Dining with characters is done

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Because it wasn’t very good...neither was liberty tree...chef Mickey’s...park fare...garden grill declined.

It’s the ingredients...you see the pattern?

And the prices doubled. Pattern there too.
We thought GG was surprisingly good in fall of 2019. But way too freaking expensive. Kids still ate free at that age.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We thought GG was surprisingly good in fall of 2019. But way too freaking expensive. Kids still ate free at that age.

I make some allowance for garden grill as the menu hasn’t changed much over time and they still I believe do the “home grown” thing to a certain extent.

But the price is outrageous. That not to long ago was in the ballpark of $20. Not last year...but not 1989 either

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wrote off Chef Mickey’s once we ate there and found out they got rid of the Parmesan mashed potatoes. The quality of everything went off a cliff when they did that, and we haven’t been back since. Criminal offenses like that are unforgivable in my book. I am very curious to hear more about Crystal Palace after my wife gets back.

TrojanUSC

I wrote off Chef Mickey’s once we ate there and found out they got rid of the Parmesan mashed potatoes. The quality of everything went off a cliff when they did that, and we haven’t been back since. Criminal offenses like that are unforgivable in my book. I am very curious to hear more about Crystal Palace after my wife gets back.

There was about a 5 year gap in between my Chef Mickey's visits. When I came back it wasn't the same restaurant. Gone were the "home made" dishes and replaced with defrosted mass-produced Sysco stuff. Just an absolute drop in quality unlike that I've experienced at any other restaurant. However, par is the course for what the DDP did to WDW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There was about a 5 year gap in between my Chef Mickey's visits. When I came back it wasn't the same restaurant. Gone were the "home made" dishes and replaced with defrosted mass-produced Sysco stuff. Just an absolute drop in quality unlike that I've experienced at any other restaurant. However, par is the course for what the DDP did to WDW.
I happen to like most of that "defrosted mass-produced Sysco stuff."

I don't like paying gourmet restaurant prices for it, though. Charge me Applebee prices for Applebee food.

Disney4family

We prefer the Crystal Palace b'fast to lunch and dinner. Although we've seen vloggers enjoy their meals there since it reopened, we're going to wait until b'fast comes back.
We also prefer the Garden Grill b'fast food to lunch or dinner. It was yummy and very filling. We will happily go back once it opens for b'fast again.
We did have one 'not so magical experience' with a CM for lunch there one day. The "all you can eat" concept is really "all they want you to eat". My husband got an index card with some sarcastic "master steak eater" award from the CM who really didn't want to bring him anymore meat. Her tone was quite obvious. It may not have just been that restaurant, though. The CM at Liberty Tree Tavern also didn't enjoy bringing more food one time. Only 3 tiny pieces of turkey were brought for a table of 4. We were going to draw straws, but figured we should feed the kids and one of us would fill up on popcorn after. (on a side note - we are not gluttons, nor do we have the "land planet" bodies the CMs refer to)
We've always enjoyed b'fast at Chef Mickey's until this past summer. We didn't mind that there were no characters. Honestly, we were just so thrilled to be back and experience everything we could. The food, however, was very different. There was some sort of glaze over everything. Everything from the scrambled eggs to the bacon tasted so sweet, we just couldn't eat it. Mickey waffles can be sweet and yummy, but not eggs and bacon. For the first time ever, we will not dine there this year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I thought it’d ruin the place...it has...i wish I was wrong. Here endeth the lesson.

Cheapening/overcharging for food really takes a key fundamental of what was unique about Disney parks away. Things like that take the subconscious joy out of the whole trip. You ate and enjoyed it...for many people it was better than what they were exposed to back in their hometowns...and it wasn’t a ridiculous overreach on price. Now even I - never once called cheap - think far too often each day about the prices. It just erodes everything. Like “vacation termites”.

CP was still a good breakfast, and had its amazing cinnamon French toast a year ago.
That’s poohs puffed French toast of the kiddie bar, mister 🤪

Anyway...Disney has relied on the “can’t screw up breakfast” concept and characters for going on two decades now...
The difference used to be that places like garden grill, crystal palace, chef Mickey’s actually had better dinner food in those days prior...it just isn’t as universally successful or pleasing. But they didn’t rip you off cause they could with their damn coupon system.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I get why people do character dining, but the food is not good. Or actual food.

They just crossed the rubicon on it...I hate to look (it’s cringeworthy)...so I usually don’t. But here goes:

Character breakfast prices in 2002:
Adult $16.99
Child $9.99

Total for four with tax and tip: $66.09

Current price for Hollywood and Vine (yesterday):
Adult: $42.00
Child: $27.00

Tots for 4: $174.24

Praetorians will Claim “inflation”...yet we’d all be homeless and starve if 264% was standard inflation...it doesn’t even fit into a “supply and demand” or “crowd” argument.

It’s the standard fight that we all get drug into in wdw: there are Just some that wear it like a badge of honor to blow their cash (new money...long ago internally targeted/keyed on)....as a show of “accomplishment” in wdw
It’s insane...it’s immature. But it affects everyone.

Ok...time for some tai chi and birkam to calm myself down...

Namaste

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They just crossed the rubicon on it...I hate to look (it’s cringeworthy)...so I usually don’t. But here goes:

Character breakfast prices in 2002:
Adult $16.99
Child $9.99

Total for four with tax and tip: $66.09

Current price for Hollywood and Vine (yesterday):
Adult: $42.00
Child: $27.00

Tots for 4: $174.24

Praetorians will Claim “inflation”...yet we’d all be homeless and starve if 264% was standard inflation...it doesn’t even fit into a “supply and demand” or “crowd” argument.

It’s the standard fight that we all get drug into in wdw: there are Just some that wear it like a badge of honor to blow cash their (new money...long ago internally targeted/keyed on)....
It’s insane...it’s immature. But it affects everyone.

Ok...time for some tai chi and birkam to calm myself down...

Namaste

What gets me most about the pricing is the child's price. A 5 year old who is going to have three Mickey Waffles and a glass of milk = $27 plus tax. At least at $42 I got a fighting chance of stuffing my face to the point I can try to rationalize it.

CastAStone

Premium Member
I happen to like most of that "defrosted mass-produced Sysco stuff."

I don't like paying gourmet restaurant prices for it, though. Charge me Applebee prices for Applebee food.
Heck, charge me Olive Garden prices for Applebee’s food. It is a theme park. Just don’t charge me Eddie Merlot prices for Applebee’s food.
Praetorians will Claim “inflation”...yet we’d all be homeless and starve if 264% was standard inflation...
I happen to be a youngish person with piles of student loan debt and a New Jersey mortgage at a super low interest rate. Bring on the inflation!

CastAStone

Premium Member
What gets me most about the pricing is the child's price. A 5 year old who is going to have three Mickey Waffles and a glass of milk = $27 plus tax. At least at $42 I got a fighting chance of stuffing my face to the point I can try to rationalize it.
My problem with the all you can eat breakfasts is that I need to remain flabby and pliable to squeeze into the rides; if I stuff myself my tummy won’t bend and I’ll just be riding Haunted Mansion and Ariel all day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

...That’s a lot of
Bacon

50/50 your heart shuts down before you stumble back past the podium

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom