Disney After Hours Event

DisneyJoe

Find @lentesta's posts earlier in this thread. The MK is open significantly less this April then last April.
Not sure how much it matters, I am sure @lentesta could tell, but Easter last year was in April, this year it is in March. Don't the weeks before and after Easter have longer hours? Could the shift of those hours into March this year cause this change, at least some of it?

Thessair

I stopped going about four years ago, but I like lurking around here to see if things have improved enough to consider going back. Sadly, it's starting to look like this will never be the case. This, ToT, premium parking fees, resort fees, tier pricing... It's almost like they don't actually want repeat business.

OliveMcFly

I stopped going about four years ago, but I like lurking around here to see if things have improved enough to consider going back. Sadly, it's starting to look like this will never be the case. This, ToT, premium parking fees, resort fees, tier pricing... It's almost like they don't actually want repeat business.
ToT? That's Tower correct? What's happening there?

hokielutz

Here is my curiosity on this venture.... I haven't had time to read through all of the responses, so sorry if any of this might've been answered.

I'm concerned that the # tickets handed out will equal the Halloween and Christmas event nights. If so, this doubling of price for a late evening is then definitely not worth it. I believe event nights allowed entry beginning at 4pm, but this entry is 3 hours later. So you loose time and if the capacity equals the party nights... then you aren't going to be able to hit very many rides.

If the # of tickets is cut to 1/3rd of the party nights.... then it might be ok to hit splurge one day to hit every headliner attraction. Then the daytime visits can concentrate on all of the other attractions.

Its going to be a year or two before I get back to FL. Hopefully by that time a few of these projects will be finished and open.

edited for spelling

fractal

In my opinion, Iger feels this is happening (Excess Demand) and will continue to do so until higher prices results in lower attendance/participation...

Now I don't think the price is "so low", just not "too high" to cut down (so far) on people booking WDW vacations.

2. Excess Demand
Excess demand is created when price is set below the equilibrium price. Because the price is so low, too many consumers want the good while producers are not making enough of it.

economics7.gif

In this situation, at price P1, the quantity of goods demanded by consumers at this price is Q2. Conversely, the quantity of goods that producers are willing to produce at this price is Q1. Thus, there are too few goods being produced to satisfy the wants (demand) of the consumers. However, as consumers have to compete with one other to buy the good at this price, the demand will push the price up, making suppliers want to supply more and bringing the price closer to its equilibrium.

Read more: Economics Basics: Supply and Demand | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/university/economics/economics3.asp#ixzz43jxEwn56
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
Not sure how much it matters, I am sure @lentesta could tell, but Easter last year was in April, this year it is in March. Don't the weeks before and after Easter have longer hours? Could the shift of those hours into March this year cause this change, at least some of it?

I don't think that explains all of it. Easter was April 5, 2015 and is 7 days earlier this year.

My guess is that they're shortening the MK hours to compensate for the AK's later hours once RoL opens. That minimizes the labor cost. It's just surprising that no AK hours have changed. They're certainly not going to run RoL at 6 PM when the sun sets at 8. :)

Disvillain63

I think you are missing my point. I would not pay this because I have an annual pass. If I did not have that and want to spend one day in the Magic Kingdom the cost would not be that bad. I am at a convention in Orlando and I want to spend one day a the Magic Kingdom. A ticket would cost over $100.00 for one day. If I show up at 7:00 pm I would be able to spend 6 hours in the park and three of them with very few people in the park. So deduct the cost of a one day ticket I am only paying less then $50.00 for the reduced crowds and getting ice cream and drinks. Not to bad if I am only going one day anyway. This has nothing to do with the cost of E-ride years ago, it is not the same thing.
Not missing your point. It's along my point that I wouldn't buy a regular ticket and add this event to go to the park at night too. However, if comparing it to paying admission plus E-ticket, it is quite a bit more costly as others have said too.

Homerclaus

Hey Folks: I lurk therefore I am.

Here's what really scares me. I would never pay the price for my whole family, but if the kids weren't with me, I would seriously consider paying the cost for the wife and I to hang out elsewhere all day, and then hit one night at the park. Ultimately, I don't think I'd find value, and I'd pass, but paused enough and thought about it (moderate income/fiscal conservative/been to WDW five times total). I don't think Disney will have a tough time filling the spots at all.

FrostyNaples

Who does this appeal to? Did you see the hours? Late Late night.

Most of the park is closed. Just like with EMH's, concession stands are closed, restaurants are closed, only a portion of rides are open.

Translate that into $150 for just 3hrs of the same reduced park operations and what do you get? Free ice cream treats and beverages? I think this little test might be fun for them to try but unless the 'Event' offers 'Even't benefits, it's a fail in my book.

Think of it this way, would you pay $150 for EMH? Nope, so why would you here?

Homerclaus

Who does this appeal to? Did you see the hours? Late Late night.

Think of it this way, would you pay $150 for EMH? Nope, so why would you here?

There is some carryover in the hours prior to the event. If it's really limited 3-10K people, I think they'll have no trouble filling this. I wouldn't pay, but I've generally ran the idea past about five or six people who aren't hardcore, and to avoid the crowd and have 6-7 hours of walk-ons, they'd pay. It would all come down to what's open (many casual vacationers with cash don't want to spend an entire day in the park, but don't care if they are up late).

note2001

Maybe we're looking at this wrong. Disney is king when it comes to playing with our minds.
Maybe they're just testing to see if this drives more foot traffic into Disney Springs with the attitude that they saved $600+tax by not buying those After Hours tickets for their family of 4, so dropping $300+ on dinner and shopping is a great deal. ;)

(edited to say, $149 for ages 3 and up? Been a long time since I had a 3 year old, but I don't think I'd ever pay that price for a kiddo that will sleep half the night away in a stroller.)

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom