Dinosaur has seen better days

MrPromey

Must be their incessant need to have a 1200-page backstory for everything getting in the way of making rides fun.

It's why Disney Springs is... Disney Springs.

What's the deal with those weird random strips of overhead shade you ask?

Well... once there was an overhead train - apparently the only one ever in Florida but it is no more and only parts of the infrastructure remain in a manner that was safe not to tear down... and don't think too hard about where the rest of that track would have run because... there are buildings - really old buildings, since this is an old, well established space - where that elevated train went. That train, you know, was older than the old buildings in the old town that seems to have a weird abundance of repurposed warehouse space in close proximity to classic Florida architecture and no signs of any spot that ever had a train station the train may have stopped at because the old train was gone, I guess, long before the old warehouses that were built there because - don't question it!

Anyway, enjoy your limited shade - that's the condensed version of the twenty-minute back-story about why it's there. 🙄

Want to understand the rest of it? You'll have to read the 463 page novel coming out this fall from Hachette Books...

To be fair, Pleasure Island had a convoluted backstory nobody cared about either but you didn't have to know it for any of the architetural choices to make sense and most of DTD was always on the nose about just exactly what it really was - a Disney built shopping district.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

t's why Disney Springs is... Disney Springs.

What's the deal with those weird random strips of overhead shade you ask?

Well... once there was an overhead train - apparently the only one ever in Florida but it is no more and only parts of the infrastructure remain in a manner that was safe not to tear down... and don't think too hard about where the rest of that track would have run because... there are buildings - really old buildings, since this is an old, well established space where this elevated train, older than the old buildings in the old town that seems to have a weird abundance of repurposed warehouse space in close proximity to classic Florida architecture once went through.
An example of how it is better to do nothing instead of something. The tracks are more of a long bridge, a sort of Overswamps Railroad, connecting two high points. The tracks were supposed to go go from Please Island (which still has part of the always way too small turntable built into the hardscape, out over the West Side, continue down along Buena Vista Dr and then turn across Buena Vista Drive near Typhoon Lagoon, and then ending into an artificial embankment where the line would have “continued”. You were also supposed to be able to go up onto portions of the track, and even enter some of the venues like Splitsville in a more true imitation of the High Line.

MagicHappens1971

They say this but Galaxy’s Edge feels like it was built for Disneyland more than Hollywood Studios. It’s perfectly set up around both entrances in Frontierland and Fantasyland that you are walking towards another planet.
Galaxy's Edge was designed for DLR. The transition/tunnels into Galaxy's Edge on the other coast are definitely better.

Lil Copter Cap

My point was that the story is that you are supposed to be going to get something but you just sit in the vehicle and don't do anything.

Dr. Seeker is using the Dino Institute invention of The Time Rover to his personal gain (e.g. grabbing the Iguanodon because he believes this species is “the key to understanding these magnificent creatures” — aka Dinosaurs) by co-opting a tour group’s time travel journey. We have no choice or say in the matter. We are just vibing while the Time Rover/“Computer” does all the work!

I think the story is very strong especially knowing it’s a movie tie-in.

And I think to combat the idea that the story is a bit convoluted (although I personally believe it’s straightforward) the writers knew it may be perceived as such and added a layer of simple storytelling that raises the stakes on top of the meteor crash: a big dinosaur is chasing the tour group.

And personally, the best beat of the entire story: The Iguanodon we are subsequently saving from extinction is holding up the literal tree trunk that’s blocking the ride vehicle’s path at the end, thus saving the tour group.

It’s truly storytelling at its finest. And not everyone will believe that or even get every aspect of the story after multiple rides (which, in my opinion, makes the ride even more of a headliner due to its depth!)

Movielover

Dr. Seeker is using the Dino Institute invention of The Time Rover to his personal gain (e.g. grabbing the Iguanodon because he believes this species is “the key to understanding these magnificent creatures” — aka Dinosaurs) by co-opting a tour group’s time travel journey. We have no choice or say in the matter. We are just vibing while the Time Rover/“Computer” does all the work!

I think the story is very strong especially knowing it’s a movie tie-in.

And I think to combat the idea that the story is a bit convoluted (although I personally believe it’s straightforward) the writers knew it may be perceived as such and added a layer of simple storytelling that raises the stakes on top of the meteor crash: a big dinosaur is chasing the tour group.

And personally, the best beat of the entire story: The Iguanodon we are subsequently saving from extinction is holding up the literal tree trunk that’s blocking the ride vehicle’s path at the end, thus saving the tour group.

It’s truly storytelling at its finest. And not everyone will believe that or even get every aspect of the story after multiple rides (which, in my opinion, makes the ride even more of a headliner due to its depth!)
Plus on top of all of that it's one of the best movie tie ins because it's not a repeat of the plot of the movie. It simply takes the dinos featured in the movie and crafts a entirely original narrative and characters to create it's own thing. Dinosaur should be looked at as the prime example of how to do IP tie in.

VicariousCorpse

Dinosaur should be looked at as the prime example of how to do IP tie in.
It's not an IP tie in, they were developed simultaneously with the express intent of using elements from each other. For instance the carnotaurus was designed from the beginning to be an animatronic. With the thick legs needed for support affecting the other proportions.

Movielover

It's not an IP tie in, they were developed simultaneously with the express intent of using elements from each other. For instance the carnotaurus was designed from the beginning to be an animatronic. With the thick legs needed for support affecting the other proportions.
Yes, but then the decision was made to change the name accouple years after the park open to directly tie in with the movie. As such the ride was toned down to appeal to younger audiences who would make the connection with the movie. Hence it is a IP tie in.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yes, but then the decision was made to change the name accouple years after the park open to directly tie in with the movie. As such the ride was toned down to appeal to younger audiences who would make the connection with the movie. Hence it is a IP tie in.
But the original ride was good enough to not need an IP tie-in. Much like the similar situation of Splash Mountain, where people don't need to know the IP tie-in to enjoy that ride.

That is the beauty of Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur....... When maintenance is in good working order.

I could say the same about It's Tough to be a Bug as well.

Ldno

An example of how it is better to do nothing instead of something. The tracks are more of a long bridge, a sort of Overswamps Railroad, connecting two high points. The tracks were supposed to go go from Please Island (which still has part of the always way too small turntable built into the hardscape, out over the West Side, continue down along Buena Vista Dr and then turn across Buena Vista Drive near Typhoon Lagoon, and then ending into an artificial embankment where the line would have “continued”. You were also supposed to be able to go up onto portions of the track, and even enter some of the venues like Splitsville in a more true imitation of the High Line.
Sometimes I do feel like we need some sort of transportation all the away across disney springs, they should go with a mini monorail

DoleWhipDrea

Sometimes I do feel like we need some sort of transportation all the away across disney springs, they should go with a mini monorail
The original plans for Disney's shopping area included a Peoplemover line (same for EPCOT.) If they had gone ahead and built them, some future issues wouldn't have come up, like the whole disjointed way Pleasure Island was free in some sections but not a section in the middle, causing walking issues for guests.

I also really wish Animal Kingdom had a transportation system - too bad the Discovery River Boats didn't have remotely enough capacity or interesting things to see.

I went to Animal Kingdom this morning, one last time before my AP expires. If Dinosaur had been a 5-10 min wait, I might have paid a visit, but that queue was at 40 min this morning. I feel for all of those guests who not only paid Disney premium prices for a premium product, to have to wait that long to see the current condition that the ride is in. We keep getting surveys asking why we're unsure of renewing...have the people writing these surveys actually been to the parks recently?

Brad Bishop

The original plans for Disney's shopping area included a Peoplemover line (same for EPCOT.) If they had gone ahead and built them, some future issues wouldn't have come up, like the whole disjointed way Pleasure Island was free in some sections but not a section in the middle, causing walking issues for guests.

I also really wish Animal Kingdom had a transportation system - too bad the Discovery River Boats didn't have remotely enough capacity or interesting things to see.

I went to Animal Kingdom this morning, one last time before my AP expires. If Dinosaur had been a 5-10 min wait, I might have paid a visit, but that queue was at 40 min this morning. I feel for all of those guests who not only paid Disney premium prices for a premium product, to have to wait that long to see the current condition that the ride is in. We keep getting surveys asking why we're unsure of renewing...have the people writing these surveys actually been to the parks recently?

I think it is a bit of missed opportunity that:
- They didn't finish the Monorail to Disney Springs
- They didn't build the Peoplemover in Epcot
- They didn't build the Peoplemover in Disney Springs (first I'd heard of it was your post)
- They didn't do something about in park transportation at AK

I think DHS is small enough, for now, where it's not such a big deal. The rest? They could have all used some kind of transportation system.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's pretty much this when taking the boats to Port Orleans/Riverside..Nothing to see but, it's relaxing...IMO it would be nice to see them return and use the seating area of the former RoL theater as a third dropoff point by Everest..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom