Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

bhg469

Walt Disney Resort Guests & Passholders well get a Magic Band for free. Anyone else well have to purchase one or just receive a RFID ticket media card that offers the same advantages of the system.
I figured. It would be neat to have one but my next visit I will sadly be buying a 1 day park hopper. No chance I'm paying a dime for it. Just to have it on my arm.

COProgressFan

I figured. It would be neat to have one but my next visit I will sadly be buying a 1 day park hopper. No chance I'm paying a dime for it. Just to have it on my arm.

Just out of curiosity, what would be so neat about it? I despise the very concept of wearing a tacky bracelet on my wrist during my vacation. Reminds me of all-you-can-ride night at the church carnival...but WDW seems to want to approach that level anyway.

If I ever stay on property again (used to always stay on site, now rarely do) I will tell the front desk I have no interest in wearing said band, and would prefer a standard ticket.

G00fyDad

Just out of curiosity, what would be so neat about it? I despise the very concept of wearing a tacky bracelet on my wrist during my vacation. Reminds me of all-you-can-ride night at the church carnival...but WDW seems to want to approach that level anyway.

If I ever stay on property again (used to always stay on site, now rarely do) I will tell the front desk I have no interest in wearing said band, and would prefer a standard ticket.

And they'll give you said ticket. ;)

I personally want this band. I would prefer to be able to customize it with different prints, but maybe that will come in the future.

bhg469

Because I like messing with RFID and NFC tags with my phone. I want to see what's on it. My biggest draw to disney world has always been the technology that drives it. I never cared about the movies or characters. For me this is almost another attraction. I'm the type of person that checks tech sites like 4 times a day to see what's new.

DisneyCane

Credit card RFID was not implemented very smartly. Proably their main focus was to easily integrate with current infrastructure. In all the credit card swipe systems, the swipe reads the number of the magnetic stip, encrypts it and sends it either via phone modem or internet connection to the processor. I guess they thought that they could just do the same type of thing using RFID instead of magnetic strip. The problem is that the reader has access to the card number. A challenge/response system would take a major industry effort since the same point of sale system has to interact with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex, etc. and they go through an intermediary to do the processing as well.

Disney is a "closed" system so they can do this easily. Passive RFID has to be able to do challenge/response or all the companies that have been using RFID access cards for secure locations would have a huge security problem and people would be walking into defense contractor secure design facilities just by getting close to an employee during lunch.

minninedaisy74

I love the bracelet idea and saw some of the ones you may be able to upgrade to and they are very cute. My questions are and I am sure they haves been asked and answered so I am sorry in advance but I don't have time to read 15 pages.
1. Can FP+ be used in addition to regular FP ?
2. Are the number of FP+'s based on your resort and is it only for resort guest/AP holders?
3. Also is there an option to purchase more if you want to use more then your allotment?
TIA

flynnibus

Premium Member
1. Can FP+ be used in addition to regular FP ?
2. Are the number of FP+'s based on your resort and is it only for resort guest/AP holders?
3. Also is there an option to purchase more if you want to use more then your allotment?
TIA

1 - No, FP+ replaces FP
2 - Unknown, but some are speculating allotments will vary based on what you've spent/buy
3 - No signs of this yet, but if #2 happens, you may be able to indirectly

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's interesting to note that this sort of technology isn't new to theme/amusement parks. Here is an article about a system installed at Dollywood and Paramount's Great America back in 2005. From the article:

"The SAMSys readers work in tandem with special RFID-enabled bracelets to identify family members at various
locations around the venue as well as facilitate cashless transactions for the purchase of food, drinks and merchandise on the premises"

Sounds familier.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...tions-for-family-locator-system-53884577.html

G00fyDad

1 - No, FP+ replaces FP
2 - Unknown, but some are speculating allotments will vary based on what you've spent/buy
3 - No signs of this yet, but if #2 happens, you may be able to indirectly

FP+ replaces FP if you choose to use the FP+. Currently you can do either one. Just wanted to clarify that for those who may mistake that to mean that they have done away with FP already.

flynnibus

Premium Member
FP+ replaces FP if you choose to use the FP+. Currently you can do either one. Just wanted to clarify that for those who may mistake that to mean that they have done away with FP already.

True - but that's only a matter of time. It is still either or.. with FP going away.

Maerj

Disney plans on making matching Disney MagicBand earrings and necklaces so that your entire ensemble will be coordinated! Come on now, all the cool kids will be wearing them!

G00fyDad

True - but that's only a matter of time. It is still either or.. with FP going away.

Yeah, for now we still have regular FP. I would prefer it stay compared to FP+. If FP+ were set up like an "a la carte" where you could choose your rides instead of "ride packages" then it would be worth it, for my family. But I have no desire to set myself up with just a Splash Mountain and Space Mountain FP+ set that includes a bunch of silly FP's to attrations I have no wish to see or ride. Then that would be all I could get FP's for that day?! Stupid. If I could feasibly set up a 9am SpaceM, 9:45am SplashM, 10:30am HM, 11:15am Jungle Cruise, etc... then it would be worth having.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Precisely why I'm skeptical right here:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...eal-credit-cards-208613001.html?tab=video&c=y

A smart phone dups credit cards through proximity, then uses it to make purchases.

Will Disney make their system more secure than the big credit card companies, despite having much less to lose and being far less likely to be hacked? I'm just not seeing it as likely.

Credit cards do not require a pin number for purchases. Disney's system does. So they clone your Magic Band or RFID card and then they also have to know your pin. It is possible but much easier to just steal from guests not using the new system. Plenty of people will still be using regular credit cards in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom