dining plan tricks of the trade

octoberbarry

Hi everybody,

In preparation for the likely to come free dining offer, just to get us charged up, and in celebration of my 7-day trip just booked for September :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:in hopes of said plan, I propose the following thread:

Over the past couple of years, I've read here and there of suggestions by folks who have found good ways to make the most out of their dining plan credits. Why don't we get them all in one place, here? So if you've found some good way of using your credits while in WDW, tell us about it...
For instance, which restaurants give the best bang for the buck? Which snacks can double as a small meal? Ways to use left-over credits at the end of a trip? Anything you've discovered is terrific as we can all benefit when we're there...

I wasn't sure whether to put this in 'trip planning' or 'general discussion' so if I've put it in the wrong place, feel free to move it. Thanks, and I look forward to all of the YUMMY :slurp: suggestions which I will no doubt take advantage of... :animwink:

NCState

We're so full from our meals that the snack credits are our "gifts" that we bring back to family and friends. We will be back about 7-8 Mickey Rice Treats, so no money spend on gifts.

Upvote 0

aj_steig

Yeah yeah yeah...This is great...keep 'em coming...

I like you enthusiasm!! Congrats on your trip, we're going in September too in hopes of free dining (this would be the first time using the Dining Plan).

The Passporter website (I love this book!!) has a great article on maximizing the dining plan. Here's the link:

http://www.passporter.com/articles/disneydiningplan.asp

Allearsnet.com has some great tips too. Click on the tips, and drag down to Disney Dining Plans tips.

http://www.allearsnet.com/rta/tips.php

Have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0
For a CS meal you could also get a double cheeseburger and just order and extra bun (like 60 cents extra or something) and split it, and only use one credit. One burger is plenty, i could never eat both! Also for lunch which was a CS, I did not always want a desert (it's just too much food). So I would ask if i could get and extra water insted. Most cast members would let me a few didn't and I just got the desert. But it didn't hurt to ask.

Upvote 0

raven

Best CS for us: Flame Tree BBQ at AK (1/2 slap of ribs, cornbread, beans and drink)

Best TS for us has to be by far Boma at the AK Lodge. We couldn't believe the spread they had. And they served the best prime rib I've ever tasted. :slurp:

Most of our snacks were saved for things back at our resort gift store (donuts, drinks, chips, etc.) but we saved some for a dole whip as well!

Upvote 0

Ausdaddy

For those advising others that they can order any CS meal for their kids, this is VERY YMMV. It's true that all CS credits count the same, but your room key states how many adults and children. CM's can and will look at that. I've had it go both ways. Mine stated 2 adults and 2 children. Some CM's would only let me order two adult meals. Most didn't care. I just want people to be prepared for this. Of course, one way around that is to have the parents order separately and that way they can't tell.

Upvote 0

minnie2000

For those advising others that they can order any CS meal for their kids, this is VERY YMMV. It's true that all CS credits count the same, but your room key states how many adults and children. CM's can and will look at that. I've had it go both ways. Mine stated 2 adults and 2 children. Some CM's would only let me order two adult meals. Most didn't care. I just want people to be prepared for this. Of course, one way around that is to have the parents order separately and that way they can't tell.

What does this mean?

I have another question about CS meals. We don't really like any of the desserts in the CS restaurants. Would we be able to order anything instead? Perhaps a side order or something little?

Upvote 0

Rob562

What does this mean?

I have another question about CS meals. We don't really like any of the desserts in the CS restaurants. Would we be able to order anything instead? Perhaps a side order or something little?

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, generally meaning that policy on whatever subject may not be consistent.

As for dessert substitutions, there's not a whole lot they can do outside of their menu. I've heard of a couple instances (it might even have been earlier in this thread) where someone asked the CM and was able to get a side salad or a cup of soup instead of the dessert, but it may have been the CM bending the rules rather than a set policy to allow it. So while it doesn't hurt to ask, don't be too upset if substitutions can't be made.

The only time I know of a policy about substitutions on the Dining Plan doesn't involve dessert substitutions, but rather using a Table Service credit at a Counter Service location. They'll allow it, and during Free Dining (when some people have trouble finding available Table Service places) they often will give you a voucher for two additional Snacks to use later. This policy may apply year-round, but I haven't heard of it outside the Free Dining dates.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Also for lunch which was a CS, I did not always want a desert (it's just too much food). So I would ask if i could get and extra water insted. Most cast members would let me a few didn't and I just got the desert. But it didn't hurt to ask.

It didn't always work but like i said it's worth a shot

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom