Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2022 Earnings Results Webcast

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm renewing. My family watches enough content to make it worth it, and plus I would prefer to lock in the lower rate for ad-free for at least another year.
I’m sure I’ll crack and pay the $79.99…

But I probably won’t go much higher and don’t want ads. I know how to find abc if I want ads.

What’s ironic is I like - most part - the D original shows and series…

What’s now lagging are the movies…cause they aren’t producing enough of it quality to rewatch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Their movie slate was awful…they need avatar to really bail them out

(I hear a non-spoiler review of wakanda today…it’s not gonna do it. But will still make money)

Am I crazy…but didn’t Disney buy a movie studio that created the biggest franchise In modern Hollywood? Some space stuff?

What happened to those movies? 🙄

Last edited:

BrianLo

As a consumer, I enjoy Disney+, but as a business strategy is seems somewhat dubious.

They're hoping it turns a profit in the next 12-18 months (about 4-5 years after launch) because they think they won't see a significant drop in subscribers once they charge more and run ads, or that those will offset such losses.

I wonder if they're thinking of cutting back on new content, or looking for ways to make it cheaper?

The key statistic here is average revenue per user. Ignoring India that’s currently 5.87$ per month for Disney Plus and 16.7$ per month for Netflix. That’s why Disney DTC is shedding 4 billion a year and Netflix is positive 5.

It’s why the 2024 guidance never changed despite the massive change in subscriptions. Spending ramped up accordingly, but profitability is largely dependent on their internal price increase forecast.

It’s kind of written on the wall with the 3 year deal, get them in and addicted, adjust them to the 2023 year without complete sticker shock and crank up the subscription price further to a profitable margin for 2024.

I doubt ARPU will be 16.7 like Netflix by any means, but I certainly expect their profitability tipping point is 10USD. That’s really not unreasonable to expect everyone to run for the hills when it’s largely tolerated at a much higher level than Netflix.

Totally theoretically global ARPU really only needs to increase by about 30% from its current spending level (with flat subscribers) to break even… which is actually only 8.07$ for the domestic market. I’m using roughly 10 because I assume spending will continue to increase.

I think the market is totally off the rails with subscriber expectations. Yes subscribers number matters. Yes Disney frankly practically is giving D+ away to get quickly to scale (and it worked more shockingly well than anyone expected). But people were tolerating literally 100$ cable bills 20 years ago, streamers will be exceedingly profitable even at a fraction of that endpoint. Eventually the obsession with subscriber growth will lead to market preference for ARPU growth as the endpoint to more money.

JAN J

A 20% price increase with a loss of 10% of the subscribers is a 10% revenue increase.
It's an 8% revenue increase.
1.2 x 0.9 = 1.08
But assuming prices went up 10% and they lost 10% of customers, they would actually lose revenue.

That being said, we don't know what the revenue has to be for it to break even, let alone be considered profitable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cause those people are a small part of the GP that make up who goes to Disney. For the most part most GP don't care about Dr. Evil and the behind the scenes stuff. All the care about is their littles having fun seeing a person dressed as a Mouse.
…However that group is much more likely to look at the costs racking up than most people here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wall Street is a perfidious lover...

1668000417905.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I’m sure I’ll crack and pay the $79.99…

But I probably won’t go much higher and don’t want ads. I know how to find abc if I want ads.

What’s ironic is I like - most part - the D original shows and series…

What’s now lagging are the movies…cause they aren’t producing enough of it quality to rewatch.
On an annual sub, it's only $2 more per month ($83 vs $118). Most people will find that reasonable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom