dining plan tricks of the trade

octoberbarry

Hi everybody,

In preparation for the likely to come free dining offer, just to get us charged up, and in celebration of my 7-day trip just booked for September :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:in hopes of said plan, I propose the following thread:

Over the past couple of years, I've read here and there of suggestions by folks who have found good ways to make the most out of their dining plan credits. Why don't we get them all in one place, here? So if you've found some good way of using your credits while in WDW, tell us about it...
For instance, which restaurants give the best bang for the buck? Which snacks can double as a small meal? Ways to use left-over credits at the end of a trip? Anything you've discovered is terrific as we can all benefit when we're there...

I wasn't sure whether to put this in 'trip planning' or 'general discussion' so if I've put it in the wrong place, feel free to move it. Thanks, and I look forward to all of the YUMMY :slurp: suggestions which I will no doubt take advantage of... :animwink:

mamasha

Snack credits do not go as far as they used to in the gift shops any more. My friends were there in Feb and were told "single serving" sized products only.....no 1/2 gallon milk, big bag of chips, donut boxes....They could buy things that could be eaten at one sitting 20oz soda & water, small bag of chips. They checked later in their trip to see if they got a tight CM but were told no a few days later.
They stayed at CBR.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Snack credits do not go as far as they used to in the gift shops any more. My friends were there in Feb and were told "single serving" sized products only.....no 1/2 gallon milk, big bag of chips, donut boxes....They could buy things that could be eaten at one sitting 20oz soda & water, small bag of chips. They checked later in their trip to see if they got a tight CM but were told no a few days later.
They stayed at CBR.

That is too bad! Although, I was wondering when that was going to happen!?! I don't know why Disney feels the need to be so cheap on the snack credits? I hope they don't start limiting the selection - I enjoy being able to get some fruit or something different with my snack credit! Oh well, I guess we won't be able to stretch the DP as far as we use to. You know, with the new changes and now this, the DP is not as attractive as it use to be!:(

Upvote 0

Princess Clayre

if you have kids on the ddp.counter service meals are counter service meals,no kid meals are necessary.For example,pop food court has kids meals offered,but you do not have to order the kids meal.you can order a counter service meal for your kid,just as you would for yourself.the kids get very tired of the same offerings all over on the ddp,so it made a huge difference on our trip once we realized.

Also,many places will offer a milkshake or a sundae for your cs dessert.if you have the cm stamp your reciept ,you get about 90[?] minutes to pick it up.Its perfect for places like pop food court.You can eat,take a swim and come back for your dessert.:slurp:

Great tips. To check I am understanding this right; A child can order any counter service meal even if there's a childs option? If so does this still apply on the dinning plan for this year and do you just tell the server who to take the credit off?

Upvote 0

jmmiles

Great tips. To check I am understanding this right; A child can order any counter service meal even if there's a childs option? If so does this still apply on the dinning plan for this year and do you just tell the server who to take the credit off?

With the counter service there is no "who". WIth table service, you can see that you have adult and child (will be a code on your card like 2A3C for 2 adults and 3 children) but counter service is just counter service.

We usually get a "adult" counter service and let our kids share.

Upvote 0

GoofyMom2

I love the idea of having your receipt stamped and going back for dessert....never knew you could do that!

My favorite snack option is the ice cream cookie sandwich at Main Street bakery. 2 huge cookies and 2 equally huge scoops of ice cream....ask for an extra plate and it is plenty (and then some) for 2 people :slurp:

I have often gotten a snack from someplace and eaten it for breakfast the next day. Some examples are:
Cinnamon roll from Main Street Bakery
Schoolhouse bread from Norway
Fresh fruit from any grab and go (love the containers of cut-up fruit)

I know there are many other options. Also, many TS places will box your dessert....great for a snack later or a decadent breakfast the next day. Just don't carry it around all night with you....works best if heading to resort right after.

For some reason I always forget that the gift shops carry milk. I, too, need to have my milk before bed and for breakfast.

Always ask what is included on the DDP....some server tell you but some don't automatically. For example, the endless milkshakes at WCC are included, once we had a server tell us, next visit our server did not. Also, smoothie type drinks at Coral Reef are also included. Pays to ask!

Also, once the Columbia Harbor House let my DH get soup instead of a dessert on the DDP....he said he was sick of little chocolate cake at the chowder sounded really good. You never know! (PS, even in 90+ degree weather he said the chowder was excellent!)

Keep the great ideas coming :wave:

Upvote 0

mamasha

That is too bad! Although, I was wondering when that was going to happen!?! I don't know why Disney feels the need to be so cheap on the snack credits? I hope they don't start limiting the selection - I enjoy being able to get some fruit or something different with my snack credit! Oh well, I guess we won't be able to stretch the DP as far as we use to. You know, with the new changes and now this, the DP is not as attractive as it use to be!:(
You will be able to use the snack credit for the fruit cup!

Upvote 0

Princess Clayre

With the counter service there is no "who". WIth table service, you can see that you have adult and child (will be a code on your card like 2A3C for 2 adults and 3 children) but counter service is just counter service.

We usually get a "adult" counter service and let our kids share.

Excellent :sohappy: I never knew that.

Upvote 0

HiddenMinnie

if you have kids on the ddp.counter service meals are counter service meals,no kid meals are necessary.For example,pop food court has kids meals offered,but you do not have to order the kids meal.you can order a counter service meal for your kid,just as you would for yourself.the kids get very tired of the same offerings all over on the ddp,so it made a huge difference on our trip once we realized.

This is by far the best tip so far!!! I never realized I could order the kids something besides what was offered on the kids menu! I mean, my kids love mac and cheese, but they do get tired of it day after day. They also always griped because they never got to pick a dessert. The grapes in mickey's right ear was considered the dessert!! Thanks for head's up!!!

Upvote 0

HiddenMinnie

This is by far the best tip so far!!! I never realized I could order the kids something besides what was offered on the kids menu! I mean, my kids love mac and cheese, but they do get tired of it day after day. They also always griped because they never got to pick a dessert. The grapes in mickey's right ear was considered the dessert!! Thanks for head's up!!!

Upvote 0

Lucky

We share CS meals enough that the DDP covers both breakfast and lunch for us, especially with the snack credits. We have never needed 4 CS meals for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids). We spend almost nothing out of pocket. A couple of alcoholic drinks maybe, and refillable mugs.

Upvote 0

Princess Clayre

Re: Kids using adult counter service credits

Sorry to ask this again but has anyone use an kids counter service credit for an adult meal since the new plan came in tis year? It does clearly state in this years brochure......

Quick Service Meals
Your Quick Service Meal includes one (1) single serving:

FOR BREAKFAST
Entrée & Non-alcoholic beverage or juice
Combo meal plus one non-alcoholic beverage or juice
FOR LUNCH/DINNER
Entrée, Dessert & Non-alcoholic beverage
or Combo meal plus one non-alcoholic beverage

The Disney Dining Plan is unavailable for Guests under the age of 3,
but they may share from an adult plate at no charge or purchase a
meal from the menu. Guests ages 3-9 must order from a children’s menu where available.

Don't want to get all excited only to realize they've change the rule!

Upvote 0

mary219

it always said that.if its changed then it would now read kids counter service meals-with the amount of meals left for the trip.it would say this on your receipt or when you get the details of your trip.has anyone used the plan since the changes?i am curious if they did change it.

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Never mind, I got excited for nothing. :)

Upvote 0

serena

We were there in Jan. and also were told that they have changed the policy on snack credits regarding larger bags of snacks.... I was hoping to buy the large Chip and Dale trail mix bags, but they only allowed me to get the small "single serving" bag. I was in the AKL gift shop at the time, but they told me it was a universal change that went into effect in '08.

Upvote 0

minnie2000

Also,many places will offer a milkshake or a sundae for your cs dessert.if you have the cm stamp your reciept ,you get about 90[?] minutes to pick it up.Its perfect for places like pop food court.You can eat,take a swim and come back for your dessert.:slurp:

That's a great tip. So that means I can get my 7 year old an adult's counter service meal? She does get sick of chicken strips etc. She's quite an adventurous eater, although she doesn't eat much, so this will be great for us.

We love the figaro fries at the Pinocchio Village Haus. They cost a snack credit, but they are enough for lunch for us.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

We are 2 adults and 2 teenagers - no kids meals - and here are the places we think you get the best bang for your buck...
Counter Service - Norway (good entrees, soup, and a very yummy dessert)
Counter Service - Wolfgang Puck's at Downtown Disney (gourmet pizza)
Snack - Make your own treat at Goofy's at Downtown Disney (cover your rice crispy treat, cookie, or pretzel with caramel, nuts, sprinkles, whatever!)

We think the buffets are best for table service because everyone can try a little of everything.

But one word of warning.. on our last trip DH decided that buying several soft drinks and a bag of bagels with snack credits was a great idea for breakfast - oh, and throw in a bag of chips we might want later - but had a mini-revolt when the teenagers realized THEIR credits had been used for his little shopping spree. Oops.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

We are 2 adults and 2 teenagers - no kids meals - and here are the places we think you get the best bang for your buck...
Counter Service - Norway (good entrees, soup, and a very yummy dessert)
Counter Service - Wolfgang Puck's at Downtown Disney (gourmet pizza)
Snack - Make your own treat at Goofy's at Downtown Disney (cover your rice crispy treat, cookie, or pretzel with caramel, nuts, sprinkles, whatever!)

We think the buffets are best for table service because everyone can try a little of everything.

But one word of warning.. on our last trip DH decided that buying several soft drinks and a bag of bagels with snack credits was a great idea for breakfast - oh, and throw in a bag of chips we might want later - but had a mini-revolt when the teenagers realized THEIR credits had been used for his little shopping spree. Oops.

Yeah, we thought Wolfgang Puck Express was great considering it was a counter service. Both my husband and I had the lasagna and it was pretty good for quick service!

*Edit* I just checked out the menu for Wolfgang Puck Express and there's no lasagna on it!?!:shrug: I'm sure that's what I had - maybe it's been removed from the menu. Anyways, the menu still looks pretty good and I'll definitely be going there again.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom