Do you like Dinosaur the ride in AK?

• Yes! One of my favorites!

Votes: 183 79.6%
  • No! I'll pass.

Votes: 47 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mickey&me

I didn't like the Dinosaur ride, even though I really like studying dinosaurs. I love M:S Orange and all roller coasters, but Dinosaur really seems, well, cheesy. I didn't think it was scary, I didn't think it had a good story (bringing back a dino? Can you say Jurassic Park?), and I didn't think the ride had any "magic" (time travel=darkness + lots of jostling around?). Never ride it again, as it is now. The only worse ride is Stitch.

JDM

DINOSAUR is my absolute favorite ride in AK and in my Top 2 for all the parks!!
(Haunted Mansion still #1!!)

I agree that it would be nice to have more rides in the park, but GEEZ, isn't the thing already spread out enough? I think Disney found that a "big zoo" just wasn't enough, which is why they've built Everest and the Kids Area. Granted, this park is sort of "all over the place", but....so what?

A consistent theme is nice, but the bottom line is that it must have STUFF that people want to see. Disney has always tried to be all things to all people and this is just another example. (not a bad thing)

That being said, I LOVE this ride and it's one of my "must-do" attractions on our next trip. (I'm a married father, by the way, in case that's relevant to anyone)

And I think DINOSAUR is a much better name than the more cumbersome and less flashy COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION. That would be sort of like renaming SOARIN' to "FLYING THE WORLD'S SKIES". (and EPCOT already has some awkward and ho-hum atrraction names as it is)

Nansafan

Every attraction at WDW is what you the guest make of it. We (our group of 10) try and make an adventure on every ride. We talk to Bill on Test Track, on IJA my sister to my son, "Bob, take the wheel, I've been shot" when the darts are flying, on Dinosaur we converse with the scientist guy as he talks you through your trip. We just like to have fun. No, we do not disturb other guests. With a group of 10, we are often the only riders in our vehicles. Mother always said "if you have a bad time, you have no one to blame but yourself". We make our own fun. Anyway, we love Dinosaur and never miss it when visiting AK.

t3techcom18

I think it's an alright ride in my opinon. If you wanna go do it, your choice, but if you don't, it's not a big deal. Sure, it's fun, and it's pretty cool, but just looking at how it is now, I personally think it needs an overhaul. Not entirely, but I would like to remind people, this was an attraction built on the cheap, taking everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) away that Indy had in DL, down to the track layout and simply switching the stuff around.

That, and it was basically a giant commercial later on for the flop of a movie, "Dinosaur". The ride itself has some problems, ie, plot holes, (the biggest OCD I have with the plot holes in here is how can the outside say, 'Come and experience the Time Rover for yourself!', while Grant deliberately says this mission is a secret and only for you..:veryconfu ) generic moments, and some poorly staged areas. That, and I simply think the whole building should emphasize what it said in the preshow ('Quaint exhibits in the old wing', then randomly going to talk about time travel...?). Should go from being a ye old exhbit to a lab or something futurisitic of sorts. That may be the scifi geek in me saying that, but I just feel totally out of place with it. That, and I REALLY want to get Bill Nye out of the first 'preshow'. I don't think even anyone knows bout him anymore, cause last time I went in there, I was asking myself what had happened to him since he went off the air. Sure, he has a right fit for UoE, but not here anymore.

All in all, if you just want a short fun time, then ride it. If not, then it's not gunna be the end of the world if you miss it.

mandiemoon

Yay! I loved this ride! I screamed and screamed the whole way through (I'm very easily scared), but loved it! :D Afterwards we couldn't stop laughing at how silly we acted. Definately memorable.

bfbulldog

Countdown to Extinction oh, my bad Dinosaur is a great ride. My son took his first ride on it when he was 2 1/2 and he was terrified. I got a great picture with the terror on his face. Here's the thing, even though he was telling me how scared he was as we were leaving the ride, as soon as we got out he begged my wife to go on again. Needless to say he thought it was scary, but must have been a good scare. I think it's one of the best rides in AK

ryguy

For me its the scariest ride at WDW. I love thrill rides, but I really dislike being in the pitch dark. I guess its a childhood fear that I have never really out grew.:cry:

RedGear

I'm not a huge fan of dinasour, I'd rather ride something else, but that's just me. I don't like being jerked around that much and it's not all the interesting. I am always dragged on that ride by my family, and it's usually the baragaing chip with my husband, " if you go on dinasour, i'll go on it's a small world" :ROFLOL:

PintoColvig

I check "Yes" since it's very much a ride I hit every trip but that doesn't put it in my favorites list. I like most the Carnasaurus charging up the left side but wished some the Teradactyl would still swoop down. It's still reridable though.

sbkline

Working in the parks I came across a surprise.

The most wide range of reviews on our Animal Kingdom's attraction leaves us nothing to swing from the trees about. (haha like that?)

So

Only once and not again!

or

Can't get enough. Send me back in time ANY time!

AND
Why or why not?:drevil:

I think there needs to be a third option. Neither one of your options applies to me. I like the ride, but I don't consider it a favorite. I make sure to do it on every visit, but I don't feel like "can't get enough. Send me back anytime."

fudwrapper

If i could keep my eyes open through the entire ride, i'd be able to say if it was my favorite or not. i can't do it though! i'm 31 yrs old, have been on just about every thrill ride/roller coaster they can throw at me, and this ride does me in every time! absolutely scares the bejezus out of me.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
For me its the scariest ride at WDW. I love thrill rides, but I really dislike being in the pitch dark. I guess its a childhood fear that I have never really out grew.:cry:
That's my issue also. It freaks me out to be in complete darkness. I had a panic attack in Sounds Dangerous because of the darkness.:eek:

I have a question about Dinosaur...in the pictural souvenir book it says that at the beginning your time rover "plunges recklessly in the darkness"..or something like that. Is there that dropping feeling like being on a rollar coaster. That would be strike two for me because I hate that feeling too..:dazzle:

cococola44

Original Poster
I think it's an alright ride in my opinon. If you wanna go do it, your choice, but if you don't, it's not a big deal. Sure, it's fun, and it's pretty cool, but just looking at how it is now, I personally think it needs an overhaul. Not entirely, but I would like to remind people, this was an attraction built on the cheap, taking everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) away that Indy had in DL, down to the track layout and simply switching the stuff around.

That, and it was basically a giant commercial later on for the flop of a movie, "Dinosaur". The ride itself has some problems, ie, plot holes, (the biggest OCD I have with the plot holes in here is how can the outside say, 'Come and experience the Time Rover for yourself!', while Grant deliberately says this mission is a secret and only for you..:veryconfu ) generic moments, and some poorly staged areas. That, and I simply think the whole building should emphasize what it said in the preshow ('Quaint exhibits in the old wing', then randomly going to talk about time travel...?). Should go from being a ye old exhbit to a lab or something futurisitic of sorts. That may be the scifi geek in me saying that, but I just feel totally out of place with it. That, and I REALLY want to get Bill Nye out of the first 'preshow'. I don't think even anyone knows bout him anymore, cause last time I went in there, I was asking myself what had happened to him since he went off the air. Sure, he has a right fit for UoE, but not here anymore.

All in all, if you just want a short fun time, then ride it. If not, then it's not gunna be the end of the world if you miss it.

My thoughts precisely. HOWEVER, I feel that I would take Ellen's Energy Adventure over Dinosaur anyday.

I love ellen!

Scooter

Personally, I think Dinosaur is a horrible ride/attraction.

The plot/story line is weak. The effects are horrible. Even the audio-animatronics look phoney.

I could get the same thrill if I went into a dark closet, turned on a strobe light, and had two big ugly people push me around for 5 minutes.:lookaroun

cococola44

Original Poster
I think there needs to be a third option. Neither one of your options applies to me. I like the ride, but I don't consider it a favorite. I make sure to do it on every visit, but I don't feel like "can't get enough. Send me back anytime."

No I guess you are right

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom