Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

G00fyDad

But that doesn't change the fact that a device that broadcasts room keys and financial info is insane.

It is passive RFID. It broadcasts nothing. It will allow info to be retrieved if placed within a certain distance from the reader. It is the same tech as the security tags in merchandise that set off a store alarm when someone shoplifts. No power is going through the chips.

Clever Name

It is passive RFID. It broadcasts nothing. It will allow info to be retrieved if placed within a certain distance from the reader. It is the same tech as the security tags in merchandise that set off a store alarm when someone shoplifts. No power is going through the chips.

It is a transmitter and has a built in battery;

Compliance with 47 CFR 15.247(i)
“Systems operating under the provisions of this section shall be operated in a manner
that ensures that the public is not exposed to radio frequency energy levels in excess of
the Commission's guidelines. See § 1.1307(b)(1) of this chapter.”

The EUT is a wrist-worn arm band operating in the 2.4 GHz band. It can be considered a
portable transmitter per 47 CFR 2.1093 because it can be used within 20cm of the user’s torso.
The antenna is internal to the unit and permanently attached. The antenna is a an inverted F
antenna with 0 dBi of gain. The maximum peak conducted output power is 0.687 mW.
The maximum peak radiated power is 0.687 mW eirp for FCC ID: Q3E-MB-R1G1. The
transmit frequency is 2401 to 2476MHz, therefore the EUT does not require routine SAR
evaluation because it falls below the low power threshold of 60/f(GHz)mW. Please see this
excerpt from KDB 447498 D01 Mobile Portable RF Exposure v04, item 2)(a)(i):
"a device may be used in portable exposure conditions with no restrictions on host
platforms when either the source-based time-averaged output power is <=60/f(GHz)mW
or all measured 1-g SAR are <0.4W.kg."

The applicant’s wireless radio, FCC ID: Q3E-MB-R1G1, is compliant with the requirements of
FCC 15.247(i).

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...alledFromFrame=N&application_id=427834&fcc_id=

flynnibus

Premium Member

the system has both an active radio and passive radio. read the OP again

Clever Name

the system has both an active radio and passive radio. read the OP again
You are correct. To wit:

October 1, 2012
FCC ID : Q3E-MB-R1G1
To Whom It May Concern:
The radio of the device, Model MB-R1G1, is a wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4 GHz
signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure. The PCB assembly is potted in plastic and
completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane. The band has no on off switch
and is powered with a non-replaceable coin cell. The PCB assembly also includes a passive
UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio. Please note that passive tags only
require FCC 15B verification whereas active tags require certification under 15C.
The type of equipment approval is original certification covered by CFR47 part 15.247 rules.

Also I think it has more than one active transmitter. It might have three or more.

G00fyDad

It is a transmitter and has a built in battery;

Compliance with 47 CFR 15.247(i)
“Systems operating under the provisions of this section shall be operated in a manner
that ensures that the public is not exposed to radio frequency energy levels in excess of
the Commission's guidelines. See § 1.1307(b)(1) of this chapter.”

The EUT is a wrist-worn arm band operating in the 2.4 GHz band. It can be considered a
portable transmitter per 47 CFR 2.1093 because it can be used within 20cm of the user’s torso.
The antenna is internal to the unit and permanently attached. The antenna is a an inverted F
antenna with 0 dBi of gain. The maximum peak conducted output power is 0.687 mW.
The maximum peak radiated power is 0.687 mW eirp for FCC ID: Q3E-MB-R1G1. The
transmit frequency is 2401 to 2476MHz, therefore the EUT does not require routine SAR
evaluation because it falls below the low power threshold of 60/f(GHz)mW. Please see this
excerpt from KDB 447498 D01 Mobile Portable RF Exposure v04, item 2)(a)(i):
"a device may be used in portable exposure conditions with no restrictions on host
platforms when either the source-based time-averaged output power is <=60/f(GHz)mW
or all measured 1-g SAR are <0.4W.kg."

The applicant’s wireless radio, FCC ID: Q3E-MB-R1G1, is compliant with the requirements of
FCC 15.247(i).

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...alledFromFrame=N&application_id=427834&fcc_id=

I stand corrected. :D Thank you for pointing that out. I would have sworn that I read it was a passive non-powered system. I was wrong. ;)

However, it is still nothing to get as paranoid as some here have suggested.

G00fyDad

I own a $10 Casio. It's the same model they give Guantanamo Bay Inmates. I use the 7th of 12 holes (That's what she said).

OH, don't think I am being fancy. If I could have worn an "off the shelf" watch then I would have. Unfortunately I could never find one. Although I still never paid more than $60 for a watch.

RSoxNo1

OH, don't think I am being fancy. If I could have worn an "off the shelf" watch then I would have. Unfortunately I could never find one. Although I still never paid more than $60 for a watch.
I'm not trying to call you out on anything, just pointing out my own ignorance.

AEfx

But that doesn't change the fact that a device that broadcasts room keys and financial info is insane.

It doesn't do any such thing.

But, some will not be convinced, so it's useless to argue about it.

All that needs to be said is, if you don't want one - they are not going to force you to the ground and attach one to you. So no biggie, if you feel it's a danger, don't use it.

rct247

This will benefit everyone from guests to cast members to corporate. Guests will find it convenient rather than keeping up with paper tickets to plastic cards. If they do allow you to use it as a virtual wallet, then it would be great for those who don't want to take their wallet to the waterparks. It will provide a more personalized experience in a theme park that sees 17million guests a year. Cast members will benefit from it from no biometrics at turnstiles to no FLIK cards in the queues to no money/card transactions at restaurants. Even with lost children, some personal contact info could be attached for security to contact the parents if need be. Corporate will love it because it will constantly provide research on guests travel patterns and such.

Sure it will make some question the use and it very well could get into the wrong hands if hacked, but look at how comfortable people have gotten with the biometrics at the turnstiles. For those not wanting to wear a wristband, wristbands are already in use at special events like Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey Very Merry Christmas Party. I think they even used to use them for Extra Magic Hours. Guests not wishing to wear a wristband or do not have a wrist to place it around can choose to attach it to a belt loop or the like. I know most of the nay-sayers do not like how much information is either contained on the device or how much information can be obtained from it, but honestly, much of the information you all are worried about is either obtainable already or you've placed your trust in another medium like it already.

Any undercover Disney super spy (if they existed) could follow a family around all day to see what they visit, how long they spend in the restroom, what merchandise they look at, and where they are at in the park. I'm sure technically already you ticket being stuck into a Fastpass machine very well could send information where you are at even now (not that it does). People can easily overhear your conversations and learn your name, where you are from, or what your likes or dislikes are. You intrust having your personal information on a driver's license that can easily get lost. Your name and phone number have been stored in phone books or computer databases for years now. If you put a return address on any letters you send out, anyone could read and copy that information. You trust the internet with your IP address and your credit cards. Websites already track where you have been using cookies and code. Facebook and Hulu personalize your advertisements. Tivo saves what shows you like to watch just as easy as Bob at your local deli knows what you order every week when you come in. Some people use their smart phones to check in to locations already. Some people have internet profiles for message boards, corporate websites, dating sites, etc which contain lots of information. Some people chose to do banking and other high security transactions online using their bank account numbers, credit cards, and social security numbers. Anyone can easily follow me home to find out where I live. Our cars have license plate numbers that tie use together. GPS devices in our cars, phones, and other devices use satellites to determine where we are. Your rewards card programs at retailers can track what you spend and when. Our pets where tags that list our address and contact information. Even in the theme parks I see parents write phone numbers on their child's arm when it also can be seen by everyone else. The photos you post online can easily tell others where you are or where you went. There are cameras everywhere these days too! Any bit of information that Disney would put on those devices or in a database from your name and favorite Disney character to your credit card information and home address is all easy to obtain or find out one way or another. So quite honest, I don't see the fuss. Like it or not, your information is out there already. If someone really wanted to track you down and use it against you, they could, but Disney doesn't need to do that. They just want it to boost your experience and make more money in the long run.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
T. They just want to make more money in the long run.

I think this is more accurate.

But again till someone actually knows fully what it is to do and how it is to be achieved Ill wait to be convinced. Some folk I know will back anything with the Disney logo on it regardless and that is their choice. At the end of the day its not a new ride/attraction and that says it all to me.

Skippy's Pal

Okay, it's obviously for single day use. You would need to get a new one, it seems, each day... What a pain! If you need to remove it for whatever reason, would you have to replace it with a new one and how long would that take? How are they going to make it single-user non transferable? I see where they could put a picture of its user, which means you will still have to show your rist bracelet each time you use it to a Disney cast member, so it really doesn't add too much automation.

I can see its usefulness at water parks. Other than that, I can't see how this is more convenient than the old system.

It would certainly not seem to be removable, as hospital bracelets and water park bracelets are not. So what would that mean for, say, a 10-day stay? Wearing the band for the full stay, through swimming and showers and sweat and sunblock? Or, if it's truly a one-day thing, getting 10 of these things encoded at check-in? And having to make sure you put the right one on yourself and little Billy each day? That won't work. Amazing that money is available for projects like this but not to keep the effects working in Splash.

danv3

Amazing that money is available for projects like this but not to keep the effects working in Splash.

Exactly. Apparently someone has decided that this project will ultimately make money for the company. As for the effects in Splash (and hundreds of other things around the parks): "they're tourists...what do they know?"

G00fyDad

Okay, it's obviously for single day use. You would need to get a new one, it seems, each day... What a pain! If you need to remove it for whatever reason, would you have to replace it with a new one and how long would that take? How are they going to make it single-user non transferable? I see where they could put a picture of its user, which means you will still have to show your rist bracelet each time you use it to a Disney cast member, so it really doesn't add too much automation.

I can see its usefulness at water parks. Other than that, I can't see how this is more convenient than the old system.

Did I miss something that said that the bracelet is not removable? It will most likely be removable. To give 40 of these to just one family of four for a 10 day stay is pretty stupid. Imagine how many Disney would give out in one day. Not likely. You'd get one that would be replaceable if lost, and you would simply walk up to a biometric machine place your finger on the oval like before and walk in. You wouldn't have to fumble for a ticket/KttW card since the machine would read the signature from the band. See? Convenience. :D

G00fyDad

Exactly. Apparently someone has decided that this project will ultimately make money for the company.

Of course they did. And it will. They will now have a better idea of where to concentrate efforts and spend the money. Of course, that doesn't mean that they will interpret the results right and make any better decisions than they already do. They'll make more money, but they still may not fix all that needs fixing.

As for the effects in Splash (and hundreds of other things around the parks): "they're tourists...what do they know?"

Their tourists. They don't know any better, and Disney knows this. WE know better, but we're not just tourists. We are Disney fanatics. We visit Disney forums daily and see all the mistakes Disney is making. I have so many friends that go to Disney each year and have no idea that the Yeti ever moved. I'm not telling them either. If they knew it moved once and not anymore then they'd be just as ticked as we are. Why do that to them? 99% of Disney guests go each year and have zero clue that anything is wrong. We are the 1%.

TyrantBoss

Thank you for being a rational voice in the wilderness of mis-information. Too bad there's not more like us, who know and actually understand how these things work. There's just too much paranoia and fear of the uncertainty of the new tech. I really wish people would spend a few minutes and try to understand these kinds of things, before they start running around screaming like it's the end of the world or that Disney will be watching their every move in some attempt to control them. Little do many know, Disney's already been doing this for years.

Interesting. However, If Disney has been "watching our every move for years in some attempt to control us" as you say...then why wouldn't they use this band to do more of the same only with much greater depth.

ParentsOf4

I'm trying to understand TWDC's motivation for implementing the RFID "Magic Band". I'm sure if I were to write to Guest Services I'd get the usual, generic, "enhance guest experience" response. Of course, if that were the sole motivation, we'd have a 5th Gate, new attractions, a working Yeti, themed napkins, etc. Considering the amount of money spent on this endeavor, I assume they have some other reason in mind. TWDC is neither 'good' nor 'evil'. Stating the obvious, they are a publicly traded corporation that measures success by revenue and profit margins. In the end, I believe most major investments are viewed through the prism of how they affect the bottom line.

What's TWDC's motivation for implementing the RFID "Magic Band"?

SJFPKT

Ok, I tried to stay out of this debate but since I am LE and work the cyber crimes side of things, I have to say I don't really like this idea. Since they let people bring computers into the park or you can get a full blown Windows OS on a tablet and Apple having a tablet coming out soon, what is going to stop people from cloning your RFID and going spending crazy in the park? I mean with a laptop and a little hacking knowledge, I mean very little, RFID isn't hard to clone. I know y'all say your info is stored in database in another computer that the RFID is telling it to access but if I clone your RFID and you have your credit card attach, they could go crazy shopping in the parks. I guess I am just being paranoid. Yes, I think they would be easy to ID and possibly catch with all the cameras in the park but it is still a pain in the rear end.

It's kind of like having all the info on your room key hanging out of your pocket with it unencrypted. Because it doesn't sound like it will have enough power for any type of super encryption. Also, yes it has your name on it, but how many times have you been asked to for your ID when you swiped your room key. Me personally once in many many uses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom