News Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2023 Earnings Results Webcast

EricsBiscuit

We are still going to have to be patient for major new additions to WDW. Next year when their cash flow improves they’ll be able to announce new projects, most likely to open in 2028. 2028 will probably be when new additions starts to come on line.

Jrb1979

We are still going to have to be patient for major new additions to WDW. Next year when their cash flow improves they’ll be able to announce new projects, most likely to open in 2028. 2028 will probably be when new additions starts to come on line.
That's 8 years too late. They needed new attractions yesterday. IMO they should be adding something new every year

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Have to be patient? When their cash flow improves? Cash flow is fine, allegedly. It's been 4 years since the last "major addition" was announced, unless you want to count a bunch of blue sky vaporware that hasn't seen a shovel move yet. And will whatever is announced be an actual addition or just more of the same rip-and-replace, resulting in the same attraction count and improving nothing from a park experience standpoint?

CJR

The real reason attendance is down at WDW? All those people who opted to spend $$$ on Taylor Swift tickets instead of a WDW vacation.

That, definitely, that.

I think a lot of Disney guests are taking cruises too. Even MSC is selling out. Disney is probably seeing it with DCL.

Since they'll probably release it on streaming, soon people might be able to watch TSwift while taking a cruise.

So after this year, we've got.....one attraction coming domestically.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

And not even a completely new attraction, but a heavy overhaul of one of their most popular rides.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The third part is really draining their good will and customer pool…much more than they’ll admit

Prior to THE PLAGUE…the incentives were pretty consistent and good. Solid value annual passes, tables in wonderland, solid discounts on extras…
Which made total sense since the point of dvc…from day 1…was to get customers who always showed up and always spent. And we/they have.

They’ve honestly treated you like prisoners since.

I honestly don’t know where the points are going now? I imagine a lot are being used in exchange or dumped into rentals. Hard to get a full sense of that data though…

$lappie did away with the AP discount for DVC members before the pandemic, because he and Tight Pants decided making DVC people pay full price was a better strategy.

DVC has had its benefits slowly whittled away. The only true benefits are larger rooms and full kitchen availability for non-studio rooms.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Then they wouldn’t have sold…

And if contracts lapse…ddc takes them back and tries to resell 20 years used Saratoga for $125 a point

It’s laughable
$125/point? Don't you mean $185/point? ;)

It's beyond laughable at this point. It's been viewed as a revenue stream for the last decade and a half. Anyone who wants to argue that need only look at the number of DVC resorts that have been created/built since 2008.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
$125/point? Don't you mean $185/point? ;)

It's beyond laughable at this point. It's been viewed as a revenue stream for the last decade and a half. Anyone who wants to argue that need only look at the number of DVC resorts that have been created/built since 2008.
I’m talking used…I don’t know what they’re up to now…but it’s a joke of a joke

New prices are as well

el_super

Of all Iger strategies, the idea of holding on ramping up the most significant chunk of theme park investment until the end of the decade is the most...bizarre approach to running a business that I've seen in recent times. I struggle to see the business justification. What's the rationale to investors?

Probably not the most popular opinion on a fan site: but within the last few years, they had several billion dollars worth of investment (SWGE, MMRR, Tron, Guardians, Toontown, Frozen, Ratatouille) in all of their parks and it will take a few more years before a big segment of their customer base has cycled through the parks to see all the new things. So there is still revenue to be gained from their prior projects.

New attractions would be planned to account for raising ticket prices and overall decreases in revenue, but it seems they are not too concerned about that right now.

Of course interest rates are still pretty high, and I think they may want to step back a bit and find out what's working and what isn't from a creative perspective. Rebuilding WDI will take some time too.

Overall though I think it's a good idea to take some time with a plan to spend so much money, rather than just throwing it all into a new Zootopia land and calling it a day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
$lappie did away with the AP discount for DVC members before the pandemic, because he and Tight Pants decided making DVC people pay full price was a better strategy.

I know what they did…it’s collapsing faster than even I would have guessed

But somewhere…deep in the Bowels of a dell in celebration…

There is data about dvc attendance and spending numbers in parks…
And I’ll pay a nice…crisp…Abraham Lincoln for anyone who can slip it to me 🤑

Indy_UK

I bought a bunch of DVC points resale and do see the value in it as we would be staying in Deluxe resorts anyway.

It’s not quite ‘the con’ people think it is.

Buying direct for so called ‘perks probably is otherwise I think it’s a sound purchase compared to rack rake hotel prices that continue to go up?

celluloid

Probably not the most popular opinion on a fan site: but within the last few years, they had several billion dollars worth of investment (SWGE, MMRR, Tron, Guardians, Toontown, Frozen, Ratatouille) in all of their parks and it will take a few more years before a big segment of their customer base has cycled through the parks to see all the new things. So there is still revenue to be gained from their prior projects.

Frozen?

celluloid

Hong Kong.

You listed investments open within the last few years that guests on fansites have enjoyed but others have not(although Galaxy's Edge was majority over four ago August 2019) and threw that in. It does not attract the guest for your mention until it is open.

At any rate, theme parks are a constant and steady investment. The famine and hope the feast is good thing has proven not to work so well. It's giving hungry people chicken and calling it a steak far too often.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

That's 8 years too late. They needed new attractions yesterday. IMO they should be adding something new every year

Have to be patient? When their cash flow improves? Cash flow is fine, allegedly. It's been 4 years since the last "major addition" was announced, unless you want to count a bunch of blue sky vaporware that hasn't seen a shovel move yet. And will whatever is announced be an actual addition or just more of the same rip-and-replace, resulting in the same attraction count and improving nothing from a park experience standpoint?
I agree with both of you it’s way too late that’s just what we have to realistically expect barring some major change in management for the better (fat chance).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You listed investments open within the last few years that guests on fansites have enjoyed but others have not(although Galaxy's Edge was majority over four ago August 2019) and threw that in. It does not attract the guest for your mention until it is open.

At any rate, theme parks are a constant and steady investment. The famine and hope the feast is good thing has proven not to work so well. Its giving hungry people chicken and calling it a steak far too often.
It's only been 17 years. We have to give Bob's plans for the parks time before we evaluate them. Let's re-evaluate things in, say, 2047.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom