Discriminated against FOR wearing a mask ?

Skibum1970

Ditto on this one. I'm always perplexed by this. The only thing that I can guess is that either they have a small child, a small old person, or just a vertically challenged person in the car who I can't see. That's what I have going on in my demented head anyway to try and explain it away. I'm more perplexed by the person walking on the side of a lonely street who is wearing a mask when there isn't anyone within 100 yrds of them. That's even more puzzling... no one around, AND outside? Okaaaaaay.

The above probably makes me sound like I'm anti-mask, but I'm not. I'm vaxxed and still wear my mask in stores when it's not supposedly necessary. For the time being it makes me more comfortable until the infection numbers plunge further. Then maybe I won't wear it in stores, etc. Outside I'm very comfortable not wearing a mask.

Regarding anti-vaxxers who are anti-maskers... all I have to say is after tens if not hundreds of thousands of years of being at the top of the food chain and not needing to worry about natural selection, it's finally back in play. If you are against vaccination, and don't think the "fake sickness" will ever get you so you refuse to wear a mask too... that's your problem. Natural selection will take its course. If you spend enough time ignoring either risks, either you'll succumb, or you'll pass your superior genes on for the "betterment" of all society.

Sometimes, I have forgotten to take my mask off or, since I'm driving a mile or less from one place to another, I just get lazy and don't take it off (Oh, the effort involved). I have continued wearing one just to make others more comfortable who might be worried. I was Pfizered back in March and not too worried currently.

The only thing that I have had is almost a type of anxiety attack while wearing one. It happened to me twice but I think that it was a combination of other events (ex. Not having eaten enough while also exercising and then being in a warm location). Both times, I had to pull the mask away from my face to breathe. The worst was when I was waiting on the Magical Express this past February. The line was very long and I think that we had been waiting about an hour plus. I hadn't really eaten anything and the wave of dizziness and shortness of breath just swept over me. I had to sit down on the floor. I actually worried that people would think that I was sick when in fact I just needed to get the blood sugar levels back up.

Of course, I will also suggest that many would prefer I wear a mask even without Covid. The jerks.

Parker in NYC

Another thing that I find interesting is a lot of folks are wearing masks because they like the fact they don't HAVE to be social anymore. (this was a news item over the weekend). They like the fact that they can continue anonymity, vaccinated or not. Though understandable to a point, that's kind of sad to me.

Then again, I'm hiding behind a handlebar moustache, so what do I know? ;)
Guilty! Also, I've grown so accustomed to leaving the house without makeup...

Last edited by a moderator:

champdisney

I hate to be passive-aggressive in my response to your passive-aggressive comment here but what the hell does any of that have to do with the OP's question?
The question was whether or not people will discriminate towards those who choose to wear a mask throughout WDW. My response was to not worry about the guests but rather be on the lookout for cast members. I speak from experience. Cast members have not been friendly since reopening last July. They have spoken down to members of my family for asking simple questions, most of them look as if they want to be left alone, and when expressing gratitude afterwards... they stay silent. A lot of them are completely unapproachable.

I get it. We’ve been in a dangerous pandemic but these guys and gals choose to work. I figured they’re taking advantage of the pandemic to go off the Onstage Script and speak in whichever manner they wish. They understand they’re understaffed and therefore they have not been so nice. If they think it’s risky to help out a guest... then why be there?

seascape

The question was whether or not people will discriminate towards those who choose to wear a mask throughout WDW. My response was to not worry about the guests but rather be on the lookout for cast members. I speak from experience. Cast members have not been friendly since reopening last July. They have spoken down to members of my family for asking simple questions, most of them look as if they want to be left alone, and when expressing gratitude afterwards... they stay silent. A lot of them are completely unapproachable.

I get it. We’ve been in a dangerous pandemic but these guys and gals choose to work. I figured they’re taking advantage of the pandemic to go off the Onstage Script and speak in whichever manner they wish. They understand they’re understaffed and therefore they have not been so nice. If they think it’s risky to help out a guest... then why be there?
I couldn't disagree more on your view of Cast Members. When I went in April, we found the Cast Members very happy and extremely kind. And I speak from personal experience. On top of that over that past year I have had to cancel and rebooked over 10 times and every Cast Member I spoke with were wonderful.

champdisney

I couldn't disagree more on your view of Cast Members. When I went in April, we found the Cast Members very happy and extremely kind. And I speak from personal experience. On top of that over that past year I have had to cancel and rebooked over 10 times and every Cast Member I spoke with were wonderful.
That’s great. My experiences haven’t been top-notch excellent as they were prior to the pandemic but it is what it is. It’s alright to disagree. It’s just what I’ve experienced.

mf1972

my wife & i are both vaccinated & still wear masks while going out to the store, etc, & for a few reasons. we both work in a hospital so we’re used to wearing masks anyway. we also still wear them as a courtesy for those who may not be vaccinated themselves.
we’re traveling down there this october & still plan to wear a mask if it’s still required. i wouldn’t worry what other people think. as others have said, do what you think is right & safe for you.

Wendy Pleakley

I was in Japan a few years ago. About 20% of all people in crowded public areas were wearing masks. I could see that as the norm in many countries going forward.

Pretty much this. Now that we're past that initial stage of feeling strange or self conscious when wearing a mask, some people will choose to wear them in certain circumstances. I'm thinking of things like wearing one to the grocery store when one has a cold, on crowded busses, etc.

I don't see why anyone should care, but there will always be a few irrational people who take issue with what other people do even if it has zero impact on themselves.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There is one example I have seen where an antimasker will snap the mask (pull it off the person's face and snap it back at them) and tell them "we don't wear masks here". Here being anywhere that he is. Total jerk move and he has done it many times and people laugh when he does it.
Hmmm. Sounds like battery in Florida...

I doubt a cop would find it officially funny.

champdisney

I’m recounting my past two experiences within the last month. What is the harm of doing that? I said to lookout for cast members as I’ve encountered a few unfriendly ones. Whether it stems from the pandemic or not (I think so), even if I didn’t find my experience to be noteworthy within this discussion then I wouldn’t have made a post. Furthermore, I recognize the problem isn’t with all cast members, just a selective few... hence... “be on the lookout”.

BWW

Why would anybody look down at anybody for what they're wearing?
unless you're a racoon in a tutu
ballet racoon GIF
Yeah. Maybe it's different in different parts of the US? We no longer have a mask mandate here, but I'd say it's still about 70/30 without/with a mask in most stores. I really don't think anybody cares if I still wear mine.

GinaD613

We are fully vaxxed, which means we can neither get nor give the virus, with extremely rare exception. I wear mask only when entering an establishment that requires it. If you are unvaxxed and unmasked, don’t expect me to cover for your stupidity. So I say do what makes you feel comfortable, and I respect you.

Tinkerfan4ever

I have a super hard time believing this ever happened and if it did this guy being allowed to get it away with it multiple times.
I 100% happened. He spends most of his time in a bar and I have chosen to not set foot where he is after I saw it happen the second time. (One time the bouncer did remove him)
Hmmm. Sounds like battery in Florida...

I doubt a cop would find it officially funny.
I am sure it is battery where I live too. The bouncer did remove him the first time he did it.

My point is... if there are jerks like him out there, you just have to decide how you will deal with it if they are jerks to you. I personally avoid him and if he would touch my mask, I would say something or cops would be called.

Dad 2 M & M

We will be at WDW for two weeks starting this Saturday.
We are all fully vaccinated and plan on wearing our masks.
If someone wants to say something to me regarding that while we are on property, I will try my best not to get banned from WDW for life.
What?....don’t know what that means....
On social media, everyone minds everyone else's business. At WDW, they mind their own. Unless you are actually breaking a rule or going out of your way to bother or inconvenience someone, it is highly unlikely anyone (CMs or other guests) will notice or care what you are doing.
The OP sounds like one that minds other peeps business....must be checking out everyone else to know that many are staring in your direction?
Can't help but notice that OP started this topic and bounced.

mickey mouse troll GIF
Again, OP sounds like the one tending to other’s business....

On another note...as a few have posted here....the past few days at the Parks, we’ve worn our mask the entire time, save dinner at Tutto. People do look, but far more have issue with the Social Distancing than with those who wear the mask the entire time....

Again, Maintaining Social Distancing is where more have the issue

Last edited:

Willmark

I personally have no issue if a person chooses to wear a mask or not, totally up to them.

However, I will point out wearing a mask isn’t protecting the person wearing it. As we all know it was for reducing spread to others. Any notion of a non-sealing mask providing protection? And no sealing mask means air particulates can still be inhaled unless someone is using a fully face sealing SCBA with positive pressure the type fireman and even then…

If one is vaccinated, you’re not spreading it, I suppose there is some edge case out there somewhere however someone is bound to mention…

And to reiterate since I’m sure it will get missed: wear a mask or not, it’s personal choice but it’s not about protection, or at least as we were told for a year.

Weather_Lady

Guilty! Also, I've grown so accustomed to leaving the house without makeup...
Amen!

I literally wore a mask to work the other day -- even though my workplace no longer requires it for the fully vaccinated, which I am -- because I had a giant zit on my cheek that I wanted to hide. Sometimes masking is as much a win for my self-confidence as for my physical health.

Michaelson

Maybe there was someone with them and you didn't notice? Maybe a child in the back seat. Maybe it's not their car. Maybe they have severe allergies. Maybe they are making two quick stops and decided to leave it on. You just don't know someone else's circumstances so should never judge.
Nobody's judging, and I'd appreciate not having a negative spin placed on what I actually said. I said I questioned it, as I don't understand the reasoning behind the actions when the individuals I mention were plainly by themselves.....some I personally know and NEVER wore them before the pandemic.

A few of them were participants in the hording of every roll of toilet paper in a 20 mile radius of their house too!

I see graduate students on my own campus driving across campus alone in their cars to their empty labs wearing masks. There are no kids in the car. They are alone. I've asked them directly why they do this. The reply? "I don't know.....I never thought about it.....":rolleyes:

I have yet to find anyone I've asked have any other reason than 'I don't know', or ' well, that's what we were TOLD to do.....':oops:

Of course the explanations offered are absolutely possible.....but not to the degree I've witnessed in my area in my personal opinion. This situation has created a level of paranoia that will take years to over come, regardless of what percentage vaccinations are decreed as being the 'right number'.

Once again, TOTALLY my opinion and worth about the cost of a cheap cup of coffee.

Regards! Michaelson

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom