Discriminated against FOR wearing a mask ?

dreamfinder912

Nobody's judging, and I'd appreciate not having a negative spin placed on what I actually said. I said I questioned it, as I don't understand the reasoning behind the actions when the individuals I mention were plainly by themselves.....some I personally know and NEVER wore them before the pandemic.

A few of them were participants in the hording of every roll of toilet paper in a 20 mile radius of their house too!

I see graduate students on my own campus driving across campus alone in their cars to their empty labs wearing masks. There are no kids in the car. They are alone. I've asked them directly why they do this. The reply? "I don't know.....I never thought about it.....":rolleyes:

I have yet to find anyone I've asked have any other reason than 'I don't know', or ' well, that's what we were TOLD to do.....':oops:

Of course the explanations offered are absolutely possible.....but not to the degree I've witnessed in my area in my personal opinion. This situation has created a level of paranoia that will take years to over come, regardless of what percentage vaccinations are decreed as being the 'right number'.

Once again, TOTALLY my opinion and worth about the cost of a cheap cup of coffee.

Regards! Michaelson

I'm totally the person who drives alone with one on because i'm way WAY too lazy to sanitize my hands, take it off, hang it somewhere that it's not getting all "icky" or in my way while driving...id rather just wear the stupid thing. so toss "simple human laziness" in your arsenal of explanations for this (admittedly, weird) phenomenon. :happy:

Chi84

Premium Member
Pfizer and Moderna are 94-95% effective at preventing illness and J&J is 66% effective (ask the NY Yankees about it). They don’t know how effective at preventing spread. Your definition of “extremely rare” is different than mine.
When you say those shots were shown to be 94-95% effective in the trials, what percentage of people who received those vaccines got COVID? Same thing with J&J. I'm just asking because you mentioned your definition of extremely rare.

cookiee_munster

So with mask usage now looking to be weaned out for those who have been vaccinated i have a dilemma. I have been vaccinated, but intend to keep wearing my mask for a little longer - makes me feel a little safer.

However, by wearing a mask i do now risk be associated with as someone who has not been vaccinated - as some sort of anti vaxer rebel of some sort? Will i get evil glares, pointing, whispering behind my back, casual but polite moving away from me, not sitting next to us on attractions? LOL

Hmmm
Having not read the whole of this thread, I'll just say that outside of pandemic, people have been wearing masks for years. Gosh, it's almost like the norm over in the east, and to most folk who are undergoing chemo or have a very weakened immune system wearing a mask outside in public is pretty much mandatory. So hopefully people shouldn't give you gyp about it (well I hope not anyway) because it's not just a corona virus related thing.

Ldno

I mean, I‘m fully vaccinated but I won’t wear a mask if I see the signage that says “CDC recommends that mask is optional for fully vaccinated, etc etc” in Texas is the complete opposite though, I get more glares when I don’t wear my mask than I otherwise would.

I personally hate doing russian roulette with myself at this point scared about thinking if I forgot my mask or not and it’s happened a couple of times. But then again I did get covid twice last year, the first time was right before WDW shut down back in march, second was earlier this year.

It’s truly your personal choice but my opinion is that you would get glares doing both so who cares,

mellyf

Maybe there was someone with them and you didn't notice? Maybe a child in the back seat. Maybe it's not their car. Maybe they have severe allergies. Maybe they are making two quick stops and decided to leave it on. You just don't know someone else's circumstances so should never judge.

This so much. We need to give each other grace and not assume someone else's situation is the same as our own.

And maybe there are a few like my husband...I'll glance over at him in the car and he's still wearing his mask, just because he's forgotten to take it off in between errands. 😁

And even though I'm over 50, I still succumb to peer pressure. Was in Walgreens yesterday. The sign on the door had the CDC guidelines, so I did not put my mask on. However, on walking in, I noticed everyone was wearing a mask, so even though I'm fully vaccinated, I put mine on.

wdp

Uh, no. It is what it is. If you're over 12 and you're not wearing a mask, I'm going to assume you're vaxxed. Honor among Disney Fans and all that. Don't mask, don't tell.
No one under 16 could be "fully vaccinated" for another 10+ days. Even if a child got dose #1 the day of the EUA (and dose #2 exactly 21 days later) not enough time has elapsed for the 14 days after the second dose until "full vaccination."

GinaD613

Pfizer and Moderna are 94-95% effective at preventing illness and J&J is 66% effective (ask the NY Yankees about it). They don’t know how effective at preventing spread. Your definition of “extremely rare” is different than mine.
We got pfizer, which I believe is 95%. The Yanks got JnJ.

if the chances of a breakthrough infection are so high, why did I bother getting vaxxed?

Wendy Pleakley

We got pfizer, which I believe is 95%. The Yanks got JnJ.

if the chances of a breakthrough infection are so high, why did I bother getting vaxxed?

Because the vaccines are also extremely effective at preventing people from getting extremely sick, hospitalized, or dying.

The vaccines make COVID something we can live with.

It has also been reported that a mere 2 to 3% of new COVID cases impact those with at least one vaccine dose. Breakthroughs happen, but relatively rarely, and they are less concerning.

spock8113

Fortunately we are at the point where masks are probably not required basically everywhere for those who are vaccinated.
Unfortunately, we have witnessed and have been victims of some who chose not to wear masks or get vaccinated all along.
The problem now is those who chose not to get vaccinated or wear masks all along are susceptible to still getting COVID through asymptomatic carriers or those who are vaccinated and who no longer wear masks.
Keep in mind, the latest infection rate in Florida is still around 13%. That is rather alarming when you you look at most states that are below 5%.

Lilofan

Fortunately we are at the point where masks are probably not required basically everywhere for those who are vaccinated.
Unfortunately, we have witnessed and have been victims of some who chose not to wear masks or get vaccinated all along.
The problem now is those who chose not to get vaccinated or wear masks all along are susceptible to still getting COVID through asymptomatic carriers or those who are vaccinated and who no longer wear masks.
Keep in mind, the latest infection rate in Florida is still around 13%. That is rather alarming when you you look at most states that are below 5%.
That's a sad story and I know some who are unvaccinated and are unmasked, all personal choices.

correcaminos

No one under 16 could be "fully vaccinated" for another 10+ days. Even if a child got dose #1 the day of the EUA (and dose #2 exactly 21 days later) not enough time has elapsed for the 14 days after the second dose until "full vaccination."
Technically Pfizer-BioNTech has only ever said 1 week, not two which I don'tget why they are trying to over simplify it (J&J is actually 2-4 weeks... again not sure why they got rid of it. But even then there were people vaccinating the Monday-Wednesday. So tomorrow will be 1 week for some post 2nd shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

GenerationX

People wearing a mask will fall into one of four camps:

1. Vaccinated, but still very concerned about Covid
2. Vaccinated, but have grown accustomed to wearing masks and figure it's probably healthier in general
3. Unvaccinated, but are following the rules and/or being polite
4. Vaccinated or unvaccinated, but have a really cool collection of masks and are wearing them as accessories.

I don't find anything wrong with any of these personal choices.

Jae Sea

So with mask usage now looking to be weaned out for those who have been vaccinated i have a dilemma. I have been vaccinated, but intend to keep wearing my mask for a little longer - makes me feel a little safer.

However, by wearing a mask i do now risk be associated with as someone who has not been vaccinated - as some sort of anti vaxer rebel of some sort? Will i get evil glares, pointing, whispering behind my back, casual but polite moving away from me, not sitting next to us on attractions? LOL

Hmmm

So in other words, mask wearers don't want to be treated the same way they treated the anti-maskers for the past year. Got it...

Chi84

Premium Member

Hmmm
This is an excellent reason why people should start minding their own business where masks are concerned. Get vaccinated and don’t worry about what others are doing with masks.

Lilofan

People wearing a mask will fall into one of four camps:

1. Vaccinated, but still very concerned about Covid
2. Vaccinated, but have grown accustomed to wearing masks and figure it's probably healthier in general
3. Unvaccinated, but are following the rules and/or being polite
4. Vaccinated or unvaccinated, but have a really cool collection of masks and are wearing them as accessories.

I don't find anything wrong with any of these personal choices.
Also some savvy marketers might advertise their business on the outside of the mask , free advertising. Promotional face masks with logo.

MagicRat

So in other words, mask wearers don't want to be treated the same way they treated the anti-maskers for the past year. Got it...
You are seriously comparing people who would refuse to wear a mask in the height of a pandemic, who by not wearing the mask could harm others versus someone who still chooses to wear a mask for the protection of themselves or a family member who can’t get the vaccine?

Last edited by a moderator:

buddahcjcc

When I was 24, I was strangled to death by a guy with a towel when he found out I was gay. I say "to death' because my heart stopped for a full minute. It took 4 people to wrestle him off of me.
Now I bring that up, because wearing a mask for me is an unendurable Hell of gagging, and choking, and PTSD flashbacks, but until I got my vaccine, I was wearing it anyways and living through that Hell, because I was also high risk of death for three seperate issues, so while I probably could have gotten a dr's note to avoid having to wear one at work, I couldnt then give that note to the virus and not have it infect me. Im also a cashier at a gas station, so Ive pretty much been assuming Im going to get it and die for the past year (I was exposed and quarantined three times)
Since Ive gotten the vaccine, I got that note, and took it to my work, and thankfully dont have to go through reliving that trauma. I WILL say however, the first week or so (as an autistic person) VERY weird. Youd get guests coming in and saying "well THAT guy isnt wearing a mask, why should I have to?" and the like, or having people staring at me, with angry expressions. I feel like I was being judged on my decision NOT to wear a mask, and I had no interest in having to explain the story behind that trauma to every guest that comes into our store either.
Its gotten better as our state rolled back the restrictions and vaccinated people dont have to wear the mask anymore, just the unvaccinated

Edit: Im a former Cast Member, and even though its been 5 years Ive been seperated from the company, I still refer to customers as "guests" as I worked for Disney for 9 years and its a habit lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom