DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

mp2bill

I could wade through 90 pages of comments to find the answer...but I'm not going to. Is it safe to assume that the construction of the 3rd track won't affect the other two tracks and they'll operate normally while construction is going on?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I could wade through 90 pages of comments to find the answer...but I'm not going to. Is it safe to assume that the construction of the 3rd track won't affect the other two tracks and they'll operate normally while construction is going on?

I would think that would be the case for the majority of the construction time, but depending on what they are going to do with the queue there may have to be some down time to finish things up.

BrerJon

Sorry, you are going to have to leave because this is the Fastpass+ only thread. Please return to the start of the thread and scan your Magicband. ;)

And if that fails join the Guest Relations thread where there are several hundred pages you have to read before your magical issue can be resolved.

BrerJon

Disney's construction crew must be made up of turtles. Or Doozers, as I've mentioned before.

Things that took less time to build:
King Kong, Transformers, Diagon Alley

Things that only took a third longer to build the entire thing:
EPCOT Center
Disney-MGM Studios

Things that only took twice as long:
The whole of Magic Kingdom, Bay Lake and the monorail resorts

So if half a ride takes two years, and by many people's accounts we're getting three Toy Story rides and two Star Wars, that means the DHS makeover will be ready by about 2025. Can't wait!

gljvd

EPCOT Center
Disney-MGM Studios

So if half a ride takes two years, and by many people's accounts we're getting three Toy Story rides and two Star Wars, that means the DHS makeover will be ready by about 2025. Can't wait!

That isn't very fair. Epcot and MGM wouldn't have to worry about disturbing guests the same with magic kingdom , bay lake , monorail resorts.

Transformers is its own building and thus wouldn't affect a ride. Diagon alley also had its own space to be made.

When adding the third track they have to work with a ride that is actively used. Infact its the most popular ride in the park

Goofyernmost

if they had the hardware on site it might not take so long, but if you have to order all the cars, the track and all of that still, i could see it taking 40 forevers on the slow boat from china, and having to sit at customs.
Wait... I thought that all construction was done by little Pixie's by sprinkling Pixie Dust on everything and making it magically appear. Do you mean that they actually have to build the stuff to put in those rides and they aren't just illusion. They ought to go with illusion because that would be much, much faster.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Well it looks like this expansion, so far that we know, may be what Disney's Hollywood Studios gets for the 45th anniversary.
Magic Kingdom will get the rumored replacement for Wishes, Epcot will get the new theatre for Soarin, and Animal Kingdom will get the Rivers of Light.

Mike S

That isn't very fair. Epcot and MGM wouldn't have to worry about disturbing guests the same with magic kingdom , bay lake , monorail resorts.

Transformers is its own building and thus wouldn't affect a ride. Diagon alley also had its own space to be made.

When adding the third track they have to work with a ride that is actively used. Infact its the most popular ride in the park
I believe some people have speculated that the new track won't actually connect to the existing ones. If that's true then there really is no reason for it to take so long.

doctornick

I believe some people have speculated that the new track won't actually connect to the existing ones. If that's true then there really is no reason for it to take so long.

Exactly. The only connection will need to be with the queue. So, basically, they need to re-route the queue a bit (probably switching it around Potato Head so it goes the other direction in front of him to lead to the new building) and breaking a hole in the wall between the current ride and Soundstage 1. That will be some downtime for the ride, but honestly shouldn't be long.

But building the new track itself? The building already exists so it's just a matter of laying tracks and putting up the screens and decor. It's all backstage and can be accessed from backstage without going through guest areas (presumable could be worked on all day). It's not even a complicated ride and they've built it multiple times in different locations already. If work has already started, I would have expected it to be ready by the end of 2015. Late 2016 seems completely unjustifiable, especially with all the capacity issues at DHS.

The comparisons to Transformers are apt. There is just no excuse for this project to take longer than a year.

dhall

EPCOT Center
Disney-MGM Studios

It's 21st century business methods: they're outsourcing it to the crews building Shanghai Disneyland. Having learned from that, they've built time for the rebuild right into the delivery schedule.

Figment2005

Am I the only one doing the math and seeing that late 2016 is just over a year and not the inflated 2 years people are throwing out? A year and a half at most.

flynnibus

Premium Member

So what's your excuse for Soarin' then?
Transformers was still right in the MIDDLE of the park

I still have to think the new Toy Story track will be its own load and unload.. so won't have as much as a disruption as you paint.

maxairmike

Am I the only one doing the math and seeing that late 2016 is just over a year and not the inflated 2 years people are throwing out? A year and a half at most.

I'm expecting it to open no earlier than November 1 when they say "late 2016," but we also know that prep work started before the new year after the removal of the Frozen stuff from Stage 1. So yeah, in total about 2 years to get one track of a ride they've built 3 times now. That's nothing short of ridiculous.

Figment2005

I'm expecting it to open no earlier than November 1 when they say "late 2016," but we also know that prep work started before the new year after the removal of the Frozen stuff from Stage 1. So yeah, in total about 2 years to get one track of a ride they've built 3 times now. That's nothing short of ridiculous.
Okay, I'm not building it so I'm not going to pitch a fit. It will be done when it's done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom