Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

dadddio

Credit cards do not require a pin number for purchases. Disney's system does. So they clone your Magic Band or RFID card and then they also have to know your pin. It is possible but much easier to just steal from guests not using the new system. Plenty of people will still be using regular credit cards in the parks.
Before we know it, people will be cloning our bands and our brains and then stealing all of our money.

Sped2424

Yeah, for now we still have regular FP. I would prefer it stay compared to FP+. If FP+ were set up like an "a la carte" where you could choose your rides instead of "ride packages" then it would be worth it, for my family. But I have no desire to set myself up with just a Splash Mountain and Space Mountain FP+ set that includes a bunch of silly FP's to attrations I have no wish to see or ride. Then that would be all I could get FP's for that day?! Stupid. If I could feasibly set up a 9am SpaceM, 9:45am SplashM, 10:30am HM, 11:15am Jungle Cruise, etc... then it would be worth having.
I agree with you limiting it to ride packages is a bad idea, I think they should get rid of the option to schedule the fast passes in advance (way to much trouble IMO) and just make a little fastpass kiosk station around the park where you choose what FP you want for that hour press your wrist band/rfid card to the little mickey sign it turns green and then you get to choose your fp and then go about your day you would be able to pick up another fastpass 2 hours after much like the current system in place. That would be much preferable.

dadddio

Yeah, for now we still have regular FP. I would prefer it stay compared to FP+. If FP+ were set up like an "a la carte" where you could choose your rides instead of "ride packages" then it would be worth it, for my family. But I have no desire to set myself up with just a Splash Mountain and Space Mountain FP+ set that includes a bunch of silly FP's to attrations I have no wish to see or ride.
The beauty of the FP experience set is that it makes prereserving FPs easy for those who are not experienced WDW visitors and not used to visiting WDW with a plan. The experience set doesn't ruin the deal for the rest of us because, per the T&C, each FP within the experience set can be changed at any time.
Then that would be all I could get FP's for that day?! Stupid.
Nothing in the T&C, suggests that we will be limited to the few FPs that we prereserve. In fact, the T&C suggests that additional will be available. Per the T&C, FP selections count toward the limited number of FPs selections you can hold. The fact that there is a limit that you can hold at a time suggests that if you use one of those FPs, then you can get another. The only way that could happen is if we are not limited to the few FPs in the experience set.
If I could feasibly set up a 9am SpaceM, 9:45am SplashM, 10:30am HM, 11:15am Jungle Cruise, etc... then it would be worth having.
Thats never going to happen for a few reasons, in my opinion. I don't believe that they will issue FPs with overlapping return windows as this goes against the concept of virtual queues and against TPTB's theory that if we spend less time waiting in lines, that we will spend more.

dadddio

I agree with you limiting it to ride packages is a bad idea, I think they should get rid of the option to schedule the fast passes in advance (way to much trouble IMO) and just make a little fastpass kiosk station around the park where you choose what FP you want for that hour press your wrist band/rfid card to the little mickey sign it turns green and then you get to choose your fp and then go about your day you would be able to pick up another fastpass 2 hours after much like the current system in place. That would be much preferable.
I don't believe that they will do away with prereserving FPs as their intent is to get more people to preplan their vacations as much as possible to maximize the amount of vacation time people spend on property and limit the amount of time that people spend on unplanned off property excursions.

ParentsOf4

I don't believe that they will do away with prereserving FPs as their intent is to get more people to preplan their vacations as much as possible to maximize the amount of vacation time people spend on property and limit the amount of time that people spend on unplanned off property excursions.
In perhaps the post of the year, @Cosmic Commando identified the difference between planning a WDW vacation vs. planning a Universal vacation:
Planning your next WDW vacation:
Smallprint.jpg

Planning your next Uni vacation:
red_dragon_by_caiomm-d599wlf.jpg
Not sure WDW's strategy is going to work.:)

dadddio

In perhaps the post of the year, @Cosmic Commando identified the difference between planning a WDW vacation vs. planning a Universal vacation:

Not sure WDW's strategy is going to work.:)
Other than the fact that many people need to make every thread some kind of universal v Disney comparison/competition, I'm not seeing what your post has to do with mine. Disney's FP+ plan doesn't seem to be related in any way to planned off-site excursions. It merely attempts to limit unplanned bleed.

The way prereserving FPs will work to this end is pretty simple. If someone preplan s their trip to the point of knowing what parks he will be in on what day and has even scheduled their rides at that park, then he is n likely to deviate if he sees something shiny. This goes hand in hand with ADRs and magical express to keep people on site for as much of their vacation as possible.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Other than the fact that many people need to make every thread some kind of universal v Disney comparison/competition, I'm not seeing what your post has to do with mine. Disney's FP+ plan doesn't seem to be related in any way to planned off-site excursions. It merely attempts to limit unplanned bleed.

People don't journey to Universal or Sea World simply because the wait at Space Mountain is too long for their taste on any given day.

I'm having trouble following your reasoning.

Victor Kelly

I have doubts about FP+ being too good. I don't even like the normal FP. I believe it causes artificially long wait times as compared to traditional wait in line attractions.

dadddio

People don't journey to Universal or Sea World simply because the wait at Space Mountain is too long for their taste on any given day.

I'm having trouble following your reasoning.
I'm having trouble understanding how your post follows from mine.

If a person plans out his vacation, he will be unlikely to be swayed by shiny billboards.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm having trouble understanding how your post follows from mine.

If a person plans out his vacation, he will be unlikely to be swayed by shiny billboards.

Completely agreed. Nor will they decide on an extra day at Magic Kingdom because they can pre-book their visit to Space Mountain.

dadddio

I have doubts about FP+ being too good. I don't even like the normal FP. I believe it causes artificially long wait times as compared to traditional wait in line attractions.
I think the that the reason that FP creates long wait times is because under the current system, individuals can get multiple FPs for the same ride. By limiting guests to one FP per ride per day, you will open up FP slots. These slots will logically be taken by guests from the SB line. While some guests removed from the FP line will hop not the SB line, I believe that most won't choose to wait in the longer line to reride the ride.

It should also be noted that we might want to take the names of the lines more seriously. The SB line should not be considered the 'regular' line as it is the secondary line. It is my belief that part of FP+ will be a significant increase in the percentage of FPs available for each ride which will further reduce the length of the SB line, but not the wait time for SB.

ParentsOf4

The way prereserving FPs will work to this end is pretty simple. If someone preplan s their trip to the point of knowing what parks he will be in on what day and has even scheduled their rides at that park, then he is n likely to deviate if he sees something shiny. This goes hand in hand with ADRs and magical express to keep people on site for as much of their vacation as possible.
I understand what you're suggesting but view it differently. Having crunched the numbers, I know there simply isn't enough FP+ capacity at most WDW theme parks for "good" attractions. It's probably the main reason WDW is adding FP+ capacity at attractions that don't need them.

Let's pick on Epcot. Most likely, guests will receive one FP+ experience for Soarin', Mission Space, or Test Track. Even combined, these three attractions barely have the capacity to provide one FP+ experience per Epcot guest. Any other FP+ experience I receive for Epcot is going to be a throw-away; a FP+ for an experience that doesn't really need it.

Is one FP+ experience for Soarin', Mission Space, or Test Track enough to keep me from traveling up I-4 to visit a theme park that's presumably adding some amazing attractions every year or two?

Disney's MyMagic+ strategy makes sense as long as the competition sits on its laurels (like WDW has been recently). WDW's competition is not sitting still.

Ultimately, WDW needs things like Avatarland, Carsland, and/or Star Wars Land to compete. Disney management is beginning to accept this, which is why I expect there to be more announcements later this year. Sadly, WDW will have spent north of $1B on NextGen; investment capital that could have been used to build some truly amazing experiences at WDW.

dadddio

Completely agreed. Nor will they decide on an extra day at Magic Kingdom because they can pre-book their visit to Space Mountain.
He may or may not. He certainly might when he realizes that adding that extra day to his ticket will guarantee the SM ride and only cost a few bucks whereas going to Universal will cost much more and may result in not riding SM.

Preplanning has power.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think the that the reason that FP creates long wait times is because under the current system, individuals can get multiple FPs for the same ride. By limiting guests to one FP per ride per day, you will open up FP slots. These slots will logically be taken by guests from the SB line. While some guests removed from the FP line will hop not the SB line, I believe that most won't choose to wait in the longer line to reride the ride.

It should also be noted that we might want to take the names of the lines more seriously. The SB line should not be considered the 'regular' line as it is the secondary line. It is my belief that part of FP+ will be a significant increase in the percentage of FPs available for each ride which will further reduce the length of the SB line, but not the wait time for SB.

I never thought about it like that. "Standby" - if you are flying standby you know you are getting on the first available flight but you aren't guaranteed a spot on any flight at all. Interesting and a completely new way for me to think about it. They do use the word "Standby" over the "regular line" so we will be waiting until all the people with "tickets" FP, GAC and other special passes go first.

dadddio

I understand what you're suggesting but view it differently. Having crunched the numbers, I know there simply isn't enough FP+ capacity at most WDW theme parks for "good" attractions. It's probably the main reason WDW is adding FP+ capacity at attractions that don't need them.

Let's pick on Epcot. Most likely, guests will receive one FP+ experience for Soarin', Mission Space, or Test Track. Even combined, these three attractions barely have the capacity to provide one FP+ experience per Epcot guest. Any other FP+ experience I receive for Epcot is going to be a throw-away; a FP+ for an experience that doesn't really need it.

Is one FP+ experience for Soarin', Mission Space, or Test Track enough to keep me from traveling up I-4 to visit a theme park that's presumably adding some amazing attractions every year or two?

Disney's MyMagic+ strategy makes sense as long as the competition sits on its laurels (like WDW has been recently). WDW's competition is not sitting still.

Ultimately, WDW needs things like Avatarland, Carsland, and/or Star Wars Land to compete. Disney management is beginning to accept this, which is why I expect there to be more announcements later this year. Sadly, WDW will have spent north of $1B on NextGen; investment capital that could have been used to build some truly amazing experiences at WDW.
I would love FastPass+ selections made for you by a Friend will count toward the limited number of FastPass+ selections you may make and hold.
to see the numbers that you've crunched as these aren't released by the company. Most of the number crunching that I've seen related to this issue either ignore the T&C or ignore the fact that every guest doesn't have an interest or ability to ride every ride.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
He may or may not. He certainly might when he realizes that adding that extra day to his ticket will guarantee the SM ride and only cost a few bucks whereas going to Universal will cost much more and may result in not riding SM.

Preplanning has power.

I've been going for over 20 years, and never been "denied" a ride on Space Mountain, though I have had some rather painful waits (the back hall at that queue is unbearable!)...

Even in peak times, I just don't see it being that much of an advantage to sway a whole day's worth of activities. I certainly don't think that complicating what is already a complicated (thanks to 180 day ADRs etc) vacation is a "plus" to the experience.

dadddio

I've been going for over 20 years, and never been "denied" a ride on Space Mountain, though I have had some rather painful waits (the back hall at that queue is unbearable!)...

Even in peak times, I just don't see it being that much of an advantage to sway a whole day's worth of activities. I certainly don't think that complicating what is already a complicated (thanks to 180 day ADRs etc) vacation is a "plus" to the experience.
For every guest who is willing to wait in long lines to ride SM, there is one who refuses to wait in one over 20-30 minutes long.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
For every guest who is willing to wait in long lines to ride SM, there is one who refuses to wait in one over 20-30 minutes long.

So they are willing to burn the money they spent on Disney tickets and go to Universal and wait 60 minutes for Harry Potter on a whim?

Victor Kelly

I understand the logic of the SB line possibly becoming shorter. But as a poster has suggested, it will make a way too complicated trip turn into an unbelievable complicated trip. It will take any and all spontaniety (sp) out of a trip, which many of us know makes the trip more enjoyable. I know myself and many others believe it is just a way to make all of us adopt the every second scheduled crowd. You know the ones that run purely on Monster, Redbull, and caffiene. It is a shame really because they will miss many of the wonderful things the resort and the parks in particular have to offer.

And, I am not keen on having to plan my attraction plans 180+ days out. Yes I can plan a general trip including EMH dates, co-ordinating which parks on which days that have EMH and making dining plans for that park for that day. But ,planning attractions is a little bit too much. There are a whole list of what if's like deciding not to do a park on a particular day and go to another park instead. Changing dining plans is easy, but changing stuff can lead to planning and time going to waste.

I have grown to accept fastpass for what it is and can work within that system effectively.And if the SB lines become the next short lines, I will abandon FP happily. But I fear that FP+ will just make wait times longer for all people. And I think it is because our society is the right now, right away, all for me society.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom