Disney After Hours Event

FyreDansyr

I am curious how this works for anyone. Not being sarcastic, but what makes this a good option??

$150.00 for free ice cream, coke and 5 - 7 hours in MK with a couple of rides open. Rumors are 3000 people max, but nobody knows and it could be 20K.

You are better off buying a 1 day ticket and getting there at rope drop in the AM. At least the everything will be open, but you won't get free ice cream.
For me this is a good option if I want an enjoyable time in the park in the spring. I don't handle the heat well and typically will have to leave after only a few hours in the morning. Then return when the sun isn't as brutal. This gives my boyfriend and I a full 7 hours where he doesn't have to worry about my health and constantly keep an eye on me. I can actually enjoy myself. I know many people would say just go in the winter, which I do, but I love Epcot during F&G. Since I choose to stay off site I don't get to take advantage of EMH. This is basically giving me a chance to fully enjoy the Magic Kingdom. So, it might not work for everyone but it is a way for me to get a magical day with no worries.

Tony the Tigger

Well if there's unlimited ice-cream and bottled beverages, then I am going to make this a money looser for them then.

$150 what is that 4 mickey bars?

Who said "unlimited?"

For all we know, they may give each person a ticket for one free drink and one free ice cream.

Of course, a free ice cream couldn't be full-sized, right? So they'll make mini-Mickey bars, and the "overly-enthusiastic" will say the mini-Mickey bars taste even better than the regular Mickey bars, and well worth the $150 price tag. Don't even get me started on the mini-Dole whips.

In all seriousness, I could see doing this once for a very special occasion, but only if they stick to the low-ticket number strategy such that virtually every ride is walk-on.

Dwarful

This seems like the old eride nights at a HUGE mark up. I remember loving the eride nights - still have the old bands in scrapbooks, but we paid $12 each...then I think they went up to $15. Lots of characters meeting kids without lines, great photo ops and no lines. But the most we paid was $60 for our whole family. Not interested in all these 'new options' to take more of my money. I love WDW as much as the next person, but I am not in support of this.

Tony the Tigger

For informational purposes...this is what is being distributed to travel agents this morning. Answers the questions about which rides will be opened. Still no mention of any rare characters. The phrasing on capacity is still vague but slightly more illuminating (maybe?)...

Attractions – Astro Orbiter, Barnstormer, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Ranger Spin, Country Bear Jamboree, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Haunted Mansion, It’s A Small World, Mad Tea Party, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Jungle Cruise, Winnie the Pooh, Mickey’s PhilharMagic, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan’s Flight, Prince Charming Regal Carousel, PFTH - Select Princesses, PFTH – Frozen, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain, Stitch’s Great Escape, Swiss Family Treehouse, Splash Mountain, Tomorrowland Speedway, Town Square Mickey, Journey of the Little Mermaid & Enchanted Tiki Room

# of Tickets - Capacity to this event is VERY limited (considerably less than our traditional hard ticket events). Guests will experience minimal to no wait times to the 27 identified attractions! Guests will receive credentials.

OK that's helpful. Maybe a dozen attractions we do regularly. But...meh.

Tony the Tigger

Who does this appeal to? Did you see the hours? Late Late night.

Most of the park is closed. Just like with EMH's, concession stands are closed, restaurants are closed, only a portion of rides are open.

Translate that into $150 for just 3hrs of the same reduced park operations and what do you get? Free ice cream treats and beverages? I think this little test might be fun for them to try but unless the 'Event' offers 'Even't benefits, it's a fail in my book.

Think of it this way, would you pay $150 for EMH? Nope, so why would you here?

Ummm...if Publix runs out of ice cream?

Minthorne

Who said "unlimited?"

For all we know, they may give each person a ticket for one free drink and one free ice cream.

Of course, a free ice cream couldn't be full-sized, right? So they'll make mini-Mickey bars, and the "overly-enthusiastic" will say the mini-Mickey bars taste even better than the regular Mickey bars, and well worth the $150 price tag. Don't even get me started on the mini-Dole whips.

In all seriousness, I could see doing this once for a very special occasion, but only if they stick to the low-ticket number strategy such that virtually every ride is walk-on.

If it is walk-on and super "empty" feeling it might be worth it - for a special occasion or a first time visit. But if the Mickey bars are mini I will revolt. Size Matters!!

Clamman73

They can get some good data out of this...
-onsite vs offsite guests pay for it
-how many total are willing to pay the price
-how many bother staying for the full time period
-how many like ice cream

UKDisney Dave

Surely 3000 guests is a tiny amount to accommodate in the park?

With 27 rides open according to the documentation sent to travel agents, and let's assume at anyone time 50% of guests will be walking from one ride to another, visiting restrooms, eating free ice creams(!) taking photos, that leaves about 55 guests per ride at anyone time. Admittedly not all attractions will take an equal share, and clearly attractions will not be staffed to handle maximum ride capacity, but even so it seems almost crazy to open for so few guests. Rides would seem spokily empty, especially those big people eaters like HM & JotLM.

I'd be willing to bet you could double the 3000 guests being rumoured with little noticeable difference on wait times. Most rides would still feel like walk on, just maybe that each ride vehicle would be dispatched full rather than half empty.

I should add, just in terms of full disclosure, I'd be tempted to go for it!! I love MK at night, and am a bit of a night owl who has yet to make it
to rope drop despite it being on my wish list every visit!! But then I often travel to Disney alone, or just with my partner, rather than a family of 4/5/6 for which the ticket price just become crazy!!

No Name

I am not a pixie duster or anything close to that, so please don't stone me when I say that... I am not totally against this. Nearly every ride should have a 5 minute wait, at most. So you might be able to do almost 1.5 times the amount in those 3 hours (or 6-7 hours if you first arrive at 7) than you could do during the regular park day. Oh, for almost 1.5 times the price. It all depends on the max number of people who will be admitted, so that's something I'd personally need to know before paying. Does anyone know if that number factually exists, and if so, what it is?

Not everyone will find value in this, but from the survey, it appears that 7% of people would pay the price. Great! If there are 45K guests in the Mk on a busy-ish April or May day, and 7% of them attend, that is slightly more than 3,000 people.

The downside is that the hours will likely be a bit shorter for regular guests. So I can't say this has no negative effects for those that ignore it. But the event is a good option to have, because I'm sure there are quite a few people who long to be able to ride things in very quick succession without waiting in lines. So there are both ups and downs to this for different people, but it doesn't strike me as being absolutely horrible.

To me, it certainly seems a better value that those dessert parties and animal kingdom special excursions, and many other upcharge events.

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
So I totally bought two tickets on May 5th for myself and my "other". The only way I justified it now after renewing my AP is that it's on my birthday.

But if the 3000 people is the correct number of attendees, I know that will probably be almost worth it. The details about which rides are open and closed is pretty sketchy though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If it's really held to a low number like 3000, it might be worth it.

How many tickets do they sell for mickey's not so scary halloween party?

Because that get too crowded.

To keep riding stuff you've already riden plenty of times before? Paying a 3x premium for low crowds in a park that is running a fraction of it's normal attractions and atmosphere..

This is why Disney keeps throwing out these upcharge possibilities... and it makes me want to live on a island very very far away from everyone else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To me, it certainly seems a better value that those dessert parties and animal kingdom special excursions, and many other upcharge events.

Except you are paying for things you can get any other day in your normal admission.. and the park is running a skeleton operation. This is not 'my personal magic kingdom' - this is pay to have your entry to what is normally a paid rental of the park.

You'll find the magic kingdom gets boring real quick when there is no lines and not much else to see/do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@LuvtheGoof @xdan0920 @wdwmagic My point remains, if only to be modified slightly. We're talking about an hour, two hours at most. I still think the Halloween party cutting three hours on a regular basis is far worse.

Just like the resort fee... it's not about the absolute impact of the single item... but about the tell tipping you off on how the business thinks and will operate going forward that is so damning. The flood gates are open Sir... enjoy your beverage.

Tony the Tigger

Surely 3000 guests is a tiny amount to accommodate in the park?

With 27 rides open according to the documentation sent to travel agents, and let's assume at anyone time 50% of guests will be walking from one ride to another, visiting restrooms, eating free ice creams(!) taking photos, that leaves about 55 guests per ride at anyone time. Admittedly not all attractions will take an equal share, and clearly attractions will not be staffed to handle maximum ride capacity, but even so it seems almost crazy to open for so few guests. Rides would seem spokily empty, especially those big people eaters like HM & JotLM.

I'd be willing to bet you could double the 3000 guests being rumoured with little noticeable difference on wait times. Most rides would still feel like walk on, just maybe that each ride vehicle would be dispatched full rather than half empty.

I should add, just in terms of full disclosure, I'd be tempted to go for it!! I love MK at night, and am a bit of a night owl who has yet to make it
to rope drop despite it being on my wish list every visit!! But then I often travel to Disney alone, or just with my partner, rather than a family of 4/5/6 for which the ticket price just become crazy!!

I love MK at night - that became one of our favorite traditions - when everyone else is watching the parade and fireworks, we hit a nearly empty Jungle Cruise, HM, Pirates, Country Bear, etc. and love it.

Lately, though, we haven't had as much luck with it - even though we go during off-peak times. EMH have been awful - extra crowded, if anything. And closing the park - I don't remember ever getting stuck in such a line as we did a few months ago. (Maybe we stayed later than usual? I can't remember for certain.)

So again, I can maybe see it for a very special occasion - maybe our 10 year anniversary coming up next year (already plotting Victoria & Alberts, etc.) but other than that, I don't think I can justify that price tag, even for two of us, even for a birthday or just a regular anniversary. It would have to be a stellar experience - not just "what we used to get for free a few years ago." Fortunately, we'll be able to hear other peoples' experiences before it's time for us to go back.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Who does this appeal to? Did you see the hours? Late Late night.

Most of the park is closed. Just like with EMH's, concession stands are closed, restaurants are closed, only a portion of rides are open.

Translate that into $150 for just 3hrs of the same reduced park operations and what do you get? Free ice cream treats and beverages? I think this little test might be fun for them to try but unless the 'Event' offers 'Even't benefits, it's a fail in my book.

Think of it this way, would you pay $150 for EMH? Nope, so why would you here?

I know.. everyone is over looking that if you went to a EMH that extended past 1am.. the park is already lightening up.. and you didn't pay an extra $50/head to be there for that hour.

Pay a SUPER premium for a LIMITED experience... at a time of day most people can't tolerate after being in the parks the rest of the day.. or the next day.

I think this is more about price testing than a sustainable event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom