Dinosaur has seen better days

J4546

I think it is a bit of missed opportunity that:
- They didn't finish the Monorail to Disney Springs
- They didn't build the Peoplemover in Epcot
- They didn't build the Peoplemover in Disney Springs (first I'd heard of it was your post)
- They didn't do something about in park transportation at AK

I think DHS is small enough, for now, where it's not such a big deal. The rest? They could have all used some kind of transportation system.
A train in AK would have been an awesome experience. Probably impossible to do now though

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The town was a small fishing village. Dinosaur bones were discovered and a group of paleontologists came to the area, setting up camp in a old lodge. They formed the Dino Institute there to continue their research and opened the lodge as a restaurant to fund their institution. This was in the late 40's. Then in the late 70's they built the new Dino Institute to expand their preservation and research including state of the art technologies. In the mid 90's Dr. Marsh (The "boring" lady in the preshow video that you ignore) becomes the head of the Institute and acquires a tech company that discovers the breakthrough of time travel. safe tours to the cretaceous period are set up to help fund the further research at the Institute. The massive popularity of the tours leads to locals Chester and Hester turning their gas station into a roadside attraction amusement park to make money off of the visitors to the institute.

Everything has a purpose in Dinoland's backstory.
Let’s not forget running the tours using the old power plant / sewer system (in a desperate attempt to get the thread back on track)

In the Parks
No
Has the Indiana Jones retheme ever even been mentioned by insiders as a possibility? Because it's so hard to imagine that actually happening, particularly with such an awesome attraction like Dinosaur. It would have to be an extremely expensive ordeal, far more expensive than simply fixing up Dinosaur to its full potential again. It's not like Splash Mountain, where there are other reasons for retheming it, so I just can't see Disney spending that much money to convert the ride. And if they did convert it, they would almost certainly cut aspects of the theming/experience to make it very inferior to the original attraction.

Unless the new Indy movie has him go back in time to the Cretaceous Period...then I'd be concerned they're actually going to do this.

Cmdr_Crimson

Has the Indiana Jones retheme ever even been mentioned by insiders as a possibility? Because it's so hard to imagine that actually happening, particularly with such an awesome attraction like Dinosaur. It would have to be an extremely expensive ordeal, far more expensive than simply fixing up Dinosaur to its full potential again. It's not like Splash Mountain, where there are other reasons for retheming it, so I just can't see Disney spending that much money to convert the ride. And if they did convert it, they would almost certainly cut aspects of the theming/experience to make it very inferior to the original attraction.

Unless the new Indy movie has him go back in time to the Cretaceous Period...then I'd be concerned they're actually going to do this.
Well....There is this....
s-l500.jpg

Plot on the other hand....

From wikipedia
VALLEY OF BONES

Fresh from a ride on a Nazi submarine, Indiana Jones is persuaded by a beautiful missionary to search for her missing father in Mongolia. Professor Angus Starbuck has discovered a dinosaur bone in the Gobi Desert. But unlike other discoveries, this bone isn't ancient! As Indy crosses from China through a treacherous mountain pass to Outer Mongolia, he runs afoul of the region's fiercest warlords. Meanwhile, the world's last innocent people, dwelling in a Stone Age paradise, are poised on the brink of destruction. Suddenly Indiana Jones is dueling wild dogs and bloodthirsty killers in a desperate effort to save the most historic discovery of the twentieth century: the last living Triceratops.

Cmdr_Crimson

I have not heard of this part; do you mind elaborating? Is that alluded to anywhere or is it one of the details on the Restaurant-o-saurus newspaper clips?
I find it fascinating that the only way you have to dig deeper into the background of the Dino Institue is within the restaurant..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have not heard of this part; do you mind elaborating? Is that alluded to anywhere or is it one of the details on the Restaurant-o-saurus newspaper clips?
It’s somewhere inside the leaking mess I call my memory. I don’t recall where I got it from but it’s legit. That’s why the entrance and lobby are so posh - that’s the new, well funded institute. Soon as you leave the merge corridor you’re into the old part of the building where they’ve tapped into the power supply to power the Vortex. Nice and polished into darker and older with cables everywhere.

999th Happy Haunt

It’s somewhere inside the leaking mess I call my memory. I don’t recall where I got it from but it’s legit. That’s why the entrance and lobby are so posh - that’s the new, well funded institute. Soon as you leave the merge corridor you’re into the old part of the building where they’ve tapped into the power supply to power the Vortex. Nice and polished into darker and older with cables everywhere.
Dinoland has better world building than Galaxy’s Edge and I will die on this hill

Smiley/OCD

Wait! You didn’t hear? The Dino’s are saying that their portrayal on the attraction is “problematic” and they feel they’re being exploited and we’re just emphasizing their stereotypes and just want to be left alone and install more screens to show their true selves…

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wait! You didn’t hear? The Dino’s are saying that their portrayal on the attraction is “problematic” and they feel they’re being exploited and we’re just emphasizing their stereotypes and just want to be left alone and install more screens to show their true selves…
Not to mention the fact that each vehicle is full of "tourists" being forced to participate in unsanctioned scientific experiments against their will and without obtaining fully informed consent prior to embarking. Seems like that should invoke censure from academia, government and public circles!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom