Discussion about how paid Fastpass will work

IanDLBZF

I’m also interested to see if it is a fixed priced (with moderate changes based on date and anticipated demand) if it will be:
A. Pre-sold;
B. Available for purchase day of at a preset time before you even enter the park, or;
C. Sold immediately after you scan into a park.
It could be all three, though for C. there could be a $5-10 surcharge for day of purchases.

havoc315

Havoc if your claiming that universal overcharges during off season you can’t use peak pricing $100/15=7 rides.

No… you misunderstood. During off season at Universal, everything is walk-on except 3-4 rides. I’ve been there with UEP, and every line had under a 5 minute wait except for the Harry Potter stuff.

So it’s not 7 rides… it’s 2-4 rides where the UEP saves time

I’ve never visited UO when Spider-Man, Hulk, The three Potter rides, Despicable Me, Rip Ride Rockit and Mummy weren’t significantly shorter then standby.

My last Universal trip, 2018… I don’t ride the coasters, so I have no idea if they had waits. But Spider-Man, Despicable Me and Mummy were walk-on. Hogwarts was 20 minutes. Gringotts was 30.

In 1 day, I did the 5 rides listed above, plus Jurassic Park, Transformers and Fast and Furious, Simpsons and Men in Black, and the Hogwarts Train (10 minute wait but they don’t take UEP).
so 11 attractions in 1 day… 9 were walk-on, 2 had 20-30 minute waits. So used the UEP at those 2 rides.
I didn’t pay separately for the UEP— came with the hotel. But if I had paid for it, would have been $50 per use, much more expensive than Disney Premier Access.

Trauma

Every time I’ve been to universal my express pass has been included in the cost of my “deluxe” hotel that is much more affordable than a Disney deluxe hotel.

For what Disney is wanting me to spend on just tickets and fast passes I could do 3 days at universal at a deluxe resort express included.

Disney has lost their minds.

Jrb1979

I don't look at price per ride depending on how many I get on. I look at how many re-rides I am going to get out of it. If I were only going to do 1 and done then I most likely not buying it.

Jrb1979

To add to my post, when I go to parks other then my local park, my goal has always been to get on as many attractions as possible as well as re-ride the ones I like best. Last time I was at Universal I did Mummy 10 times during the week I was there. It feels like most people are fine with 1 and done.

KingdomofDreams

Pre-sold, yes. If capacity allows, offered same day also. Offer several options - one entry per FP enabled attraction, or a set number... 3, 6.... whatever. Can be used for any FP enabled attraction, at any time. No scheduling required. Fair price. Not priced so high that the average guest can't even consider purchasing. Just set limit on number sold and when they're sold out, that's it. Over selling will only result in longer waits for both stand-by and FP and diminish the value of the now purchased FP. If they get too greedy, it will result in (even more) backlash from both groups. Maybe they could even throw a bone to their onsite hotel guests by offering a % off the purchase price based on resort level?

ilovetotravel1977

Not sure if this is keeping on topic, but what will be the outcome of the standby line? Will the new paid system essentially just be the same size FP+ line? It "might" be smaller if people that day do not feel like paying more money.

tpac24

Here is my question how many people are going to actually take advantage of this new system. So if the rumor is true that Deluxe and DVC resorts are getting an EMH wouldn't it make more sense to chunk that extra money into staying at a Deluxe resort ? We are DVC people who usually stay 5 nights on points and then another 3 nights at a moderate but if this EMH comes through we will stay our entire trip at a Deluxe to utilize EMH. We aren't in the park all day people and prefer the late afternoon night time hours so we really enjoy night time EMH's. I will be honest this pay for individual rides seems a little dirty to me. I get it other parks do it but they don't sell themselves all inclusive resorts eithers. You know a magical place away from the real world.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Disney is charging you too much to inconvenience you like that.

This is closer to my thought process. The cost will be the cost. We can not like it. We can complain about it. We can threaten not to go. We can even not go.

My whole issue with Disney's system are these "windows" they subject you to. If you're going to charge me ~$125 to park and get into the park. Let me enjoy things at my own pace.

Especially now (and keep in mind we still do not know how this is all going to work for WDW - only DLP - but let's assume it's similar) that you may be charging me per ride, don't subject me to a schedule when I'm supposed to be on vacation. I'm on vacation specifically not to adhere to schedules.

ELG13

Every time I’ve been to universal my express pass has been included in the cost of my “deluxe” hotel that is much more affordable than a Disney deluxe hotel.

For what Disney is wanting me to spend on just tickets and fast passes I could do 3 days at universal at a deluxe resort express included.

Disney has lost their minds.
My friend is a ap holder at universal and when she mentioned a deluxe hotel coming with their "fastpass" I told her"deluxe??? How in the world are you staying deluxe for a week? We have the same job lol" . Then she showed me and I was floored! The fastpass was a $150 value if she stayed elsewhere but since they were there it was included and honestly it was cheaper to do the deluxe versus the cheaper a night and buying the pass separate. Her gold AP alone is significantly cheaper than my weekday select florida resident pass. I love disney. It will always be our happy place but I do have moments where I look forward to the kids being ready to try universal or even busch gardens. Those tickets right now are insanely cheap. I could have gotten a year pass last I looked (march-deceember) for CHEAPER THAN ONE DAY AT DISNEY. I told my husband we needed to get them even if we only go one day it's still worth it. We live 7 hours away so it's not exactly something we could do spontaneously but, it was fun to think about for a little bit.

havoc315

Havoc if your claiming that universal overcharges during off season you can’t use peak pricing $100/15=7 rides. I’ve never visited UO when Spider-Man, Hulk, The three Potter rides, Despicable Me, Rip Ride Rockit and Mummy weren’t significantly shorter then standby.

I just looked up some low crowd days on TP's historical calendar for Universal...
Including a day I was there in February 2019... Only 6 Express Pass attractions had average standby waits of over 15 minutes. (that's average, so there were times of day when they were higher, but in the morning and evening, they were walk-on). On 2 attractions over 25 minutes.
Only attractions that were over 15 minutes:
Fearfall (18 minutes)
ET (25 minutes)
Gringotts (25 minutes)
Rip Ride Rocket (21 minutes)
Only rides over 25 minutes:
Despicable Me (33 minutes, but I did it as a walk-on in the morning)
Hippogriff (37 minutes)

So yes, on this fairly low crowd day -- The Express Pass is much more expensive than Disney's DPA, as it really would give very little value.
I mean, if I give a choice between a 25 minute line for Gringotts, or pay $15 -- I'd just take the 25 minute line.

On busy days when lines are long and Express Pass would be valuable, as you know, they charge over $300 for it. So even if you used it for 10 rides, that's still $30 per ride -- Much more expensive than Disney's Paris system.

eliza61nyc

That only goes so far though, people who kept their job are spending their entertainment money from this year and last year. Eventually all the 2020 money will be spent and everyone will finally realize the inflation that has happened in travel, food, and home supplies. I continue to expect an economic downturn in the near future, P/E ratios are way out of wack on stocks, there is no where to go but down. I don’t think Disney is going to escape this one scot free like they did in 2008.
oh I think they will, this is probably more anecdotal than hard data. IMO the problem with everything you just mention (which maybe true) is based on logic and one thing we're seeing from this pandemic is that folks have gotten a taste of the work life balance and the thought of "this is my vacation, I'm going hard because I'm worth it". I know many folks who are great budgeters and scrimp and save in their real life, on vacation? they want the convenience, they want the memories, especially the "youngins" who have 20-30 years to work.
I know hard core Dave Ramsey budgeters who will blow 500 bucks on Disney's bibbidy boobidy boo thing simply to see their two daughters dressed as their favorite princess.
Paid fast pass? yeah, they going to kick out the dough to save the time.
I think it's going to be some type of tiered system though

hopemax

My friend is a ap holder at universal and when she mentioned a deluxe hotel coming with their "fastpass" I told her"deluxe??? How in the world are you staying deluxe for a week? We have the same job lol" . Then she showed me and I was floored! The fastpass was a $150 value if she stayed elsewhere but since they were there it was included and honestly it was cheaper to do the deluxe versus the cheaper a night and buying the pass separate. Her gold AP alone is significantly cheaper than my weekday select florida resident pass. I love disney. It will always be our happy place but I do have moments where I look forward to the kids being ready to try universal or even busch gardens. Those tickets right now are insanely cheap. I could have gotten a year pass last I looked (march-deceember) for CHEAPER THAN ONE DAY AT DISNEY. I told my husband we needed to get them even if we only go one day it's still worth it. We live 7 hours away so it's not exactly something we could do spontaneously but, it was fun to think about for a little bit.
I have an AP rate at the Portofino (their best hotel) for $234/night in August. With EP included, it's a no brainer to stay onsite. Even though my Dad has nice free beds to sleep in. Unfortunately, with all of Disney's shenanigans more people are learning about their options, so I don't expect these deals to remain when the pandemic is fully in the rear view. I love Mickey, but dancing with Minions is cool too.

JIMINYCR

If its offered at a price, people will decide if the number of attraction opportunities they are buying is worth bypassing the aggravation of longer line waits or the chance of missing out on the things they want to get to do. Once they decide the worth of whats offered to them they will budget for it by saving more or cutting other items from their trip. Disney will sell them and profit greatly from a paid FP system. When anything is up-charged the consumer makes decisions based upon whats affordable or whats worth going into debt for.
My reaction to a paid FP will be one that I will pay for if it will improve my trip and bring more opportunities to have a better time. No differerent from my deciding the value of my resort stay or meal selections. If it makes me save more for what I want, I will be willing to do it.

ELG13

I have an AP rate at the Portofino (their best hotel) for $234/night in August. With EP included, it's a no brainer to stay onsite. Even though my Dad has nice free beds to sleep in. Unfortunately, with all of Disney's shenanigans more people are learning about their options, so I don't expect these deals to remain when the pandemic is fully in the rear view. I love Mickey, but dancing with Minions is cool too.
That's insane. Thats cheaper than my moderate stay at the cabins at the Fort. I get the difference since it's a cabin vs a room but still. That price is close to values at peak season lol

Jeff4272

The main problem with Disney's system is the advanced planning is required (no spontaneity), they gave out too many so the standby lines were too long, anyone not staying in a resort did not have a chance at the top rides at the 30 day mark.

The old FP, MaxPass and now Premier Access Pass major flaw is the vast majority of guests who do not rope drop will not have access to it if it used as a day of option only. On an average day at any WDW park, if you do not arrive at the park until 11am on an 8am opening, you will likely not be able to get a desired FP until late in the day or not at all, thus spending your whole day in lines.

My proposal would be to allow Value and AP holders to buy 1 FP, Moderate 2 FP and Deluxe 3 FP, all with the ability of advanced booking or if advanced booking isn't desired, those would be anytime, any ride FP's....... This could also be amended so everyone can buy but only deluxe at 60 day, moderate at 45 day and others at 30 day...........

Then everyone can buy more FP on day of, in the parks based on remaining availability

This solves problem of not rope dropping while also giving everyone at least a shot at FP's while also monetizing it for Disney

Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom