Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

DisneyJoe

Nothing will be stored IN the device except a link to your record in the Disney master database. Even if someone could snoop on the device and pick up the code it was sending, that person would also need the ability to access the master database (or one of the MANY smaller databases).

Perhaps your first name could be cached on a chip in the device for retrieval by rides that can be personalized, but I doubt that they would put anything more than that.

Rose&Crowner

No, no, no and a HELL NO just for good measure. The day you're required to wear this is the day I stop going to Disney.

I like how you allowed for just having it with you to suffice for entry....

Anyhow,
Lil' Lojack for my daughter when she takes off in a crowd...
Lil' Whiskey Bracelet for fast purchases when I'm off getting "chips"
Lil' fast pass keeper so I don't have to carry twelve at a time...

Bring it, I wish it was here now...

MissMorrow

Not that I'm at all a fan of this next gen/fastpass+ move, but I was hoping they would at least forgo the wristband. I mean where am I at the local carnival? They're fine for the hard ticket events, but for my entire trip? Nope.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Nothing will be stored IN the device except a link to your record in the Disney master database. Even if someone could snoop on the device and pick up the code it was sending, that person would also need the ability to access the master database (or one of the MANY smaller databases).

and they'd have to fight in the game grid first, unless they found a way to escape :cool:

John

This device will most certianally will be able to transmit a signal. It will let a "data base" know exactly where you are at all times. How much time you are spending in a cue.....to how much time you are spending in a shop. It will be next to impossible not to have one.....they will make sure of that. They are spending big bucks on this technology....there is a ROI somewhere. Dont give me the line it is supposed to make my visit easier....more enjoyable. If you wanted to do that get off thier keysters and start moving some dirt on pluseing the place.

This is Big Brother in its full glory, Will I wear it? I will probably have to.....wont like it though.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster

Perhaps your first name could be cached on a chip in the device for retrieval by rides that can be personalized, but I doubt that they would put anything more than that.

Thank you for being a rational voice in the wilderness of mis-information. Too bad there's not more like us, who know and actually understand how these things work. There's just too much paranoia and fear of the uncertainty of the new tech. I really wish people would spend a few minutes and try to understand these kinds of things, before they start running around screaming like it's the end of the world or that Disney will be watching their every move in some attempt to control them. Little do many know, Disney's already been doing this for years.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Won't this also support the ability (for a price) to customize in park interactive experiences? Changing a wanted poster to have your kid's name and face, etc?

Clever Name

This device will most certianally will be able to transmit a signal. It will let a "data base" know exactly where you are at all times. How much time you are spending in a cue.....to how much time you are spending in a shop. It will be next to impossible not to have one.....they will make sure of that. They are spending big bucks on this technology....there is a ROI somewhere. Dont give me the line it is supposed to make my visit easier....more enjoyable. If you wanted to do that get off thier keysters and start moving some dirt on pluseing the place.

This is Big Brother in its full glory, Will I wear it? I will probably have to.....wont like it though.
I remember the days when WDW first put guest photos on AP's. They herded you back in a room and took your picture with a Polaroid camera (and they kept a copy for their files). They then issued you a photo AP. Some people thought it was the end of the world back then too. Look at it this way. Back in those days they had to ask to see your AP before they knew who you were. Now, Disney security will know who you are before they arrest you. It really cuts down on the paperwork!

maryszhi

just in curiosity, what will they do if people have pace makers and have other things that can be impacted......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom