Did the free dining announcement make you change your plans?

Has the announcement of free dining for the fall changed your Disney vacation plans?

• yes- I wasn't planning a WDW vacation this year but will now be going because of free dining

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • yes- I changed my vacation dates to fit within the free dining window

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • yes- I booked a free dining stay in addition to 1 or more WDW trips that are planned for 2009

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • no- I had already booked a vacation in the hope that free dining would be announced

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • no- my vacation outside of the dining plan window is already booked and is staying as is

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • no- I won't be visiting WDW in the remainder of 2009

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I'm not sure yet what effect free dining will have on my vacation plans for 2009

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • no- I booked a better deal without the dining plan and am sticking with it

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • no- I'm staying off property or dvc for my WDW vacation in 2009

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • no- free or not I don't want to eat that nasty food- they should be paying me!

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lately we've been hearing that the revenue loss at WDW has not been attributed to low attendance but rather to lack of spending by guests on food and merchandise. It has me wondering if free dining is really a good idea for the company and has led to this less than scientific poll, has the announcement of free dining caused you to change your Disney vacation plans for 2009?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually yes. We have a trip planned for late September and we were going to do it on the cheep. For us that means cutting back on TS and resort category as well as staying out of the stores on property. We had planned for only 1 TS meal for the 4 day trip. Now with the free dining it will actually be cheaper for me to pay rack rate for a room and get free dining then to get a room at a discount and pay for my meals. We will now be taking the same trip adding two more TS meals and will end up spending less money. Also since this entire trip will be paid for in advance we will more than likely be a little looser on the purse strings while we are there.

wdwmomof3

I was the first to vote!!:ROFLOL: Yes, I did change our plans to get free dining, but we have never been able to take advantage of it before. I also know of three other families that were on the fence about going, that will go because of it. Free dining is great for me, and will allow me to purchase several things that I was going to have to wait on. Now... if it just works out and we can get it booked, I will be set. :lookaroun:lol:

Dang... Master Yoda beat me.... I must type slow.

mousefan1972

I didn't vote because our particular situation wasn't an option... we are going in September during free dining, but are using a friend's DVC points to stay very affordably at the Beach Club Villas. This was a much better deal for us than free dining, especially since my DDE card (now called TiW card) is valid through the end of September. And we'll be going to MNSHHP one of the nights (4 night stay), so we won't eat a TS dinner that night. I'm perfectly happy with not doing the free dining promotion for this trip! Now, let's hope they do the Disney Visa free dining offer for December again.... :D

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Your poll is missing an option:

No - I booked my resort stay during the free dining time-frame, but am getting a 40% discount at Beach Club already that is better savings than free dining could ever give me. :D

DizneyPryncess

I just made the final payment on my May trip, that we saved so much on with the 4/3 deal. I was just celebrating the final payment the day before the free dining was announced. So as much as I'd love free dining - I decided to keep my original trip planned. :)

Someday I swear I'll take advantage of free dining!

Eeyore

Premium Member
Original Poster
I didn't vote because our particular situation wasn't an option... we are going in September during free dining, but are using a friend's DVC points to stay very affordably at the Beach Club Villas. This was a much better deal for us than free dining, especially since my DDE card (now called TiW card) is valid through the end of September. And we'll be going to MNSHHP one of the nights (4 night stay), so we won't eat a TS dinner that night. I'm perfectly happy with not doing the free dining promotion for this trip! Now, let's hope they do the Disney Visa free dining offer for December again.... :D

Your poll is missing an option:

No - I booked my resort stay during the free dining time-frame, but am getting a 40% discount at Beach Club already that is better savings than free dining could ever give me. :D

I've added two more options to the poll. I thought I had all the options pretty well covered, it just goes to show how complicated it is to book a Disney vacation these days without help from Pam and Kingdom Konsultants. :lol:

cblodg

There should have been another option

"Have already visited Disney World in 2009 and won't be visiting agin this year." That's what I would have put.

We're going twice in 2010, in March and in December. We so want to see the Christmas decorations again. We're planning on taking one whole day to just hotel hop and see the decorations at the hotels.

Eeyore

Premium Member
Original Poster
There should have been another option

"Have already visited Disney World in 2009 and won't be visiting agin this year." That's what I would have put.

We're going twice in 2010, in March and in December. We so want to see the Christmas decorations again. We're planning on taking one whole day to just hotel hop and see the decorations at the hotels.

I was trying to get an idea of future plans. So the option that I would have picked in your situation is "not visiting in 2009". There are so many possible scenarios, I don't think there's anyway I could cover them all in my poll. :lol: I just wanted a general idea of people's plans based on free dining.

I changed the option to say "I won't be visiting for the remainder of 2009"

nibblesandbits

I'm one who hadn't booked my trip yet, but knew I would be going in Sept. and hoped that free dining would be announced again. As soon as it was announced, I booked my trip. Although, I would have probably booked my trip for Sept. whether or not free dining was announced...free food is just a really great perk! :)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Free Dining hasn't really changed my plans. We are going during the right time frame but since we are using DVC points, it doesn't matter to us. I would love to have free dining, but it just isn't an option. :shrug:

Computer Magic

I booked a bounce-back promotion so I already have free dining!
We did the same thing last Sept. Now the 4/3 almost changed our plans. That is a better deal depending on the season rate. So I was hoping for a even better deal.

I have a feeling this year it is going to be really crowded.

mickeysaver

Ideally, yes, it could have affected our plans, however, we had a big blow out $$$$$ trip last year with extended family. So, I will be going solo in late April, but no couples vacation for us this year. I am ok with it. We are considering a trip up to the mountains where we can take our dogs with us. Not having to board the dogs will be a huge money saver.

marsrunner

Yeah, we've already been to WDW (from Arizona) once this year in January for 7 nights, so we won't be going back this year. Been to Disneyland twice so far and will certainly go at least once more. Much closer!
Anywho, I really don't think the chance of getting "free" Disney food would be much of an incentive for us, as we all think the food in WDW is pretty much crap. We eat offsite for dinners and have breakfast in our room and just have snacks (which are good) in the parks.
Maybe that should be an option; "No, the food at Disney is so craptacular that even the thought of getting it for free isn't really enticing." :)

Eeyore

Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe that should be an option; "No, the food at Disney is so craptacular that even the thought of getting it for free isn't really enticing." :)

:ROFLOL:Yeah I think I may have to add that option (making my unscientific poll even less scientific :lol:). Its a shame, the food use to be exciting and something I looked forward to on my WDW vacation- not the case anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom