DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe because when Universal takes away a classic the replacement is almost always as good or even better than what it replaced?
View attachment 85862
You're conveniently ignoring all the classics Disney has taken away that were replaced by something not as good or just plain mediocre. Horizons, original Imagination, Snow White, etc. But no let's ignore all that because Disney is awesome and Universal sucks. The only thing worth getting excited about at Disney right now is Avatar, partially because it's bringing the first new E Ticket to WDW in 11 years. Frozen? Please. All it is is the absolute cheapest way to bring it to WDW shoved in an area it doesn't belong in. How I wish they would bring us something on the level of what's rumored for Tokyo. You'll probably love it though because when it comes to Disney, View attachment 85863

I'll save the op some typing....

"If you hate Disney so much why are you even on these board?" ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disneyworld is also much larger and harder to maintain and manage than Universal Orlando.

Disneyworld also has much higher revenue then Universal Orlando, so Disney should have the money needed to maintain things. If they are unable to properly maintain what they have built they either are doing something wrong, or they have built to much.

Mike S

Disneyworld also has much higher revenue then Universal Orlando, so Disney should have the money needed to maintain things. If they are unable to properly maintain what they have built they either are doing something wrong, or they have built to much.
I say it's the former rather than the latter. I doubt the addition of Animal Kingdom and the hotels added since were the straw that broke the camels back.

BrerJon

You're conveniently ignoring all the classics Disney has taken away that were replaced by something not as good or just plain mediocre. Horizons, original Imagination, Snow White, etc. But no let's ignore all that because Disney is awesome and Universal sucks. And you say we have "a weird freaky double standard" :rolleyes: The only thing worth getting excited about at Disney right now is Avatar, partially because it's bringing the first new E Ticket to WDW in 11 years. Frozen? Please. All it is is the absolute cheapest way to bring it to WDW shoved in an area it doesn't belong in. How I wish they would bring us something on the level of what's rumored for Tokyo. You'll probably love it though because when it comes to Disney

Wow Mike, tell us what you really think! I'm getting the vibe that someone's had it up to here with pixie-dusting!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The key is TWDC management does not care about the condition of WDW and would rather just bank the money to fund other parts of TWDC they DO care about.

AndyMagic

Disneyworld is also much larger and harder to maintain and manage than Universal Orlando.

This is one of the first things that you've said around here that is true. It is in fact larger and harder to maintain. The much higher revenue generated by the resort should offset that problem. Iger would prefer that revenue be used to offset the massive amount of money he enjoys spending on acquiring new IP, which ironically makes Disney an even bigger, bloated organization. This then makes the parks less and less of a priority.

That said, there IS a major design flaw in the way Disney World was built over the years. I think 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, the hotels, and The Disney Mall (or whatever they're calling Downtown Disney these days) would be much easier to maintain had they been built closer together instead of dotted out across the property like those dreadful suburban gated communities that were all the rage a few decades ago. The amount of land Disney had to work with was both a blessing and a curse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Transformers was down an ally in which for alot of construction they blocked the ally off . So guests weren't disturbed by the construction.

For both Soaring and Toy story they are the main attractions at both of those parks. They conistantly have the longest lines in the park.

With epoct I guess you could close soaring and people will still have test track and the countries but *** are you going to do at Hollywood studios ? Star Wars is at best a 15 minute wait . Tower of terror and rocking roller coster both have worse height restrictions and are perhaps a 20-30 minute wait .

Its much easier to simply close down a space and build something new than it is to build an expansion onto something that has to operate day in and day out.

Tf is surrounded by guest areas... The alley is just the street between buildings. Its still an island surrounded by open guest areas. I have no idea what you are trying to counter with. Contrast that with soarin and tsmm which both are adjacent to backstage. Both will largely be built without impacting the existing rides.

SJN1279

Maybe because when Universal takes away a classic the replacement is almost always as good or even better than what it replaced?
]

King Kong and Jaws were unique family attractions for all ages and sizes, replaced by coasters with height and weight limits. Better is a relative term.

Universal also rid themselves of their 3 of their biggest home grown IPs in King Kong, Jaws, and Back to the Future. I'm happy that Kong is coming back, but the lack of love for Jaws and Back to the Future is sad.

Universal really needs a great movie ride!

Mike S

King Kong and Jaws were unique family attractions for all ages and sizes, replaced by coasters with height and weight limits. Better is a relative term.

Universal also rid themselves of their 3 of their biggest home grown IPs in King Kong, Jaws, and Back to the Future. I'm happy that Kong is coming back, but the lack of love for Jaws and Back to the Future is sad.

The new King Kong won't have height restrictions either but one could argue that even without a height limit the old King Kong and Jaws were still a bit intense for younger kids even though they weren't restricted from going on. I have actually thought about a Universal Great Movie Ride before but if they did it it would really come off as a copy of Disney even though it would be cool.

AndyMagic

Tf is surrounded by guest areas... The alley is just the street between buildings. Its still an island surrounded by open guest areas. I have no idea what you are trying to counter with. Contrast that with soarin and tsmm which both are adjacent to backstage. Both will largely be built without impacting the existing rides.

Indeed. The timeline differences between Transformers and these two ride expansions comes down to money and a general lack of efficiency that Disney has demonstrated with all projects lately. It has nothing to do with disturbing guests.

BrerJon

Replacing Kongfrontation wasn't a great move, as in those days was Universal's Horizons in my view, but I can see the argument that plenty of people were attracted to go on The Mummy who weren't that interested in Kong.

Jaws was replaced by a huge interactive area giving families with even the smallest kids more hours of fun than Jaws ever did, *and* added a rollercoaster, so few would say that wasn't better - and I speak as one of the biggest Jaws fans out there, I loved that ride, and I'm no great Harry Potter fan, but objectively there's no question it's a trade-up.

Definitely time for more Back to the Future though, those movies have stood the test of time (ironically) way more than anything else from that era.

Mike S

Replacing Kong wasn't a great move, as in those days was Universal's Horizons in my view, but I can see the argument that plenty of people were attracted to go on The Mummy who weren't that interested in Kong.

Jaws was replaced by a huge interactive area giving families with even the smallest kids more hours of fun than Jaws ever did, *and* added a rollercoaster, so few would say that wasnt' better - and I speak as one of the biggest Jaws fans out there, I loved that ride, and I'm no great Harry Potter fan, but objectively there's no question it's a trade-up.
Also if Jaws was a family E Ticket, the Hogwarts Express more than fills that gap.

AndyMagic

Also if Jaws was a family E Ticket, the Hogwarts Express more than fills that gap.

I would argue Jaws was less of a family attraction than Escape from Gringotts as well despite the height restriction. Jaws was TERRIFYING when I was a child. It involved a shark eating people, violently attacking your boat and eventually being blown-up in front your eyes complete with blood in the water and a charred carcass. I ADORED Jaws and was sad to see it go but it wasn't exactly a family ride either.

Mike S

I would argue Jaws was less of a family attraction than Escape from Gringotts as well despite the height restriction. Jaws was TERRIFYING when I was a child. It involved a shark eating people, violently attacking your boat and eventually being blown-up in front your eyes complete with blood in the water and a charred carcass. I ADORED Jaws and was sad to see it go but it wasn't exactly a family ride either.
That's why I said if it was a family E Ticket ;) As you can see I brought up the same point you did of Jaws and even King Kong being intense for younger kids in a previous post on this very page.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wasn't it GREAT, I liked how UNI sent it off with its last day being for former skippers that was a really nice gesture on UNI's part. But Gringotts is a BETTER attraction so Jaws is not missed as much

The problem with Disney is they have replaced classic and beloved rides with lesser experiences which objectively are not as good as what they replaced. 7DMT is nowhere near as immersive as Snow White, Imagination .... MS should have been added to a updated Horizons

RSoxNo1

This project right here is essentially everything that is wrong with Disney's current business model. It has a little bit of every stupid decision they've made over the last 8 years all wrapped into one. Let me see if I can tick off all the WDW management tropes that this expansion contains:
  • It is a solution to the wrong problem (The problem isn't individual ride capacity, it's a lack of attractions)
  • It is using up valuable resources and real estate
  • It is to be built at a glacial pace
  • It was announced too early for no discernible reason
  • It is a completely foolish waste of money
  • It will not increase attendance, guest spending, or length of stay at the park
  • It provides no marketable addition to the park and no new incentive to take a trip to the resort
I think that pretty much covers it. Did I miss anything?
It is a solution to a real problem. Two underbuilt rides are having capacity increases. The issue is that both parks also need more rides. Say for example that you have a broken TV and a broken roof. This is a new TV. It's something that's needed, it's just not the most important thing that's needed.

RSoxNo1

I would argue that more rides equals more people in said rides, and that equals less people waiting for TSMM, making wait times better. Agree to disagree I guess.

Why? Because you don't have one? Well I do so the argument isn't tired for me because its the truth. I'm not saying if they built a couple more rides all of a sudden TSMM would be a walk on. My argument was that if Disney had expanded to meet capacity with new attractions like they SHOULD have, TSMM might not be as crazy.
Adding more rides should increase capacity. More people in a park that is already unable to satisfy a significant portion of guests that want to ride TSMM is still a problem. The thought process of improving Star Tours was that it would help alleviate times at TSMM, it didn't help at all.

The park needs more rides. Nobody is doubting that. However, that doesn't mean that Toy Story Mania doesn't also need additional capacity. Considering what is in the works for DHS, I'm far more worried about the decisions being made at Epcot than I am at Holywood Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom