Dino rama!!!!!WHAT??????

raven

Dinoland is growing on me a little better. I'm still not a huge fan but at least I can see what they are trying to do with the theaming. The roadside carnival look is kinda cool to be at in the mornings when it's not too hot.

There are lots of hidden Disney characters in Dinoland. A hidden Mickey in the pavement crack, hidden pvc characters in the junk in the parked cars and many other things to find.

nmj91385

I agree with the fact that it looks like a carnival set up. I do like the rides, but agree that the paint is too new and looks nothing like anything else in the area.

General Grizz

My problems with Dino-Land. . .

1. Disney built parks to stay away from cheap carnivals. Oops.
2. The area is aesthetically disrupting.
3. A story is attempted to be told, but it is not full achieved.
4. Undeveloped characters (i.e. scientists in queue to Primeval Whirl) add weakness to Disney.
5. It's cheap, and we can tell. Reused rides. . . nothing unique or memorable.
6. It milks the guests' pocketbooks ($$ to spend on games that can be found anywhere).
7. "Prizes" in games are standard dinos that can be bought anywhere.

Thus the area is totally unDisneyesque, despite its cute puns and dinosaur cutouts.

What would be great is to see the area replaced with a new experience that denies each of the points above (very possible, Disney just needs to quit being cheap).

What would have been better was to put these funds into the construction of a very successful Beastly Kingdom.

Chape19714

I do like Primeval Whirl as a ride, but to avoid the cheap thinking, i would have put the coaster inside (both parts) and added some really cool lighting, but i like the friendly dino's, and plus, the line would have AC!!! TS has it's place in this land, but it too, could either be gone or be inside, and you could fly over something to do where dino's lived. The games need to go. Those are my ideas, hope they come true! Hey, it could happen! :D :wave: :king:

pinjim

Dinos were animals too!

As a read for 10 months and now first-time responder, I must say the kid in my 36 year old body loves Dino-rama. Not sure if it's me or my 7 and 5 year old kids, who both also loved the area and we've made it a priority on our visits. But to the question as why dino-rama is in Animal Kingdom, maybe it's because dinosaurs were once "animals!" :hammer:

WDWScottieBoy

Although I don't mind Primevil Whirl, I dismay the carnival games they have in the area. Walt always said he wanted something better than a carnival and to avoid all of that sort of theming. Although they didn't theme it that way, they still have the carny games there.

careship

Was watching the special on DAK from the travel channel today and they talked (WDI people) had great long discussions about dino-rama and they planned it like that and they think it's fantastic...I wish y'all would have watched this...I did tape it though. Should I type it all out verbatim?....LOL

DarkMeasures

Well Dino-Rama does bring stuff to do. But the Imagineers seem to really enjoy making Disneyfied versions of Amusment Parks/ Carnivals.

But the area should have kept protection from the heat and rain. Animal Kingdom's design makes it unbearible in Florida Weather...

I just wish the Rollercoaster built was something of a much better design. Not E-ticket but something that is more like a Traditional Steel coaster with cars with a lower center of gravity and banked turns and higher capacity.

Steamboat_Kevin

I think if he was alive today, Walt would be happy with the current state of WDW, I really do, but I think DinoRama is the one of the only exceptions, I can just picture him shaking his head thinking "Where has this gone wrong?".
Sure, it might be fine if it was a temporary solution until something better was put there, but the fact that its permanent really bothers me. I mean, they could have done so much more with the Chester and Hester characters. Now its just like a roadside carnival.
Oh well... *goes with Grizz and fetches wrecking ball* ;)

careship

SpectroMan said:
I'm waiting to hear what they said.

Oh my gosh!!! Are you serious???? I guess I could.....it'll have to wait until later though, I am cooking dinner and the boys are watching kim Possible.....

careship

Steamboat_Kevin said:
I think if he was alive today, Walt would be happy with the current state of WDW, I really do, but I think DinoRama is the one of the only exceptions, I can just picture him shaking his head thinking "Where has this gone wrong?".
Sure, it might be fine if it was a temporary solution until something better was put there, but the fact that its permanent really bothers me. I mean, they could have done so much more with the Chester and Hester characters. Now its just like a roadside carnival.
Oh well... *goes with Grizz and fetches wrecking ball* ;)

Part of the show I watched....they wanted it to feel like the roadside shows you'd see about Dinosaurs and fossils or something...I guess I will type this all out later on when I can watch and pause and type...y'all only want the DinoRama part right??????

ToTBellHop

The thing with this is I think Dino-Rama was just executed poorly. I, for one, very much like Paradise Pier at California Adventure because I think it was themed in such a way as to not appear cheap (they made their own music that is a carnival version of many of the best California songs ever--really fun--and the food is excellent!), and it is well balanced out by Soarin, Grizzly, Tower of Terror and the other attractions. Animal Kingdom just has an undeniable lack of attractions (not thrill rides; attractions). There are simply not enough filler attractions to take up guests' time.

imagineer99

DarkMeasures said:
The only problem is that most Theme Parks and Amusment Parks seem to have a Spinning Coaster that spins more than the one at Animal Kingdom. And some of them are Disney Worth in Theming. (like the one at Kennywood).

If you're reffering to that God awful "rat" ride at Kennywood...

That ride's theming was so poorly executed, that it actually made me laugh. The animatronic yeti on the Matterhorn looks more realistic. :lol:

MKCP 1985

pinjim said:
As a read for 10 months and now first-time responder, I must say the kid in my 36 year old body loves Dino-rama. Not sure if it's me or my 7 and 5 year old kids, who both also loved the area and we've made it a priority on our visits. But to the question as why dino-rama is in Animal Kingdom, maybe it's because dinosaurs were once "animals!" :hammer:

Welcome to the other side of the mirror and best wishes for a fun journey "on a distinguished road!"

MKCP 1985

ISTCNavigator57 said:
The thing with this is I think Dino-Rama was just executed poorly. . . Animal Kingdom just has an undeniable lack of attractions (not thrill rides; attractions). There are simply not enough filler attractions to take up guests' time.

I agree! What do I think of the execution of Dino-Rama? I'm in favor of it! (apologies to the late John McKay - 1st coach of Tampa Bay Bucs)

But not really, because if Primeval Whirl was immediately removed, there would be a hole in an already thin lineup of attractions at DAK. I like Primeval Whirl :lookaroun but don't think it was built to proper Disney Standards.

DAK has a long way to go to be a full and balanced Disney Park. I know in saying that, my friend barnum will disagree, but I have to agree with those who consider DAK a half day park.

imagineersrock

careship said:
Part of the show I watched....they wanted it to feel like the roadside shows you'd see about Dinosaurs and fossils or something...I guess I will type this all out later on when I can watch and pause and type...y'all only want the DinoRama part right??????
don't put yourself through that... all of us disney fanatics have seen that special 10+ times already, and know what you mean..... they make it sound so great on TV... I just wish the general public could know the whole story behind the mini-land like we do.

Tim G

ISTCNavigator57 said:
They were thinking, "we need to build something in Animal Kingdom quickly that people will like!" So they did. Primeval Whirl is pretty popular...
WDI was told NOT to think...(this time) but was told to put it there... with as little as $$$ as possible. (next to nothing, really)

It's called Off-The-Shelf Technology, they don't really like that, but sometimes it has to be done...

Quickly fill up empty spaces, no fiddle or fuzz... No concepts... No theming... (I personally really dislike that)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom