Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

Prince-1

As it's been mentioned b4, the main reason I'm against this is that I HATE to wear anything on my wrist. Hate it. During the middle of the summer on a nice 97 degree day I do not want to wear anything more than I have to. If I was able to keep it in my pocket then that migh sway me into being more open minded with this.

Disneykidder

I kind of like having all of this info on an easy bracelet to not fumble in my bag all of the time looking for my it. I also like how if my kiddies get lost, they can easily find me. I'm sure it will be used just as the KTTW card with adding fastpass.:confused:

I don't know when they will implement this, but it seems a little odd that it will be used for room entry since they just updated a lot of the resorts with keyless entry by simply tapping your KTTW card on it. It was very convenient when carrying a sleeping child and bags of stuff. ;)

With that, I don't know if my kids will want to keep them on. I will probably have to hook it to a belt loop but I suppose that's ok. They don't look the most attractive but I guess I will wear it. But if it turns my arm green, i'm out!:eek:

Tracking my bathroom movements..do you really think Disney cares how many times a day my family goes #1 or #2? I don't think they will update bathrooms with the technology...that seems a bit costly and weird.:rolleyes:

Personalizing the queques with my name? I'm sure Disney will be discreet and not put my last name. :cool:

jme

I've used similar wrist bands at Great Wolf Lodge, and it was nothing but a convenience. Although their's are small and flat and look just like a hospital bracelet, I'm sure they are less feature rich:

IMG_0002.jpg

All they do is unlock the door, and make room charges. Oh, and some age restriction stuff.

Anyway, I welcome RFID wristbands.

danv3

This sounds Very cool and a great idea to me! This will get you in the parks a LOT faster! Just scan it and your in! Also if you can have your credit card info, etc on it then you do not have worry about getting your card out to buy food or merchandise....

You have a lot more faith in the average guest than I do if you think this will speed things up. The whole nextgen idea is going to blow most guests minds.

fillerup

I'm sure someone can enlighten me, but how does this speed up park entry exactly? Finger biometrics are used to confirm pass ownership to the person using it. Won't that still be required to confirm wristband ownership?

What's to stop me from loaning it to a friend if there's no confirming verification process?

And as others have said, I don't even wear a watch to the park for about 6 months of the year and there's already enough crap in my pockets to add this.

I don't think there's any grand conspiracy here, but I won't willingly assist any organization in tracking my movements and behavior.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I find it funny that people complain about a bracelet yet how many of you wear lanyards or the belt packs?

I think the confusion is over a bracelet vs a non-removable tag like you get at an event or at the hospital. I do not see Disney using the non-removable ones because of the length of stay and guest comfort. Just put it on your belt loop... Or purse... Or backpack... Or pocket!

It's easier than finding those papers or whose ticket is whose.

The idea of a printed name on the tag is interesting... Because that speaks a bit to their setup at both the cm station and the bracelet itself

miles1

It's those like you that freak people out over nothing. :rolleyes: This is not a bad technology. It is not evil either. Yes, it will track your every move, but (and I have been saying this for years) who the h*** cares?! Oh my God, heaven forbid Disney knows you went to the bathroom. If Disney wants to know your complete traveling routes while you're traversing their parks, then so be it. What are you really afraid of?? o_O I would like for you to explain just how Disney will "abuse" (your word, not mine) this while tracking your every move.

Oh, and they didn't spend a billion on it either. ;)

48453d1332344169-verizon-adding-carrier-iq-esque-diagnostics-tool-some-phones-but-not-scary-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Sorry Goof, but MissM is right and you should get off her case. Even you admit in the above quote that that Disney can track your every move on the property with this device. Who cares? I DO!!!

As I've stated in other threads, I completely understand that the device itself stores no information about me that would be of any value to a hacker. But it is linked to other Disney databases that do, and frankly the amount of information that Disney keeps about me is getting disturbing. They have my name, date of birth, present and former residences, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, names and DOB's of my kids, phone numbers, shopping preferences and more. In other words, more than enough information to pull off an identity theft or worse.

In the last two weeks there have been stories about two major banks and a federal agency coming under cyber attack. As much as I have trust in Disney, I somehow doubt their system security is up to the level of these entities.

With this system they now have the capability of tracking my whereabouts on the property. If I were ever accused of a crime or a personal indiscretion (not that I would do either), this information could also be subpoenaed and potentially used against me, or hacked and and used in some other fashion.

If you think I'm a tin-hat weirdo so be it. Bernie Madoff's clients all trusted him, too.

G00fyDad

actually they did do the equivalent of the day... they tagged them, made them wear identifying patches, labeled their businesses, and eventually tracked and limited their movement. All of that in the 30s before they started their 'ultimate solution'.

There is such a thing as things that should be avoided because they are slippery slopes... but we are talking about Disney on our vacation... not the government, or Disney, tracking us EVERYWHERE or without consent.

I understand the comparison. I do. But to compare the RFID at a theme Park with the events in history like the Jewish people being tagged is a huge stretch. Disney is not evil. Disney will not intern people with these tags. Disney will not label the people's businesses. It will be a "point of sale" and entry device. Yes, they will absolutely be tracking your movements. However, this tracking is only to better manage the parks and that is something everyone here is consistently bi***ing about. Now that Disney will have a better tool to help them accomplish this people are losing their minds over this passive technology. As the other poster stated, you are already being tracked everywhere you go. If you doubt it then you need to wake up and look around you. The point that keeps getting danced around here is that this is not a bad thing, nor can it be abused.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Conspiracy theories aside...

Some practical thoughts:

If the bracelet is not removable, you'd have guests stuck wearing it for extended periods [not something folks will be willing to do]. Assuming it is removable, then biometrics at the turnstiles will likely continue to be required for park entry. I can only surmise they will be removable.

If you're concerned about emanations from the active RFID, the power and range is unlikely to be enough to impact any medical or other devices.

With all of the different forms of tickets and types of guests, I suspect they will never entirely eliminate paper/plastic ticket media. But who knows if this is the only form of RFID they will utilize? Thus far they've been using key cards with RFID, this may be just one of many implementations being considered. Perhaps the bracelets are only for guests staying off-property and an RFID KTTW card will be used for resort guests? Maybe APs will be the only ones who get the bracelets, given the cost involved and battery life, it might make more sense that way? Until we see which available technology is going to be used by whom, it's all conjecture.

And as for "Big Brother"... Big Brother has neither the time, energy or even inclination to give a damn what the vast majority of Disney guests are up to. :rolleyes:

G00fyDad

Conspiracy theories aside...

Some practical thoughts:

If the bracelet is not removable, you'd have guests stuck wearing it for extended periods [not something folks will be willing to do]. Assuming it is removable, then biometrics at the turnstiles will likely continue to be required for park entry. I can only surmise they will be removable.

If you're concerned about emanations from the active RFID, the power and range is unlikely to be enough to impact any medical or other devices.

With all of the different forms of tickets and types of guests, I suspect they will never entirely eliminate paper/plastic ticket media. But who knows if this is the only form of RFID they will utilize? Thus far they've been using key cards with RFID, this may be just one of many implementations being considered. Perhaps the bracelets are only for guests staying off-property and an RFID KTTW card will be used for resort guests? Maybe APs will be the only ones who get the bracelets, given the cost involved and battery life, it might make more sense that way? Until we see which available technology is going to be used by whom, it's all conjecture.

And as for "Big Brother"... Big Brother has neither the time, energy or even inclination to give a damn what the vast majority of Disney guests are up to. :rolleyes:

64021719.CHPTbjAb.applause.gif

Where is the uber-like button at???

John

I couldnt care less if Disney knows what I am doing, I dont worry about someone hacking into Disneys mainframe and stealing my info. Most of you agree this is another tool to trck me, that its a passive instrument. I agree wit all of this. Reguardless of how much was invested there has to be a ROI. Someone tell me how this will be achieved? As another poster suggested biometrics and the like will probably still be used. Whats the reason for this again?

Mukta

I have only superficial concerns at this point. I am allergic to nickel and cannot wear metal. I hope that there is no spot of metal on the inside to touch my skin.
I probably won't wear it anyway because I don't like wearing anything on my wrists.
Hopefully this is something I can leave in my purse and just tap against whatever it is made for.

Rob562

I do have one question though: what's the reason for the battery?
Sane, levelheaded responses only, please.

There are two RFID systems in the bracelet.

The one with a battery will transmit its code/info a short distance, though it's unclear the exact range. (I'd guess about 3 feet.) This is similar to the EZPass toll payment tags where the tag on your windshield is read by an antenna in the lane as you drive through. My guess is that this part will be used for most of the in-park NextGen things, where antennas in the queue or on the ride will read it. It'll most likely only send out non-critical/non-secure info like your first name so that the ride can use that. This would also be how they could read where people are.

The other system is a passive RFID chip. With these you have to get the chip very close to the reader for it to be recognized. This would be like the employee ID cards, subway fare cards, credit cards with chips in them, where you have to tap the card to a target to get it to read. At Disney this will be the more secure data that needs to be specific and close-by to each person, like your park admission, room key, charging privileges, etc.

I wonder if Disney will give people the option of removing the battery so that the battery transmitted portion of the bracelet can be disabled.

-Rob

Poirot4

How do we know that you won't be given a choice of wearing the bracelet or using an RFID-enabled card? I haven't read anything that says that this will be the only method.

They must have alternatives for people that are missing limbs.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Then you'd be wrong. Disney has far too much to lose financially. Do you really think they are not locked up tighter than Ft. Knox, digitally speaking of course. Wait, why am I asking you this? You still think that someone is trying to steal your life through a passive RFID tag. By the way, you might want to steer clear of the KttW cards from now on as well. They will most likely have RFID in them. OH YEAH.... I almost forgot. Toss out your bank and credit cards AND your cell phone.

I would have no reason to think that Disney's digital security is any better then dozens of other companies that have been hacked. Even the company Verisign, which is in the network security business, was hacked recently. With that said, RFID bracelets (as long as they don't actually have personal information stored on them) don't make the situation any worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom