Disappointing Changes to 2008 Disney Dining

Lucky

It will still be a good deal for some people. But for others a roughly 15% cost increase (tip no longer covered, price reduced by 2%) for less food (appetizer dropped) will mean it's no longer a good deal for them. Saying the new dining plan isn't worth the price doesn't mean we think Disney is evil or greedy or that we're being mistreated. It just means that for some of us the DDP will no longer be worth the price for what is covers. It's a simple economic judgment.

From Disney's standpoint, eliminating the appetizer should help them turn tables faster. Three-course meals take a long time to finish. Many people have suggested Disney should allow a choice between appetizer and dessert under the plan. Maybe, but then you're back to time-consuming 3 course meals: one person would order an appetizer and share it, and the other person would order a dessert and share it.

I think most people on the plan will still tip, and most of those who do will tip at least 15%. But most will probably not tip 18%.

erasure fan1

My comment was around you saying people were getting more than they should have. That's just ridiculous. If Disney chooses to provide a great deal, then so be it. Next year they have chosen not to make that available. I agree with you that there is still value and it's not a rip-off. However, I understand why people are complaining. They are looking at things from a relative perspective and you are not. Relative to the 2007 DDP, the 2008 DDP is a dramatic reduction in value. That is a fact. Now, as I said, Disney doesn't really owe us anything and has the right to change or eliminate the plan. Those who used the plan in 2007 or previous years will indeed be unhappy with the changes and I think those are valid feelings. It's human nature to compare it to the "old" days. Your point about it still being a value are also valid because that is a fact as well.

Great points. No one is wrong here, the plan is still a good deal for some and not so much for others. (like me) Everything is always compared to what was before it, it doesnt matter what it is. I dont like the changes and dont think its a good deal for ME anymore because the changes pushed it below the good deal/worth it mark. For some they will still get it, I wont, and neither are wrong.

DisneyMarg

Hope i am doing this right it is my first post. I just got back from from vacation and I used the DDP for my entire stay. This was the second time we took advantage of the program. From what I can see it is still a good deal if done right. It does not bother me to make a choice of appetizer or dessert. Most of the time my family was to full to do both. The one thing I would like them to do is leave the tip included. It just makes things easier at the end of the meal. Plus I know as my vacation winds down and money becomes tighter the tip will drop down to 15%.

Welcome! You did fine and thanks for your input. Hope to see many more posts from you!

CBOMB

Lucky that was a very logical post, and I agree with you completely.

I see some people here have said the Union made Disney remove the tips from the DDP, and that just is not true. No Union can force any Corp. to do anything. They can only negotiate a request into the contract. The Corp. will either agree to it or deny the request. If the Corp. denies the request the only alternative is for the Union membership to authorise a strike. I seriously doubt that this would be a strike issue. There are simply not enough servers to get the 66% required for a strike. I believe the regular tips made by guest on a credit card or the room key would be distributed to the servers just like the included tips were. If that's the case I really don't see that big of a loss unless I'm missing something. I really think Disney has much more to do with this than the Union. For the person who said he was going to stiff the servers because the Union requested that the tips no longer be included, I think you sound like the type of person who already stiffs the servers.

The DDP never worked for me. It was a great deal if you could eat that much, and if you ate the more expensive items. Myself I just like to eat what I like. It has really made the availability of some of the restaurants at certain times hard to obtain. If you know what time you will be hungry, and what you want to eat 6 months from now I think your life is way to regimented, but I'm happy if you are satisfied with that. I know a lot of people will argue the fact, but I feel the selection of food, the quality of the food, and the portions of the food have all diminished. The service seems to remain the same, but as I have already said I have never used the DDP.

Stellajack

Disney Dining Plan

Personally the Dining Plan never appealed to me because (a) I can't eat that much food and (B) I don't want to have to break up my park days with TS meals.

ditto. We have always decided against the dining plan, not necessarily because of the math, but because we KNEW from the get-go that we did not want to be tied to this plan.

We are coming up on our 9th trip and still are not interested in sit-downs every evening. Let's face, the beauty of this dining plan is that though it isn't for everyone, it works great for others. But, for those of you who love the plan, DON'T punish your servers by not tipping just because Disney has changed the rules. Disney doesn't have to offer ANY kind of dining plan.:lookaroun

Ella's Mommy

ditto. We have always decided against the dining plan, not necessarily because of the math, but because we KNEW from the get-go that we did not want to be tied to this plan.

We are coming up on our 9th trip and still are not interested in sit-downs every evening. Let's face, the beauty of this dining plan is that though it isn't for everyone, it works great for others. But, for those of you who love the plan, DON'T punish your servers by not tipping just because Disney has changed the rules. Disney doesn't have to offer ANY kind of dining plan.:lookaroun

I always tip. We tip even though we are on the dining plan and its usually 20% because I wasnt sure what they were getting from the mouse? I was thinking it was more like slave wages rather than 18% We have always had awesome servers too. I guess it just the luck of the draw. I will still use the dining plan cause it allows me to be stress free of picking a place to eat and worrying if we will get in or not. And I dont have the added stress of adding eatting into spending money. I would rather spend the money I have aloted myself on stuff for the baby on the way/DH/or ME!!!!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom