Did I deserve to get yelled at?

NelleBelle

View attachment 238603
View attachment 238596 Enchanted Tales with Belle picture from Disney website.

Someone should tell these guys that this experience wasn't designed for them and that they're in the wrong place!
adultswithbelle.png

danyoung56

View attachment 238603

Someone should tell these guys that this experience wasn't designed for them and that they're in the wrong place!
View attachment 238606

Wait a sec. I went to this show at 58. Now, I wasn't up there in line looking to play a character or get a hug, but I did see the show. And the OP and his party had every right to see it as well.

Tick Tock

Before this discussion gets any more off the hinges than it already is, may I point out the irony that the individual here was scolded for making a remark about breaking & entering, when the mother who provided said scolding was taking her child to an attraction based on a story which had most of it's major plot points derive from breaking & entering?
belle001.jpg

maurice001.jpg

maurice1.jpg

tumblr_n5hsnyI4KJ1s2wio8o1_400.gif

If his comments were so offensive to her & her child's experience, she'd better steer clear of the movie(s) themselves.

Ralphlaw

I see both sides. On your side, you're enjoying the parks, doing something a little childish but not hurting anyone. On her side, she sees a bunch of teenage boys potentially ruining her little girl's magic time with Belle.

Early 80s, a bunch of us (about 15 of us, actually) were out of town at a High School band competition. We decided to stroll around the downtown during a break. One place we stopped at was a furniture store, and all 15 of us had kind of taken over the store. We wandered around and made funny remarks like, "I would prefer this in a green pattern" when the owner of the store stepped away from a genuine customer and said politely but firmly that, he "couldn't handle all of us in the store." We left, and didn't think anything of it. Yet I still remember it 35 years later.

Hmm . . . Just one of those things. The Moral: Don't do anything that might be construed as ruining the magic for the little kids. A lesson we could all be reminded of at 10:30 pm.

StarWarsGirl

This event was from around 3 years ago however I always have it stuck in my head and think about it from time to time.

I was with a group of friends and were were around 16 at the time. We were in line at Enchanted Tales with Belle late one night and we just got inside her cottage. My friend made a comment saying how it’s so cool to be inside her home. I then said, “Yeah I just hope her father knows we’re here or this is considered breaking and entering”.

After I said that I had a mom turn around and said that my humor was completely inappropriate for the park and I should be ashamed.

I get that we were in fantasyland but it’s 10:30 at night on a Friday and my joke had no foul language or anything. Did I deserve to get snapped at by this woman?
You weren't out of line. The woman was in thinking it was her duty to reprimand her. Believe me, as a young person, you will get older adults who think that because you're young, they can parent you (and it doesn't just happen at WDW, although it's less likely to happen when you're by yourself and carrying car keys). I was 18 when I went to WDW sans parents for the first time. I was in Dinosaur, standing in the back of the room, mouthing the words (note, no sound coming out and trying not to be obnoxious) and I had a woman turn around and instruct me to be quiet. Needless to say, I ignored her. I wasn't bothering anyone else, I was an adult on vacation without anyone else but a friend my age, and, oh SHE WASN'T MY MOTHER. I gave her a look like, "Really?" and went about my business.

Which is, quite frankly, the mature way to handle people who think that just because they are old enough to be your parents that they are your parents. Or jerks in general. Don't mouth back, no matter how tempting. Just give them "the look" and ignore them. You'll stand your ground without looking like you're immature.

FYI, the joke was funny; I probably would have laughed.

StarWarsGirl

I do expect it! And he was acting like one. And the mom who yelled figured why would a 16yo boy even be at that experience? He knows why and he got called out for it.
I'm 22. When I was 18, I went to WDW for a high school graduation trip, and my friend and I did everything, from Dumbo to Goofy's Barnstormer...were we too old for that?

For my college graduation, we went to Disneyland, and we did all the dark rides, Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan...were those also not intended for us?

My dad and I went into Turtle Talk with Crush once when I was a teen. Were we wrong to be there because it wasn't meant for us? Last I checked, Walt built Disneyland for everyone, not just for kids.

As far as with the OP getting reprimanded. she had no right to act the way she did. She gave a reprimand to a teen that was not her own. The only reason you should do that is for a safety issue. Other than that, if she was really that offended, she could have said, Hey, guys, I really don't want my kids to hear that. Would you mind?" The words please and thank you also would go a long way. I have a younger brother on the autism spectrum who will repeat everything he hears. I've seen my mom nicely turn around to others and ask them not to curse. Usually, they're very nice about it, and she's very gracious. It's a much better way to handle the situation.

FettFan

This event was from around 3 years ago however I always have it stuck in my head and think about it from time to time.

I was with a group of friends and were were around 16 at the time. We were in line at Enchanted Tales with Belle late one night and we just got inside her cottage. My friend made a comment saying how it’s so cool to be inside her home. I then said, “Yeah I just hope her father knows we’re here or this is considered breaking and entering”.

After I said that I had a mom turn around and said that my humor was completely inappropriate for the park and I should be ashamed.

I get that we were in fantasyland but it’s 10:30 at night on a Friday and my joke had no foul language or anything. Did I deserve to get snapped at by this woman?

Sounds like you may have just met the elusive @KATIEBUG101. :D

NelleBelle

I'm 22. When I was 18, I went to WDW for a high school graduation trip, and my friend and I did everything, from Dumbo to Goofy's Barnstormer...were we too old for that?

For my college graduation, we went to Disneyland, and we did all the dark rides, Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan...were those also not intended for us?

My dad and I went into Turtle Talk with Crush once when I was a teen. Were we wrong to be there because it wasn't meant for us? Last I checked, Walt built Disneyland for everyone, not just for kids.

As far as with the OP getting reprimanded. she had no right to act the way she did. She gave a reprimand to a teen that was not her own. The only reason you should do that is for a safety issue. Other than that, if she was really that offended, she could have said, Hey, guys, I really don't want my kids to hear that. Would you mind?" The words please and thank you also would go a long way. I have a younger brother on the autism spectrum who will repeat everything he hears. I've seen my mom nicely turn around to others and ask them not to curse. Usually, they're very nice about it, and she's very gracious. It's a much better way to handle the situation.

Couldn't agree more!

I'll just add that if certain individuals have an issue with people attending events/experiences that aren't intended for the "appropriate" ages, they definitely should NOT take a Disney cruise or they will be in for a very rude awakening. Adults, sans kids, wait in lines for pictures with characters and to get items autographed. On one cruise, my kids didn't want to go with me to meet any of the characters so I went alone and had my pictures taken *gasp*! Adults play mini-golf, watch attend Princess Tea, dress up as pirates, and the worst offense, they take these cruises often without children!!

That particular attitude is honestly one of the most anti-Disney things I've read in a long time....sad.

ColinP29

Ah, the sourpuss brigade found its way to this thread.

Personally, what I find offensive are people harassing a sixteen year old boy. Who does this woman thinks she is to berate this group of kids?

You do not need to be a five year old girl or her warrior-parent to be allowed into a Disney attraction. And every audience member has a right to enjoy an attraction in his or her way without harassment from others as long as it doesn't disturb normal enjoyment of other guests.

His profile says he is 32. So maybe you should be asking why a 29 year old decided to act 16 and hang about with teenagers at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom