Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I just have to wonder, for all those who are opposed to this, whether or not you have a smart phone? If you do, you're already being tracked, by your carrier, and potentially others. Here's the thing though, in order to provide you with Internet, phone, instant messaging, gps, etc, they need to know where you are.
I understand the "danger" or potential for abuse that some speak of, but I really don't see any "evil" in this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It will be interesting to see how much backlash this gets when they start rolling it more broadly. This has been one of the big issues that has held RFID back in a lot of area. Backlash to this sort of things often isn't even based on logic, people only have to have a perception that this is invading their privacy, or risking the security of their data before they start to mistrust it.

Bolt

I'm pretty sure you can't refer to this as Big Brother as you choose to come to this park that already has cameras everywhere. You won't be required to wear this but they make it into a bracelet so if you WANT to wear it, you can have that option.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And as for "Big Brother"... Big Brother has neither the time, energy or even inclination to give a damn what the vast majority of Disney guests are up to. :rolleyes:

Big Brother may be too busy, but there are some chaps who make a good living buy harvesting information about your average guy. Neither you nor I know what is to be stored on the band so to say it is devoid of risk is a tad premature at this stage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Then you'd be wrong. Disney has far too much to lose financially. Do you really think they are not locked up tighter than Ft. Knox, digitally speaking of course. Wait, why am I asking you this? You still think that someone is trying to steal your life through a passive RFID tag. By the way, you might want to steer clear of the KttW cards from now on as well. They will most likely have RFID in them. OH YEAH.... I almost forgot. Toss out your bank and credit cards AND your cell phone.

You'd be surprised - just being a large company does not mean the company has a security first focus.. with rigorous testing and auditing. When companies that SPECIALIZE in this are still vulnerable, a company just trying to protect itself and still run day to day is almost gaurunteed to be a ripe target. There is nothing I've seen to lead me to believe TWDC operates more securely than a typical fortune company. I've worked with TWDC on IT related projects and they weren't that restrictive to us actually compared to other customers I've worked with.

What makes such a system more risky, is not the RFID per say (that's only leaking one new vector), but the idea that Disney will be opening and integrating their systems more tightly. Systems that are more open to share information between them are often great attack vectors for a less secure system to be a gateway to a more secure system.

So you're saying that if you were accused of a crime in New York, that the prosecution could call for the records of your whereabouts in Disney and Disney could tell them that you were in the crapper on June 04, 2013 so you must be guilty???? o_O How is this information (that will NEVER be called into a courtroom) going to be used against you?!? LOL

Actually there isn't anything preventing that except controls on how Disney were to release information. If there is probable cause there to support a court subpoena, the information could be taken, or Disney depending on their terms with the customer, could release the info voluntarily.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe I am not thinking about this right, but why should I care if Disney or for that matter anyone else can track where I am in the parks. The fact that I am in line at Splash Mountain is not a matter of national security. Unless, of course, I told my boss I was going to FL for my great aunt's funeral when I was really hitting the Magic Kingdom.

Even if these devices are linked back to your account with Disney which contains your name, address and credit card number I don't see how that makes a difference. Someone would still have to hack into the Disney network to get the data. This could happen now without the new devices. If there are problems after this is implemented with hacking and data theft I am sure Disney will be aggressive with corrective actions.

Maybe I am wrong, but isn't part of the reason for the wrist bands the interactive areas within rides and queue areas? Things like making your kid's name appear on a picture when you walk near it or other special effects. I think that will be pretty cool to see and will add to the overall experience and the "magic". Maybe as adults we will all know it's just data being transferred from a wrist band, but kids won't know it. I also think its more convenient than holding onto paper fast pass tickets (unless you collect them) and park and/or room cards.

Too bad there's not more like us, who know and actually understand how these things work. There's just too much paranoia and fear of the uncertainty of the new tech.

Oh please. There are a great many folks who understand the technology and are against it. Your side is also full of ignorant folks who have no idea how anything works, and will blissfully wear/activate/use anything that a company or government says they should.

Stolen financial information? The info isn't on the bracelet - no more than your actual credit card info is on your current KTTW card - it's stored in Disney's database, and your KTTW just has a code that identifies you and relays that code back to Disney.

It's irrelevant where the credit card data is stored. I can still get near you, remotely scan you, dup it, then go dine at Vic and Al's and the bill shows up on your account, not to mention get into your resort room. And you won't even know about it until you get home and find all this extra stuff on your credit card bill.

Yes, it probably won't happen, because doing it at Disney is rather limiting, and the folks working on this will be frying larger fish (such as credit cards).

But that doesn't change the fact that a device that broadcasts room keys and financial info is insane.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's irrelevant where the credit card data is stored. I can still get near you, remotely scan you, dup it, then go dine at Vic and Al's and the bill shows up on your account, not to mention get into your resort room. And you won't even know about it until you get home and find all this extra stuff on your credit card bill.

Only if Disney doesn't require a form of pin or similar... Which they will over a certain amount to protect themselves. And if they follow other existing systems it would goto an account you see before you leave.. Not just straight to the card

RSoxNo1

My one and only true concern about this bracelet is......do they have my size? I have had large wrists since I was in high school. It isn't because of a weight issue, I'm just 6'4" tall and wear a size 14 shoe and a 9.5" wrist size. I have a very hard time finding watches that fit me.
Am I the only one that didn't know there was such thing as a number that equates uniformly with wrist size?

quirkle

I have only superficial concerns at this point. I am allergic to nickel and cannot wear metal. I hope that there is no spot of metal on the inside to touch my skin.
I probably won't wear it anyway because I don't like wearing anything on my wrists.
Hopefully this is something I can leave in my purse and just tap against whatever it is made for.

I was thinking about that before - I am also allergic to nickel so i hope any metali is stainless. Luckily my kids are older and if they have to wear a bracelet they well but 9 year olds still lose things and I worry about wiping and dopping in the loo.

PeterAlt

Okay, it's obviously for single day use. You would need to get a new one, it seems, each day... What a pain! If you need to remove it for whatever reason, would you have to replace it with a new one and how long would that take? How are they going to make it single-user non transferable? I see where they could put a picture of its user, which means you will still have to show your rist bracelet each time you use it to a Disney cast member, so it really doesn't add too much automation.

I can see its usefulness at water parks. Other than that, I can't see how this is more convenient than the old system.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Oh please. There are a great many folks who understand the technology and are against it. Your side is also full of ignorant folks who have no idea how anything works, and will blissfully wear/activate/use anything that a company or government says they should.

But that doesn't change the fact that a device that broadcasts room keys and financial info is insane.

Thanks for proving my point!

Do you know this to be true, or are you just making wild speculative and paranoid guesses? Because, to my knowledge, the specs have not been published on the technical details of exactly how this will work. However, IF it turns out that they are in fact broadcasting room keys and financial information, I will be flatly refusing this device. But, I seriously doubt this will be the way they implement it.

If I had to guess, I would think they would use a variant of the current KTTW card where you have a unique number that identifies you to the computer, and then an encryption algorithm that would allow it to communicate securely with Disney's computers. At least that's how other similar devices work. I would be horribly surprised if Disney didn't implement something like this. With a design like this, the user's information is all isolated on a server, the only thing remotely personal on the key itself is the unique number.

DisneyJoe

I just have to wonder, for all those who are opposed to this, whether or not you have a smart phone? If you do, you're already being tracked, by your carrier, and potentially others. Here's the thing though, in order to provide you with Internet, phone, instant messaging, gps, etc, they need to know where you are.
I understand the "danger" or potential for abuse that some speak of, but I really don't see any "evil" in this.

and how many people deliberately broadcast their location using Foursquare and Twitter with geo tagging and Facebook checkins etc? basically letting people know that they aren't home and that their home is available to be robbed?

Clever Name

I'm sure someone can enlighten me, but how does this speed up park entry exactly? Finger biometrics are used to confirm pass ownership to the person using it. Won't that still be required to confirm wristband ownership?

What's to stop me from loaning it to a friend if there's no confirming verification process?

And as others have said, I don't even wear a watch to the park for about 6 months of the year and there's already enough crap in my pockets to add this.

I don't think there's any grand conspiracy here, but I won't willingly assist any organization in tracking my movements and behavior.
The finger biometrics will be replaced with face recognition. As you go through the main entrance, your wristband will be electronically queried to check your Identity. Cameras will also scan your face at the entrance point as well as many other locations in the park. The face scanning happens on the fly. You don't have to stop and look at a camera. You won't even know that a camera is checking your face image. A face recognition database will repeatedly match your face against the use of the wristband. If the face changes or if the face is already listed in the database as a "bad actor" your ID will be subjected to more detailed checks. There are about 5 or 6 different security levels. Most guests will breeze through the entrance point and all subsequent checks without a problem and without stopping at all.

Clever Name

Your scan will not provide any useful information as to the ID of the user. Nor would you be able to charge anything or get into anyones room. Your scans would not work at all.

DisneyJoe

The finger biometrics will be replaced with face recognition. As you go through the main entrance, your wristband will be electronically queried to check your Identity. Cameras will also scan your face at the entrance point as well as many other locations in the park. The face scanning happens on the fly. You don't have to stop and look at a camera. You won't even know that a camera is checking your face image. A face recognition database will repeatedly match your face against the use of the wristband. If the face changes or if the face is already listed in the database as a "bad actor" your ID will be subjected to more detailed checks. There are about 5 or 6 different security levels. Most guests will breeze through the entrance point and all subsequent checks without a problem and without stopping at all.

They already have many cameras in all of the parks.

Rob562

Read my earlier post (#80 in this thread). There are two RFID systems in the bracelet, one active (broadcasting) and one passive. The passive one would be what they'd use for everything your room key can do now. A hacker would have to get close enough to touch your bracelet to read it. And it's nothing different than the touch-to-pay chips you most likely have inside one or more of your credit or debit cards in your wallet. How securely do you guard your wallet from someone trying to grab that RFID info?

The broadcasting element would most likely only be a serial number that the rides or queues could use to personalize things, or perhaps to track your location in the parks, or use wait times for everyone entering a queue to be able to post the most-accurate wait times possible, rather than the FLIK cards they hand out now which only times one person every 5 or 10 minutes.

All that would be gained by some hacker stealing the broadcast chip data and duplicating it would be that the rides would call them "Rob" instead of "Dennis"...

Edit: Just thinking more blue-sky, the system could also use both systems together at the same time, where to use it at a register the NextGen system would have to detect the broadcast chip within the area of the register before allowing the passive reader on the register to accept that chip. Both would have to be duplicated somehow to get it to work. And if the system is powerful enough, in the instance of a duplicated bracelet it could detect that there are two of them in different places on-property at the same time, and thus shut down recognition of both of them.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom