Dining changes - how the new paperwork looks

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi Guys,

I had some of the new dining paperwork sent to me today. It shows a transcation at Mama Melrose, and is interesting to see.

The top left shows the original bill. Notice that it includes a suggested tip amount (both 18 and 20%).
Also notice that is specifies that the tip is not included with the dining plan.

The top right bill shows the bill once the Disney Dining Experience 20% discount has been applied. Notice at this point the 18% automatic tip has been applied.

The bill at the bottom left is the paperwork that comes back once the credit card has been handed over and processed. Notice that there is still a box to add a tip (even though one has been automatically included).

Hope this helps to show you how things are now operating.

Attachments

• web_diningchangesjan2008b.jpg
    web_diningchangesjan2008b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 783

wannabeBelle

Thanks Steve!!!! I noticed that on my last trip there were some places that added the 18% Gratuity and some did not. This was early to Mid December so I Am sure the 2008 rules hadnt started in as of yet!!! Belle

Disneyfan1981

Huh....I must be a little slow.....the top left is a standard bill and the one next to it is a dining discount? So not the paid Disney Dining Plan right?

Brian_WDW74

Wow. Not only are they adding the 18% gratuity, but they're adding it to the subtotal and taxing it. Then they're giving you that deceptive third receipt that makes you think the gratuity wasn't included at all.

I may have to give some serious thought to ever using my DDE card again in the future. Thanks for posting this.

imamouse

I think it's interesting that the tip is referred to as "optional" on the DDP receipt. Seems a tad bit misleading - especially if you are from a country where tipping is not customary. Thanks for sharing.

carolina_yankee

Wow. Not only are they adding the 18% gratuity, but they're adding it to the subtotal and taxing it. Then they're giving you that deceptive third receipt that makes you think the gratuity wasn't included at all.

I may have to give some serious thought to ever using my DDE card again in the future. Thanks for posting this.

I think the tax is on the subtotal with 20% off. If you look at the right receipt, the subtotal is $33.87 and the tax is $2.21, which is 6.5% of $33.87.

The total is computed as follows:

Discounted Subtotal $33.87
18% Gratuity on Original Subtotal: $7.62
6.5% Sales tax on Discounted Subtotal: $2.21

New Total using DDE: $43.70

Florida sales tax is 6% but Orange County tacks on another .5%

Assuming an 18% gratuity, the original meal would have cost $52.72 and the DDE discount (with gratuity added) comes to $43.70 - so the guest saved $9.02 by using the DDE. I guess 7 meals like that and they pay for their card.

Dirk

paul436

The bill at the bottom left is the paperwork that comes back once the credit card has been handed over and processed. Notice that there is still a box to add a tip (even though one has been automatically included).
This is the sort of thing that bothers me. The tip has already been added in. So why add another place to add a tip?! At least make mention of the included tip closer to the additional space. I'm sure many people have ended up tipping double without realizing it and without wanting to do it.

Brwneyedgirl72

Despite the fact that the logic and math are a bit confusing, the fact remains that most people do automatically give a 20% gratuity when paying for a meal, so it seems to me that they are hindering the serving staff from receiving a better tip. I always looked at my DDE as covering my tip - now, in theory, I will save an additional 2%. So if you look at it that way, in the long run, it is saving me money.

Laura

Premium Member
Hi Guys,

I had some of the new dining paperwork sent to me today. It shows a transcation at Mama Melrose, and is interesting to see.

The top left shows the original bill. Notice that it includes a suggested tip amount (both 18 and 20%).
Also notice that is specifies that the tip is not included with the dining plan.

The top right bill shows the bill once the Disney Dining Experience 20% discount has been applied. Notice at this point the 18% automatic tip has been applied.

Hope this helps to show you how things are now operating.

That original bill with the suggested tip amounts ticks me off. After the deplorable service I had at nearly every sit down meal on my last trip, had I seen a "suggested tip" amount on my receipt afterwards I'd have flipped my lid. It's rude! To me it's no different than if you were at Applebees and were completely ignored throughout your meal by your server, and then after the meal they finally appeared and said "now I suggest you tip me $8.53".

I'm usually pretty open minded about Disney's policies, but this one infuriates me. And I'm just talking about the nerve of them to put a suggested tip on the original receipt. The fact that they're auto-tipping the servers 18% with the DDE plan is ridiculous.

I am generally a 20% or above tipper, even with mediocre service. But on my last vacation the service was just BAD BAD BAD, and I was leaving restaurants fuming angry. I definitely tipped much below 20% on several occasions, and I'm telling you, it takes a really negligent server for me to tip under 20%.

wannabeBelle

Despite the fact that the logic and math are a bit confusing, the fact remains that most people do automatically give a 20% gratuity when paying for a meal, so it seems to me that they are hindering the serving staff from receiving a better tip. I always looked at my DDE as covering my tip - now, in theory, I will save an additional 2%. So if you look at it that way, in the long run, it is saving me money.

Hi there, Same here. I know several people who are DDE card holders and this is absolutely the thought among all of us. Belle

The Mom

Premium Member

I agree. I find it easier to figure a 20% tip vs 18%, so that's what I usually do. However, there are still older folks (such as myself and the over 65 crowd) who have been figuring 15% tips for decades, and have not changed to 18%. They would consider this to be charging them 3% MORE. So it probably evens out in the end. :lol:

cmeller

Dining changes - Not Happy:(

I went with my wife and her sister's family a couple of years ago when the dining plan was new. My wife and I got the dining plan and her sister's family did not. We loved it and it was a blast to eat like "royalty" for once. We actually treated my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to a sit down meal since we had two left over! It was also so nice not having to worry about tipping.

It looks like they have taken a lot of the fun out of the meal plan now:( Tipping is now our responsibility...we don't get the famous two appetizers anymore, and you can't share meals!

We were going to do a Disney World vacation again this year but I think we might go else where looking at how cheap they are getting.

I think this was a poor move!:(

Figment1986

The recept I got at Sci-fi drive in was similar to that one. I dont have a DDE card but the suggested tip is not a bad idea. I think the tip spot on the final recept is automatically printed on all credit card recepts since those on Dinning plan who end up charging the tip, and those, like me, who do not have DDP to give a tip.

Main Street USA

I don't know what world some of you live in, but 20% is a LARGE tip. This is the type of tip you give someone who did an exceptional job. 15% is still a customary and normal tip, and 10% is something you generally give someone who didn't show up all that often..and guess what...if your server sucked, they should get NOTHING. That's right, I said it. To those of you who are servers and feel you deserve a tip because it's "how you make money" or "I hardly get anything hourly," sorry, but you signed on for that type of job.

To those of you who are servers and realize a tip is just that, A TIP for a job well done, then good for you. You have logic and good sense on your side.

A tip should NEVER be a surcharge, which is what it is with the new DDE card. What a joke.

Main Street USA

I agree. I find it easier to figure a 20% tip vs 18%, so that's what I usually do. However, there are still older folks (such as myself and the over 65 crowd) who have been figuring 15% tips for decades, and have not changed to 18%. They would consider this to be charging them 3% MORE. So it probably evens out in the end. :lol:
Being that a tip is a percentage, why in the world would it go up as time passes? Percentages rise right along with inflation, and ony other charges that might be higher in ANY situation. There's NO reason that servers of today deserve more than servers from 10, 20, or even 50 years ago.

The Mom

Premium Member
Being that a tip is a percentage, why in the world would it go up as time passes? Percentages rise right along with inflation, and ony other charges that might be higher in ANY situation. There's NO reason that servers of today deserve more than servers from 10, 20, or even 50 years ago.

Hey! Watch that 50 years ago business! :lol: (I wasn't paying the bills back then, and quite frankly, very few children went to restaurants of any sort) I noticed the "standard" tip rising back in the late 80s, but 18% was only for the very high end restaurants. Now it seems to have trickled down to your local greasy spoon. :lol: And I didn't understand why you should tip a higher % on what was already a higher bill. :shrug: Tipping is illogical from the gitgo; why should an employer be allowed to pay less than the legal wage, then turn around and expect the customer to make up the difference - after the fact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom