organization, or people within the organization, engages in such activity.
That's not a burning question of mine. I'm sure Disney engages in this activity. I've taken surveys on line and in person. In both cases, the surveys were skewed to obtain very specific information. It's really frustrating.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's not a burning question of mine. I'm sure Disney engages in this activity. I've taken surveys on line and in person. In both cases, the surveys were skewed to obtain very specific information. It's really frustrating.

how was it skewed?

BrerJon

Surveys never give the whole picture either.

Compare two hypothetical questions, asking if Disney should spend two billion on MyMagic:

1) Would you like technological solutions to help you spend less time in line - I bet most guests answer yes, who wouldn't? But no mention is made of the costs of such a system. On the other hand a question like...

2) Would you rather 2 billion was spent on new attractions or a new Fastpass system? A question like that would have nobody supporting MyMagic.

It's the same question, same business motivation and outcome behind it, but the wording, emphasis and leading means they get different answers.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Let's just be happy that we are back to just skewed data and not the "negative answers don't exist/kick me out of the survey" bullocks that was floating around a while back.

The most accurate survey is counting filled parking spots in the parking lots. There is no data to be skewed, manipulated, or made up. All you need is a clipboard, some paper, and some pencils.

jakeman

To be fair, you don't know that it isn't, either. I don't think anyone is saying they take your answers and put in what they want. It's a little bit less nefarious than that. Have you taken any of their surveys?
I've taken a bunch. We usually pop down to Disney or a DVC resort 3-4 times a year, either to go to the parks or to visit family in the area.

I also work in an industry where any sort of survey has to be validate to eliminate as much bias as possible. I don't build the surveys or validate them, but I've seen enough to understand how they are structured.

With credentials out of the way, there are rare occasions where the question is obviously hinting at something that is being discussed here. However, I would say a vast majority of them are straight forward "rate your experience/value" for different aspects of a vacation.

So in my experience of taking multiple surveys a year and background in understanding bias in surveys, I feel like I can objectively say that there are some occasions that Disney is looking for specific information, but very rarely are the questions structured in a way that leads one to a specific outcome.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
To be fair, you don't know that it isn't, either. I don't think anyone is saying they take your answers and put in what they want. It's a little bit less nefarious than that. Have you taken any of their surveys?

Someone is claiming that the surveys they have taken are skewed, so I just asked why they think that....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom