Dino rama!!!!!WHAT??????

General Grizz

Corrus said:
WDI was told NOT to think...(this time) but was told to put it there... with as little as $$$ as possible. (next to nothing, really)

It's called Off-The-Shelf Technology, they don't really like that, but sometimes it has to be done...

Quickly fill up empty spaces, no fiddle or fuzz... No concepts... No theming... (I personally really dislike that)
You think it's time to change management around a bit?

I'm waiting for today's WDI to be given the chance to do something as great as New Tomorrowland 1995 - great attractions, great theming, and all original characters.

Tim G

General Grizz said:
You think it's time to change management around a bit?

I'm waiting for today's WDI to be given the chance to do something as great as New Tomorrowland 1995 - great attractions, great theming, and all original characters.
Yeah, yeah... I know, I know... (sigh)

They again are asking themselves how tiny Imagineering can be and still maintain a strategic advantage, this started before Eisner, when he came, they hired WDI 500 people...and now they're starting again with that subject.

Competitors like Universal Studios do much of their theme park development using contractors, keeping fewer than 100 creative employees on the payroll.

These days, executives wonder whether Disney should follow a model of, outsourcing as much as possible and working its magic with off-the-shelf technologies instead of those developed in-house.

At the moment they're incredibly investment-averse. But the problem is, if you don't fund the Imagineers to constantly come up with something new, you lose a big piece of what the brand means
To be honest, WDI doesn't really happy with ME, but sometimes he STILL comes in handy to green light some projects... and he still does...
They use demos to pitch the ideas to HO Disney executives... ie. loading Eisner into a mock space capsule to get the green light for Mission: Space, and it worked...

BTW... Only about 1 in 50 projects actually gets built.

PS. Please read my PM to you...

Pioneer Hall

The area doesn't bother me that much. It sort of fits with the rest of Dinoland if you know what is going on. It also has a fun coaster that I don't mind riding. Sure it wasn't the best idea but I'll take it over having nothing.

General Grizz

Thanks, Corrus. I hope one day things at Disney will change and a focus on creativity can truly compete with the focus on money-making. :(

Very, very sad. . . let's cross or fingers.

ToTBellHop

Honestly, at the time they approved Dino-Rama it was kind of needed...If Everest had been announced then instead, it wouldn't be opening until no, and we wouldn't have seen a new ride at AK since Kali opened in 1999, which is simply unacceptable for a new park. It doesn't make it alright that they are investing so little in this park, but I can see why they needed to put something in as quickly as possible. I wish they were willing to invest money in AK like they are at California Adventure...

DigitalDisney

If you remember, the original portions of Dinoland wern't terribly exciting. I don't recall anything significant ever happening at the Fossil Lab, and the tent was somewhat interesting at best (although I wish they could have relocated it since it was educational).

In terms of what it replaced, DinoRama is far superior. Is it the best Disney could do? of course not. However, it is bringing in more people, which means we will see more attractions in the future.

It is actually moderately well done. There are a lot of little details in the area, and there are plenty of puns and gags along the way as well (both are Disney traditions). My only real gripe with the area are the carny games. Otherwise, it's just about par for the course (Triceratop Spin is just like Dumbo and Aladdin)

Also, it's not like Disney stopped making big rides. Remember that we are getting a little mountain in the next year or so, and it will easily be the 2nd biggest ride in the park. There is clearly a commitment to the future of this park.

raven

Steamboat_Kevin said:
I think if he was alive today, Walt would be happy with the current state of WDW, I really do, but I think DinoRama is the one of the only exceptions, I can just picture him shaking his head thinking "Where has this gone wrong?

Early 80's. A.K.A The hiring of Eisner. :zipit:

Danrol388

Dino-rama is definitly no good and cheap, however; if they remove it then AK will definitly suck. Even though it is bad, bad i better then empty in my opinion.

But we know sadly that dino-rama is not gonna go anywhere anytime soon. :mad:

raven

Danrol388 said:
Dino-rama is definitly no good and cheap, however; if they remove it then AK will definitly suck.

Ever notice you can type the word "suck" on the boards but you can't add "ing" to it? Suck s__________g See. Just doesn't work! :D

ToTBellHop

s__________g has a different connotation than "this sucks"...not that it matters. The only problem I have with the carny games is when they are obnoxious, yelling at me to spend $2 to play their games. That is very Six Flags. If they were more like Paradise Pier--more out of the way and easy to avoid--I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. Minus the carny games, I would say it's better much of Fantasyland was on opening day at Disneyland--basically a carnival, itself. I do, however, find it a little tacky that the time machines bump into each other on Primeval Whirl and the coaster is on a concrete slab...they could have at least planted grass...or continued the theming and poured tar on it and painted fading parking lot lines on it...

imagineer99

DigitalDisney said:
If you remember, the original portions of Dinoland wern't terribly exciting. I don't recall anything significant ever happening at the Fossil Lab, and the tent was somewhat interesting at best (although I wish they could have relocated it since it was educational).

In terms of what it replaced, DinoRama is far superior. Is it the best Disney could do? of course not. However, it is bringing in more people, which means we will see more attractions in the future.

It is actually moderately well done. There are a lot of little details in the area, and there are plenty of puns and gags along the way as well (both are Disney traditions). My only real gripe with the area are the carny games. Otherwise, it's just about par for the course (Triceratop Spin is just like Dumbo and Aladdin)

Also, it's not like Disney stopped making big rides. Remember that we are getting a little mountain in the next year or so, and it will easily be the 2nd biggest ride in the park. There is clearly a commitment to the future of this park.

Very well put.:)

Personally, I think Kali River Rapids disappointed me more than Dino-Rama. Talk about your off the shelf rides...

ToTBellHop

how was Kali River Rapids off the shelf? It's a custom raft ride with custom theming...there is nothing off-the-shelf about it. It's just too short.

imagineer99

ISTCNavigator57 said:
how was Kali River Rapids off the shelf? It's a custom raft ride with custom theming...there is nothing off-the-shelf about it. It's just too short.

Well, in my opinion, the circular raft ride is about as "off the shelf" as you can get. Every theme park from here to Houston has one.

Especially, considering how it is the current major draw in Asia. It's a huge disappointment in both innovation and engineering. A water ride with animals has SO much potential. Not to mention the fact, that a great deal of money was spent on it (unlike Dino-Rama).

However, since it's not a carbon copy of an other ride--perhaps "Off the Shelf" was a poor phrase to use. Maybe I should have said, "creatively lacking.";)

(ps. we are up really early, aren't we? :D)

ToTBellHop

Every amusement park has a log ride, too... :rolleyes: That doesn't make Splash lack creativity...there are very few rides at Disney that you can't find in an unthemed version at most amusement/"theme" parks.

WDWEric

DigitalDisney said:

2nd biggest ride...By the sounds of it EE will be not only the biggest ride in AK but quite possibly the biggest in all of WDW. AS for the Carnival Look, that is what it is supposed to be like, It is a roadside carnival cashing in on the Dino Institue, I love AK and Dino-Rama gives AK some character and energy to an otherwise layed back, relaxing park. Also Triceratop spin is also just like Astro Orbiter if i remember correctly

DisneyFan 2000

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Every amusement park has a log ride, too... :rolleyes: That doesn't make Splash lack creativity...there are very few rides at Disney that you can't find in an unthemed version at most amusement/"theme" parks.

I disagree... The reason SM doesn't lack creativity is because it was the first log flume of it's kind. It tells a story with theming and AA. Kali IMO is just a rapid ride with lots of trees around it and fire. If it had the quality of its own queue maybe I would think differently! Don't get me wrong, I love it but I agree it lacks creativity.

ToTBellHop

Kali's drop, alone, is revolutionary...even if it does pale in comparison with Grizzly River Run, the best raft ride I have ever been on. I have still not found anything like Kali in any Six Flags park...most of their raft rides are short, feature only rapids and they just dump water on you from above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom