Dinosaur has seen better days

Midwest Elitist

Great America is pretty much a "bite sized thrill" park. We have the 5th most of coasters on the planet, but most of them are really short. We can take a lot of "firsts" though, might be wrong on some of these:

First B&M Inverted Coaster (Batman: the Ride, which has been cloned EVERYWHERE)

Maxx Force breaks some incredibly STUPID speed records (fastest inversion, fastest launch in NA) but the ride is 20 seconds. FYI, S&S which made it is the continuation of Arrow Dynamics.

Largest bumper car floor

Fastest wooden racing coaster (American Eagle)

Largest Loop "Coaster" (Hangover)

Goliath has plenty of RMC firsts and holds some records

THE WHIZZER, in which there are like 2 left in the world. Also, unlike Disney, Six Flags cares about customer feedback! The Whizzer was set to be demolished, but the backlash was huge, so they took out Shockwave instead for Superman.

Raging Bull doesn't hold anymore records, but the drop is awesome.

Viper which is a Cyclone mirror, BUT, it is the only coaster to be built BY Six Flags themselves.

All around, a great park. Worst part about it? The lines are nearly as bad as Magic Kingdom.

Great America is pretty much a "bite sized thrill" park. We have the 5th most of coasters on the planet, but most of them are really short. We can take a lot of "firsts" though, might be wrong on some of these:

First B&M Inverted Coaster (Batman: the Ride, which has been cloned EVERYWHERE)

Maxx Force breaks some incredibly STUPID speed records (fastest inversion, fastest launch in NA) but the ride is 20 seconds. FYI, S&S which made it is the continuation of Arrow Dynamics.

Largest bumper car floor

Fastest wooden racing coaster (American Eagle)

Largest Loop "Coaster" (Hangover)

Goliath has plenty of RMC firsts and holds some records

THE WHIZZER, in which there are like 2 left in the world. Also, unlike Disney, Six Flags cares about customer feedback! The Whizzer was set to be demolished, but the backlash was huge, so they took out Shockwave instead for Superman.

Raging Bull doesn't hold anymore records, but the drop is awesome.

Viper which is a Cyclone mirror, BUT, it is the only coaster to be built BY Six Flags themselves.

All around, a great park. Worst part about it? The lines are nearly as bad as Magic Kingdom.
I think you hit it right on the money with the records. The rides are all in great condition, too, with the exception of American Eagle, which I've heard is in such bad shape they can't run both trains at the same time anymore. I rode Eagle about a month ago and it was not as bad as I've felt it in the past, but it definitely needs some work. Having just visited Magic Mountain, I have to say I wouldn't be opposed to a Twisted Colossus-esque retrack, perhaps with the name "Great American Eagle."

Maxx Force is a piece of garbage. They could have made it into a "Gatekeeper" for the park...there was plenty of room for a longer ride. Instead the break run starts when you're still facing straight down. That should never happen. And the acceleration is actually a little too much, in my opinion. I went on it twice in a row at park close last month and it didn't feel so good.

This thread has ceased to be about Dinosaur...whoops. I'm sure if you went on Dinosaur several times in a row, it wouldn't feel very good either. There, I've brought us back on track.

Midwest Elitist

I think you hit it right on the money with the records. The rides are all in great condition, too, with the exception of American Eagle, which I've heard is in such bad shape they can't run both trains at the same time anymore. I rode Eagle about a month ago and it was not as bad as I've felt it in the past, but it definitely needs some work. Having just visited Magic Mountain, I have to say I wouldn't be opposed to a Twisted Colossus-esque retrack, perhaps with the name "Great American Eagle."

Maxx Force is a piece of garbage. They could have made it into a "Gatekeeper" for the park...there was plenty of room for a longer ride. Instead the break run starts when you're still facing straight down. That should never happen. And the acceleration is actually a little too much, in my opinion. I went on it twice in a row at park close last month and it didn't feel so good.

This thread has ceased to be about Dinosaur...whoops. I'm sure if you went on Dinosaur several times in a row, it wouldn't feel very good either. There, I've brought us back on track.
Dinosaur isn't a fun experience to me. It's like "LOL guys, we need to get out before the meteor hits1!1!1!1" as my (not straight) back is being bashed against the seat. I think it is THE roughest ride at the resort.

Cmdr_Crimson

Am I the only that thinks Dinosaur is no more β€œrough” or β€œbumpy” than most of the thrill rides in WDW? It’s basically a Star Tours motion base on wheels, and I actually think ST and MFSR can be much rougher than Dinosaur.
Have you rode Spiderman or Transformers at Universal? Better concept and far superior rides...

999th Happy Haunt

Have you rode Spiderman or Transformers at Universal? Better concept and far superior rides...
Been on both many times. Hard disagree with Transformers, far too many park in front of a screen moments with too few physical props and sets, and the action and story are incomprehensible with how fast the pacing is. I admire how small of a footprint it has to make it fit in USF so I can’t have that bad of an opinion on it, but far far far from my favorite attraction. Spider-Man and Dinosaur are much much better and easier to understand story wise, and while I agree Spider-Man is an excellent attraction I still prefer the physical environments and animatronics on Dino. I’ll also take the β€œbumpiness” of the EMVs over the spinning of the SCOOP vehicles any day of the week.

999th Happy Haunt

They’ve even done it with dinosaurs now in Beijing.
Jurassic World in Beijing on the other hand looks incredible. While I still wish the pacing was more like the River Adventure attractions where there are some scenes of awe in the beginning it still looks like probably the best use of the SCOOP vehicles. The chasing Indominus is jaw dropping.

Ldno

Am I the only that thinks Dinosaur is no more β€œrough” or β€œbumpy” than most of the thrill rides in WDW? It’s basically a Star Tours motion base on wheels, and I actually think ST and MFSR can be much rougher than Dinosaur.
That’s the thing, it used to be rougher an all around better experience, they tamed it down a lot, it use to be a good ride but now it feels like meh for sure lol

Hey on other news the carnotaurus has been fixed again for the time being lol

TwilightZone

Loved CA's Great America as a kid, but it certainly failed to update over the years and it was very, very obvious. The loss of paramount killed the park imo, even though the new owners certainly tried (I loved the gold rusher rollercoaster they added back in 2016 or so). Spongebob being there was a major draw for me and many kids and as classic as Snoopy is, he couldn't hold a candle to Spongebob.

The loss is sad, but totally understandable.
I have to wonder how the SoCal Demon is compared to ours...
Smooth as butter! Loved it, but it's quite short. Probably the ride I hope the most gets a nice home.

J4546

Jurassic World in Beijing on the other hand looks incredible. While I still wish the pacing was more like the River Adventure attractions where there are some scenes of awe in the beginning it still looks like probably the best use of the SCOOP vehicles. The chasing Indominus is jaw dropping.
sucks that the jurassic flyer mack ride is such a let down, with its massive floor underneath the entire ride lol, really ruins the sensation of height and flight imo. But yeah that jurrasic world dark ride is awesome looking

tpoly88

They kind of need to focus more on the animals, although I suspect that the animals will eventually be protested away.

They could do some things like a sky-ride or, better yet, a Peoplemover over the animal exhibits to get you a closer look at what they have. Yes, they have the Safari and that's nice. They also have the whole walk through area which is cool but it's sort of a one and done.
The people mover will work, they have one at the Bronx Zoo (or they did years ago) that took you over the areas. that's a good idea.

TrojanUSC

Everything seemed to work when I rode two days ago, but just barely. I get the sense that most of the figures on this ride will regress to 'Disco Yeti' form within the next decade or sooner, which is a shame, as I believe this happens to be the best dinosaur-themed attraction in Orlando.

Rode today. The doors at the beginning aren't working. All three of the carnotaurus are stuck immobile, with the first one so bright you could see it was just only a partial figure. None of the effects in the finale/time travel back are working except a bit of smoke. My friends, who haven't ridden in years, were like "why is everything broken?" Honestly the ride should not operate when all three carnotaurus don't work. It's a big letdown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom