Dinosaur has seen better days

Cmdr_Crimson

He should be doing this....
latest

On a good day he's more like this....
moving4.gif

VicariousCorpse

The witch has been dead for years at Atlantis. They have pretty much erased most of the mentions of it so its mostly just looking at scenery now. They even brought in some cheap music to replace the beetleguise music they stole.
During the last refurb they added some effects back in, including the witch's eyes. A sign of more to come?
1st Carnotaurus: Mouth does not open, eyes are closed? (didn't even know that was possible, could just be the angle, I guess).

4th Carnotaurus: I don't know if its mouth ever moved, but it certainly doesn't now. Otherwise, I guess it's fine.
1st Carno eyes have been squinty for a long time. 4th Carno never had any movement beyond forwards or backwards. So many issues with this ride through its not worth point out everything that is wrong. A reset would fix most, I hope.

Pancho

Tell that to Transformers and Spider-Man..

Tell that to Soarin' and Flight of Passage..

Tell that to Ratatouille and M&MRR..

Tell that to The Seas with Nemo & Friends and Little Mermaid..

Tell that to O' Canada and Reflections of China..

Tell that to... Ah, you get the point.
not on the same level but how about Dumbo, astro orbiter, flying magic carpets, triceratops spin, have I missed any others?

Brad Bishop

Indiana Jones theming doesn't fit "perfectly" anywhere in AK.

He's exploring out in the jungle, desert, etc. Makes a much sense as Avatar (where they had to bring out Rhode to explain how it "fits" in AK). You could put Star Wars in there at this point and say that Hoth is sort of like the arctic or Endor is sort of like Northern California - it all fits!

peter11435

He's exploring out in the jungle, desert, etc. Makes a much sense as Avatar (where they had to bring out Rhode to explain how it "fits" in AK). You could put Star Wars in there at this point and say that Hoth is sort of like the arctic or Endor is sort of like Northern California - it all fits!
Animal kingdom is not about jungles, deserts, the arctic, or Northern California. You are conflating theme and setting.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
He's exploring out in the jungle, desert, etc. Makes a much sense as Avatar (where they had to bring out Rhode to explain how it "fits" in AK).
Rhode made avatar fit. He’s not there anymore. Therefore, Indiana Jones will not fit. The current team of imagineers are not creative enough to make anything fit.

jeanericuser001

During the last refurb they added some effects back in, including the witch's eyes. A sign of more to come?

1st Carno eyes have been squinty for a long time. 4th Carno never had any movement beyond forwards or backwards. So many issues with this ride through its not worth point out everything that is wrong. A reset would fix most, I hope.
A token effort likely as right now they are trying to figure out how to get empire of the penguins working again but those hovercrafts are still gonna need a better guidance system or a rail system otherwise it will be the same problems all over again. There is so many many many problems with the rides that are badly in need of fixes. I think they have pretty much abandoned the ride at wild arctic in favor of just using that space as a permanent howl o scream attraction. Turtles 360 seems to be permenently stuck in 2d mode and the company which makes it went down so finding a way to repair the tech or company that can make parts is gonna be tricky which is sort of sad news especially since that attraction has arguably the best use of 3d, when its working properly, on the market. Without that its not nearly as spectacular an attraction as it use to be. Now its mostly visited by people who wander on by when not heading to some of the higher tier attractions.

999th Happy Haunt

Here's the full BlogMickey ride-thru and there are quite a few issues with the first three of the Carnotauruses:

1st Carnotaurus: Mouth does not open, eyes are closed? (didn't even know that was possible, could just be the angle, I guess). Without the mouth opening, it just vaguely shakes around for a second.

2nd Carnotaurus: Starts out in forward position, so there is no chasing going on here at all. Instead you first see its tail instead of its head. Its mouth is stuck open, so at least this one is plausibly roaring, though he only mildly shakes and it looks more like it's about to keel over and die rather than chase you through the jungle.

3rd Carnotaurus: (as seen in the picture above) Its head is completely bent forward and lifeless and its front half is covered with a netting of vines. For whatever reason, the broken animatronic is still visible even in B-Mode. But don't worry, you can still see the Incredible Floating Carnotaurus Head off to the left.

4th Carnotaurus: I don't know if its mouth ever moved, but it certainly doesn't now. Otherwise, I guess it's fine.

This is a sad state for what was once my favorite attraction. I sincerely hope they restore this ride to its glory days.

2nd even carno doesnt even have a tail, making the scene look even more terrible since its body just ends after its legs. Not an issue of design since when the scene is working it’s never lit from behind to make the lack of tail apparent, this is purely an issue of maintenance.

With everything working properly or even mostly properly, Dinosaur is one of the best rides on property. It absolutely breaks my heart to see it in this state.

bcoachable

Marni- do you have any info on the possibility of them letting this one rot so they can justify a replacement (or shut down) a la Stitch?

Brad Bishop

Rhode made avatar fit. He’s not there anymore. Therefore, Indiana Jones will not fit. The current team of imagineers are not creative enough to make anything fit.
I argue:
- Rhode did a fantastic job with Animal Kingdom
- Rhode did a fantastic job with Avatar (what he was given to work with. It's a stupid movie non-franchise. You wouldn't recognize the theme song or are likely to be able to name any characters. This was Disney's answer to losing Potter.)

That does not mean Avatar belongs in Animal Kingdom. Is it a continent? No. Does it have anything at all to do with the fantasy aspect of AK? No. Not unless everything does.

They had to trot Rhode out to Validate the area. When else have they ever had to have an Imagineer tell the public, "despite you saying it does not belong, it belongs." Didn't have to do that with new fantasy land or galaxys edge. Didn't have to do that with Cars Land.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
That does not mean Avatar belongs in Animal Kingdom.
I agree. But he made Avatarland belond in Animal Kingdom.
Is it a continent? No.
It doesn't need to be. Just like dinosaurs do not need a continent.
Does it have anything at all to do with the fantasy aspect of AK? No.
I would argue that it does. It does a good job taking the place of what should have been Beastly Kingdom, with fictional creatures and plant-life. Fictional fantasy/alien-like creatures are a part of the animal kingdom as well. Avatarland takes on a whole other step in going to another PLANET that houses its OWN wildlife. It is actually kind of genius... Especially on the topic of showing people how nature will always exist past mankind's destruction/creations...
They had to trot Rhode out to Validate the area. When else have they ever had to have an Imagineer tell the public, "despite you saying it does not belong, it belongs."
That is because, again, Joe Rhode actually made Avatarland work.
Didn't have to do that with new fantasy land or galaxys edge. Didn't have to do that with Cars Land.
If Rhode didn't exist for Avatarland, it would definitely just be another galaxy's edge or cars land, that is for sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom