Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

Elonwy

I have to say, for the first time I am shocked at the bigotry I am reading in this post! I am TOTALLY against child abuse, but what I am talking about is the posts I've read about 'everyone being foreign' and about British people and the like in this post in particular that I find shocking! I love this forum, but for people who adore the happiest place on earth, it seems we only want people who enjoy the happiness to be 'polite' Americans! Just had to throw that out there. I am a little disappointed. :veryconfu:(

I agree...I have been to over 50 countries and have experienced the most shocking, disgusting, arrogant and uninformed behaviours in the good ol' US of A. Just a note that my post on the board about the obviously abusive parents who left their child behind were American but personally I didn't think it was relevant to mention that...I guess some people feel that nationality determines behaviour so now you know where they're from so you can make a little tally and see who wins :rolleyes:

redfarmer06

'What we need, is a lizard with a ladder!'

Thanks, skellington216

One of my favorite quotes.
How many people know what movie it's from?

:)

Alice in Wonderland.

Thank'ya, thank'ya very much..

Also, this whole ordeal about foreigners? It's people that talk like that about other people that give us as Americans a bad name in the eyes of people from other countries...

Wilt Dasney

Sorry, but when other countries start being more accepting of American culture, then perhaps I'll return the favor.

That being said, when I am traveling to another country, I always endeavor to conform to THEIR customs and acceptable bahavior. Why shouldn't I expect the same from foreign visitors (not to mention those living in our OWN country).

And hygiene is hygiene. "You don't #@$! where you eat", as the saying goes.

But, if some people want to think that public "elimination" habits are fine and dandy, then there's nothing I can do to change that.
But, it's still wrong and I don't have to like it and I SURE don't have to put up with it --especially at Disney.

Didn't all this start with a comment about women using the mens room? Seems like an awful big leap to go from that discussion to pottying in public.

For the record, I'm anti-public pooping and pro-going in whichever door has the shortest line...and raised right here in the good ole US of A.

Elonwy

On topic for both the thread and the topic of whether "foreigners" are responsible for all the naughtyness at Disney...here's one that is very shocking but I'm going to try to tone it down.

I was in line for The Little Mermaid chatting with a family in front of me. They were from New Mexico and had never been to Canada. They didn't know where Nova Scotia was so my Dad explained that it's north of Maine and the response of the father of the other family was...

"OK...so ya got many (expletive for person of colour that rhymes with Tigger) up there?"

I was around 13 at the time and had never actually heard anyone use that word before...it was something I had read in books that I thought people said 50-100 years ago...but after that I thought that maybe in the States they didn't know yet what a terrible word that was.

hrcollectibles

My OMG moment mustt have been about 15 years ago, when my mom took my brothers and I. We were at the OUTDOOR 'rinse off' showers at one of the water parks (can't recall which) when a couple early 20's european girls popped off their tops and hopped under the water. Mothers everywhere tried to cover eyes, while fathers (and young boys like myself) stared on in amazement. Cast memebers appeared almost immediatley and were quite adament about getting those tops back on, but it took a few moments as the girls clearly did not speak english. Ahhh. Now thats a fond memory...

I think this is the only incident that has been mentioned that I wouldn't mind seeing ... :ROFLOL::sohappy:

brich

Forgive my passion, but it's very tiresome to keep hearing that "Americans should just get over it".
Passion? Your brush paints just a tad bit large for my liking. To each his own I guess.

After reading some of your posts in another thread concerning your feelings of the French and Michael Jackson, frankly you humor me and disgust me in the same breathe. Good luck with your opinions. I sense someone cutting the legs off your high horse someday... :cool:

Sorry all.... I'm done :shrug:

i swear, the whole american culture vs foreign culture topic comes up about once a week...

on a side note, im pretty sure if i walked into the womens bathroom because the mens room had a line, i would not be greated so warmly... not that id want to use your restrooms, ladies, ive heard yours are disgusting. i dont blame you for wanting to use ours!

SCDizney

The only OMG moment that I have seen

The only OMG moment that I have seen was when DW and I got on the bus from MK after EMH. Everyone was tired and the bus driver were waiting for some folks who were running as fast as they could to get to the bus. There was a family, of unknown nationality (not that it really matters :shrug:), sitting across from us. They had a 1-2 year old girl who was crying. The mother had fallen asleep as we waited:snore:. The father kindly lifted the mothers shirt up, no under dressing, and stuck the child to suckle the mother's breast. :eek: He did not bother to cover up and there were a couple of young boys sitting next to us with eyes wide open. The boys mother was wondering what was causing such a stir and she proceeded to cover eyes. I personally have to problem with public breast feeding of babies. But in this case, a certain law in the US that comes to mind about public nudity. Besides, most children don't understand and being as young as the two boys were really didn't need to see that, IMHO. :veryconfu

SC Dizney

Dwarful

We had an OMG moment back in 1999 at one of the value resorts. We had an early morning planned for the next day and decided to go to bed early (10 ish). Around 11:30 someone started banging on the connecting door and wall. I yelled 'knock it off'. Well, 5 minutes later it is worse than before. So I call down to the front desk and tell them whats going on. They send security up. By this time my husband is up, dressed and outside waiting for security to arrive. Turns out there were 5 kids under 10 in the room while mom and dad were having drinks down by the pool. By the morning they were either moved or removed. We never found out but we didn't have any more trouble.

Side note: As a woman I would never dream of using the men's room, nor would I dream that it would be acceptable. Disney has numerous restrooms clearly identified as such. I have never waited long for a clean stall at WDW. I have seen emergency situations where those in line have said "Please, go ahead". How many boys do you think like having 'grandma' come running in to do her business in the 'guy's only' territory? Prudish? No, I just consider it good manners.

AlishaMisha

Same here - from toddler to teen :cry:. Clearly my mother needed medication.

Sadly I know where you are coming from. I had the same situation from age 1 1/2 - 17 1/2. It wasn't just my mother but my father too. What was sad was that it was only in the home so everyone always saw them as the "model" parents when in reality I was just completely scared of them. When you grow up it does mess with your brain. Im not going to lie, I have many crying episodes especially when I see or hear anything that reminds me of it. So a lession to you all who do it (even not out of anger)...I beg of you to not. ESPECIALLY when they are old enough to remember. And you would be surprised how early a child can remember (I remember things from when I was 1 1/2. Thats how I got that number).

Okay now onto my horrifying story.

I was at The World of Disney last March (the very beginning of the month), and I was at that 6 o'clock pin trading table in the villians room. Us crazy pin traders were waiting for the CM to come to the table so we all talked. Anyways we got in some deep convo like we do on these boards about things that normal guests don't know or would even care to know...(like pool refurbs and what got painted in fantasyland) Anyways everything was going good discussing things with a fellow Disney freak when things changed suddenly. Somehow we got on the subject of Heelyz(sp?) when he says "I hate those things so much! I would give my left nut to see a kid fall on those things and get hurt. And I don't mean just a scrape. I mean get so hurt they have to go to the hospital and be in critical condition!". I was horrified! Everyone at the table was! There was children there too! Oh yeah, and if you(the person Im talking about) are a member here (which you most likely are), you definatly deserve to be talked about. Then again, you probably want that because you were pretty cocky. Anyways it was sad to find a fellow Disney lover that was a deeply disturbed freak.

One story that was funny to me did not happen in Disney nor did it happen to me but it represents the cultural difference that we have been discussing.

Two people I know have italian in them so they decided to add it to the list of countries they were going to visit on their international tour. Because of their italian family they knew a couple phrases. "Sorry" was one of them that really paid off. So they went into a resturant and went next to the register and see these mini pizzas. So they are like "oo! samples!". A couple gives them this shocked face and a worker starts yelling at them in italian to the point where they knew something was wrong but couldn't figure it out. Someone in the resturant knew english so they explained to them that they had eated the couple's meal! How embarressing! So I am okay with cultural difference as it can happen to anyone.

Oh yeah, and to add to the bathroom discussion... I think it is okay to have unisex bathrooms. As a college student, Unisex bathrooms are very common and it is not uncomfy as there are dividers. That was a good point that someone mentioned about the changing rooms. As for what happened in Epcot about the woman vomiting in the urinal, I would eel awkward being the guy as I would be "exposed" but the girl was way too occupied to even notice Im sure. Really though, if I was a guy I would always go in a stall (whith door open) because I am a really private person when it comes to the bathroom. I will go into a mens bathroom if it is one that is at a gas station or whatever...you know, a single bathroom. But I wouldn't go into a multiple stall men's bathroom as I wouldn't want to embarress the men in there. Those bathrroms are not built to be unisex.

:king:~Leash

WildLodgeFan

Somehow we got on the subject of Heelyz(sp?) when he says "I hate those things so much!

Why I don't agree with his evil sentiment, I have to agree that I dislike them. I have come across many inconsiderate children wearing these and maneuvering wherever they like, with no consideration, who they ram or cutoff as they will around. Of course, part of that is parent's not followingup with them that it's not proper to mow people down. :drevil:

Dwarful

I think the difference between the unisex restrooms in college and at WDW is the demographics, cultural differences etc. There are people who are even more conservative than many Americans and people who are far more free spirited. I know for a fact my grandpa would be wanting heads to roll if a woman came running in next to him while he was taking care of business. WDW provides ample restrooms, men, women and family restrooms. Is it really that difficult to respect these boundaries?

AlishaMisha

I think the difference between the unisex restrooms in college and at WDW is the demographics, cultural differences etc. There are people who are even more conservative than many Americans and people who are far more free spirited. I know for a fact my grandpa would be wanting heads to roll if a woman came running in next to him while he was taking care of business. WDW provides ample restrooms, men, women and family restrooms. Is it really that difficult to respect these boundaries?

I know the difference between college an WDW. I just pointed college out because that is the only place I have been in one. Personally I think having them in college would be somewhat worst because you have a bunch of (can I say that?) kids, but I have never come across this issue as everyone is very respectful in there as they expect the same from others. I go to a 10,000 student school so I think it is more than luck that I havn't had any issues. But I can see how WDW is worst because of the children aspect. I disagree with Unisex bathrooms in WDW but not in general as long as you at least have designated same ______ only bathrroms to give people a choice. In college they at least had those private bathrroms to give those uncomfortable ones an option insteed of saying "this is the way it is...now get over it". I would be a little taken back if I was in WDW and a man walked in but I wouldn't be mortified. It just something you don't see everyday.

As for public breast feeding. Well there definatly should be a max age by law. I would almost call it mild child abuse. It's not right that a child should live like that because a mother can't let go or is too lazy to find another way to keep a child content. I think the curdious thing to do in public is to have a blanket over them. When they do this I don't think anything of it. But when a woman whips out a breast I always feel extremely awkward. Sure it's natural (although I will not do it), but nakedness is natural too but we don't make it public. Lesson learned here: You can breast feed in public, just thing of others by covering up with a blanket or something.

~Leash

dwightshrutefan

If i was draining the main vain in the bathroom and a lady walked in, I'd be like: GET THE *&%^ out of here! Then go tell a cast member, beacuse im sure sexual harassment charges could come of the situation,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom