Disappointing Changes to 2008 Disney Dining

dave2822

Or lets just say that one day you are in the magic kingdom and you go to Pacos Bills for:
1/4lb cheese burger and fries $5.89
Sprite $2.09

I then go get dessert over at Aloha Isle and get a
Dole whipe $2.89

Later in the Day I go to Cosmic rays for dinner and get:
1/2 roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies $7.99
Sprite $2.09

For dessert again I find a cart selling:
Nestle Toll House ice cream sandwich $3.00

Total for the day $23.95
Thats a savings of $21.05 a day over the dining plan. $171.00 per person savings for a 7 night trip isnt bad.
Everyone seems to point out how much you can save, but I havent seen anyone compare it this way. The dining plan doesnt look like such a great deal anymore. It can go from good deal to rip off in a hurry.

True, but if you are eating no TS restaurants each day, no form of the Dining Plan would be worth the deal, right?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Or lets just say that one day you are in the magic kingdom and you go to Pacos Bills for:
Sprite $2.09

Dole whipe $2.89

Sprite $2.09

Total for the day $23.95
Thats a savings of $21.05 a day over the dining plan. $171.00 per person savings for a 7 night trip isnt bad.
Everyone seems to point out how much you can save, but I havent seen anyone compare it this way. The dining plan doesnt look like such a great deal anymore. It can go from good deal to rip off in a hurry.

I agree. For the guest who only catches maybe one or two sit down dinners on a seven day trip, and with alot of the variety that you can get at counter service locations (especially at DAK), it could be a huge boon doggle for Disney.

DisneyJoe

The dining plan would never be worth it for someone who does few or no table service meals - more than half of the value of the plan (2/3 even!) would be completely wasted.

Justin Jones

Sprite $2.09

Dole whipe $2.89

Sprite $2.09

Total for the day $23.95

You're right. However, I believe the Disney Dining Plan was created for people who are big spenders on food. For us, eating at world-class restaurants in DW is just as important as seeing Wishes or riding Space Mountain. We love Narcoosee's, California Grill, Boma, Coral Reef, Le Cellier, etc. For people like me, the Disney Dining Plan is a great deal because it's easy to spend $70 per person when eating at Narcoosee's, for example.

If you're a burger and fries type of person, I wouldn't recommend the plan.

erasure fan1

True, but if you are eating no TS restaurants each day, no form of the Dining Plan would be worth the deal, right?
Well they could do a counter service plan.:lol: Even if you throw a few TS meals in you still save money not doing the plan. It just shows that the "Deal" of the plan can go away quick.

Justin Jones said:
You're right. However, I believe the Disney Dining Plan was created for people who are big spenders on food. For us, eating at world-class restaurants in DW is just as important as seeing Wishes or riding Space Mountain. We love Narcoosee's, California Grill, Boma, Coral Reef, Le Cellier, etc. For people like me, the Disney Dining Plan is a great deal because it's easy to spend $70 per person when eating at Narcoosee's, for example.

You are right too. My point was to show that the numbers can go both ways. It seems like the in thing to do is show how expensive a meal you can make and say "see the dining plan is an awesome deal!" Even though most would never eat that way. Is it a good or bad deal? Well thats all in the eyes of who uses it. I just want to show the other side of the argument.

I dont agree with the burger and fries thing. You can eat some nice stuff around WDW counter service. Epcot has tons of great stuff in WS alone. If you look you can find it, and a lot of it is the same quality as in the TS. places.

Disney just lost a lot of business. The DDP brought in a lot more money to their food service operations. I think that in 2008 you will see a significant reduction in revenue to food service as people go in droves away from any DDP. THis means that Disney will have a lot less money upfront and will not be encouraging people to spend more money overall at their parks by buying packages. This is a BIG mistake on Disney's part. If TS restaurants have become that popular, then add some more to encourage more spending and promote greater options.

It boils down to this would I rather have someone give me $40/day 45+ days in advance guaranteeing me revenue for my restaurants or would I hope to get $25/day the day of the visit OR WORSE only get $10/day the day of the visit and have my guests spend money elsewhere?

To me guest satisfaction, as well as good business principles, mean offer the DDP as it is with a small increase in price.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Actually, I think the Disney Dining Plan was created as an incentive to entice more people to come to Disney, stay at Disney during the dining hours, then spend more of their money after those hours on property since they never left property to dine.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Disney just lost a lot of business. The DDP brought in a lot more money to their food service operations. I think that in 2008 you will see a significant reduction in revenue to food service as people go in droves away from any DDP. THis means that Disney will have a lot less money upfront and will not be encouraging people to spend more money overall at their parks by buying packages. This is a BIG mistake on Disney's part. If TS restaurants have become that popular, then add some more to encourage more spending and promote greater options.

It boils down to this would I rather have someone give me $40/day 45+ days in advance guaranteeing me revenue for my restaurants or would I hope to get $25/day the day of the visit OR WORSE only get $10/day the day of the visit and have my guests spend money elsewhere?

To me guest satisfaction, as well as good business principles, mean offer the DDP as it is with a small increase in price.
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. I would be willing to bet you that Disney did a significant amount of market research (remember all those CMs doing surveys as you leave the parks?) about this issue. Im willing to wager that the feedback they got from guests had a fairly large impact on what the plan is being morphed into.

RiversideBunny

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. I would be willing to bet you that Disney did a significant amount of market research (remember all those CMs doing surveys as you leave the parks?) about this issue. Im willing to wager that the feedback they got from guests had a fairly large impact on what the plan is being morphed into.

The restaurants were also probably reporting a lot of food being wasted.
Hence the deletion of the appetizer.

:)

Justin Jones

Narcoosee's and some others are Signature Dining Experiences, meaning that 2 table service credits are required.

:)

Exactly... If our meal at Narcoosee's costs $70 a person and we have to use two table service vouchers, the dining plan is still a good deal. Spending $76 for 2 days, we get 1 meal at Narcoosee's for $70 plus 2 $14 counter services and 2 $3 snacks.

Justin Jones

Well they could do a counter service plan.:lol: Even if you throw a few TS meals in you still save money not doing the plan. It just shows that the "Deal" of the plan can go away quick.

You are right too. My point was to show that the numbers can go both ways. It seems like the in thing to do is show how expensive a meal you can make and say "see the dining plan is an awesome deal!" Even though most would never eat that way. Is it a good or bad deal? Well thats all in the eyes of who uses it. I just want to show the other side of the argument.

I dont agree with the burger and fries thing. You can eat some nice stuff around WDW counter service. Epcot has tons of great stuff in WS alone. If you look you can find it, and a lot of it is the same quality as in the TS. places.

I'm glad you pointed that out. A lot of people think that counter service is limited to chicken strips and such. One of my favorite restaurants at DW, Flame Tree BBQ, is counter service, and adds to the value of the dining plan.

hrcollectibles

Those "Cast members" that take the surevey's are actually an outside company.. I have a friedn that does this for a living

jt04

I like the idea that they create a price point where it is easier to actually get the meal you want where you want it. It is also good that they contiue to add restaurants to help with the over crowding problems. All of this is great for the overall guest experience and I would rather pay extra to ensure that myself.:cool: Higher prices sometimes have a good side!:wave:

scpergj

I'm glad you pointed that out. A lot of people think that counter service is limited to chicken strips and such. One of my favorite restaurants at DW, Flame Tree BBQ, is counter service, and adds to the value of the dining plan.

MMM...Flame Tree...:sohappy:

Pulled pork sandwich with onion rings....mmmm!!!

Now if only they sold a decent sweet tea...Southern Bar-B-Q just tastes better with sweet tea!

Kevin

DABIGCHEEZ

Exactly. when you think about it, just by removing the tip from the plan disney has decreased the value 18%. When you add in the now removed appetizer, the value has decreased further.

Had they left the tip in and just removed the appetizer, I'd have still gone for the plan. Now, nope. I rent a car and there are many off-site restaurants that my family enjoys as much if not more than WDW restaurants, and they are less expensive as well, so they will get the majority of my TS business until the DDP is chnaged again to be a better value. There's also enough CS variety that my family can eat healthy and have different cuisines and not have to pay TS prices (or the tip). Unfortunately I am not able to visit when the free DDP is available so that 18% is an extra hit on me and families like ours who pay extra for their DDP. Belive me, if I could get the free DDP you wouldn't hear me complain.

I think the final slap in the face was Disney acting like they did us all a favor by reducing the plan price by $1. After reducing the value of the plan anywhere from 18 -30+%, that's a lot of nerve in my book. I think this is what bothers me the most...hiding a heafty price increase by omitting items that are included in the plan.

If I do end up booking the BC again this year, I will not be taking the dining plan. I'll add it if they change it back to include the tip. if not, then my TS business will go elsewhere. Actually, after thiking about it, perhaps WDC did me a favor....TS probably wasted 2 hours of each day that I spent in the parks (between planning when we had to leave to get to our ADR, the travel time, wait time, and then dining time). If we do all CS maybe we'll save an hour or so each day to be abkle to do more attractions.

I love WDW as much as the next person. In fact, WDW is the only place my family ever went on vacation (Dad worked for a corporate sponsor and got fantastic deals in the 70s and 80s). I even have my own line of beauty and skin care based on the Beach Club that I sell on ocassion. However, this nickel and dime stuff that Disney is pulling is really starting to get on my nerves (example $10 a day for Internet in a $400+ per night room...you've got to be kidding, Hapton Inn and Holiday Inn Express give you free wireless internet AND a nice breakfast too, usually for under $100). It is getting to the point where it's obvious that the WDC is just operating in pure greed mode. Having been an annual guest almost every year since opening day, it is disheartening to see the changes in how WDW is now being run.

My kids actually do not want to return to WDW next year (they want to rent a vacation home and go other places and Fla) and at this point, between the problems we had a week ago with parking personnel (actually had to get the parking mamanger out who gave us preferred parking and VIP ride certs. due to blocked off handicapped parking that even the manager said should have been and was open), monorail issues (examples:2 monorails breaking down within 5 minutes on the same line causing express to the TTC to take 45 minutes, one trip from the Poly to MK took over 20 minutes due to being held twice on the track for traffic issues..happened at least 1x per day every day we were there) and the overall crowds (example:1 hour to get our food at Pecos Bill's), I'm inclined to agree. I can rent a vacation home for a month for what I pay for a room for a week at WDW.

I'm sure I'll be back to WDW (after 30+ vacations AND my honeynmoon there in 1987) I'm too much of a fan (eventhinking of purchasing DVC). However, if they keep nickel and diming their guests they'll certainly see less of me.
I hate...hate...hate it................. But sell me that DVC!!!!!:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom