DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

prfctlyximprct

I think the normal moderator at the Disney blog is on vacation. One post that got through -

"Great news! So pumped about a 3rd Toy Story track!!! I’ll take this over a new attraction any day, to be honest. Besides, adding a brand new attraction would prevent us from finishing everything at Hollywood Studios in half a day."

So which one of you is Michael? LOL

Omg the blog is hysterical!! I've never seen so many sarcastic obnoxious comments!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I hope they waste money on third tracks, build new attractions, and have short wait times which don't require the third track to be used, and then realize how to run a theme park.

Is that bitter?
Of course it's bitter. Might be deserved, but it's still bitter.

In all honesty, though, I find it hard to be bitter about more capacity, even though I'd prefer something new. If it turns out thatTSMM doesn't draw in the crowds after other attractions are added to DHS, the existence of the unused capacity will make it more likely that the attraction will be updated with new games. The only downside is if you think that in the absence of the third track, they'd have spent the money and used the space on something else. Recent history says no.

RSoxNo1

Also no fastpass. 30 minutes at Disneyland.
People keep saying this and I've rarely found it to be true. I almost always see 40-60 minute waits for Toy Story in DCA. Keep in mind that park has a much better attraction lineup, gets less people and the ride doesn't have Fastpass there. It's also located at the very back of that park. Adding the third track is absolutely needed in Florida. Even with the potential of 7 rides coming in 5 years to that park, the added capacity is needed. Disney should not be building D/E ticket attractions with less than 1500 guest per hour capacities in Florida. The attraction lineup argument is B.S. The Magic Kingdom has the best lineup of the Florida parks, yet Peter Pan's Flight runs into similar issues as Toy Story Mania. It's because the capacity is too low relative to demand.

This isn't a bad thing. This isn't an either/or scenario with expanding the attraction lineup. This is just something else that will improve that park.

Mike S

People keep saying this and I've rarely found it to be true. I almost always see 40-60 minute waits for Toy Story in DCA. Keep in mind that park has a much better attraction lineup, gets less people and the ride doesn't have Fastpass there. It's also located at the very back of that park. Adding the third track is absolutely needed in Florida. Even with the potential of 7 rides coming in 5 years to that park, the added capacity is needed. Disney should not be building D/E ticket attractions with less than 1500 guest per hour capacities in Florida. The attraction lineup argument is B.S. The Magic Kingdom has the best lineup of the Florida parks, yet Peter Pan's Flight runs into similar issues as Toy Story Mania. It's because the capacity is too low relative to demand.

This isn't a bad thing. This isn't an either/or scenario with expanding the attraction lineup. This is just something else that will improve that park.
It happened for me.
image.jpg

wdwfan757

While I certainly agree that HS needs more things to do, I think the 3rd track is the right move for the moment. I don't think Mater's junkyard jamboree is the reason DCA's TSM has shorter lines. You're certainly not "losing" anything but adding capacity to TSM. I know that to a lot of people, it's just a video game, but it's a lot more approachable than setting in your living room with your entire family with 3d glasses and joysticks all over the living room. I don't think my 68 year old dad and I are going to play Wii U over christmas, but our TSM battles are legendary.

I also think we have to be weary about what's an E-ticket these days in terms of the Disney sphere of things. The rides that Universal builds that we consider E-tickets aren't fun for the whole family, which is the problem HS already has. HS is a lot like AK in the sense that it has 1 E-Ticket (ToT/Everest) and 1 D-Ticket (RnR/Dinosaur) that people in the average travel party don't want to ride. If you're not a show person, then the rest of HS is pretty unappealing to you. If you're not an animal person, then the rest of AK is pretty unappealing to you.

That doesn't mean you just start junking up the park with spinners and kiddie rides. I liked mater's junkyard jamboree just fine, but in terms of adapting Toy Story Playland, I see big problems. RC Racer's visual impact on DHS would be just like sticking a giant blue hat on main street. No one over the age of 5 wants anything to do with ZigZag spin. (Altough, come to think of it, DLR has a couple of these little up and down rides for tykes. WDW doesn't have any). Regardless, it's not going to do anything about wait times at the current headliners. The vistas from parachute drop is appealing, but again, you have the aesthetics issue and whole "people afraid of heights" problem. What makes TSM great is that it eats entire travel parties. Nobody has a problem getting on TSM the same way nobody has a problem getting on a dark ride. that's why 7DMT is way more popular than it should be for a kid-coaster/dark ride hybrid that's way too short.

Uni is great, but WDW can't go the Universal route and just build fantastically advanced rides that are overly intense. They also shouldn't just junk up the park with primeval whirls and ZigZag, etc. just for the sake of eating volume. Get Star Wars right and, more importantly, they should make a huge investment in the show quality there. I have a friend who is so anti-ride pro-show that she can spend sun up to sun down at HS multiple times a year. I don't get it. But having seen Aladdin at DCA, it makes no sense that DHS can't make it as a theater park by upping the quality of the shows.

You have Little Mermaid, Indy, BatB, LMA, and a dark Idol buiding that could all be turned into improved, higher quality productions without you having to build much of anything. They'll eat more capacity than a ride ever could and it would give DHS a reason for standing alone. Turning DHS into DCA or MK isn't the only answer. The best show at WDW shouldn't be at Animal Kingdom

Cousin Huet

I agree......the short wait times at DCA are a fantasy. We go quite often and a hour is what we expect there......there have been a few times where it dipped at a point here and there but it does not consistently operate at these low wait times.

wdwfan4ver

I am shocked how long the third track is going to take. It does tell me when Disney is going to close up LMA or Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular if Disney has plans of doing so.

My only concern is would this would affect replacing backlot tour with new attractions in terms of amount of time it is going to take.

michael.fumc

I hope that this does bring wait times down, this attraction has never really done all it could do. You know they have holiday and seasonal changes to the ride since it is all screens, but I bet they have held back because why put more demand on the ride. Just my guess

suburbianj

Late 2016????they already have the technology,building is already up so its just basically a fitting out???? Typical Disney!!!!!no wonder universal are catching up!they had the whole transformers building up and ride ready in eleven blinking months!!!!says it all really! :s

Mike S

Late 2016????they already have the technology,building is already up so its just basically a fitting out???? Typical Disney!!!!!no wonder universal are catching up!they had the whole transformers building up and ride ready in eleven blinking months!!!!says it all really! :s
Wasn't it nine? And yes it really is a problem. For some reason they go incredibly slow.

Brer Panther

When I first heard the news, I WAS kind of disappointed that they weren't using the space for a new ride... PIXAR Place needs at least THREE...

But if it means shorter lines for the ride, I'm all for it!

dstrawn9889

if they had the hardware on site it might not take so long, but if you have to order all the cars, the track and all of that still, i could see it taking 40 forevers on the slow boat from china, and having to sit at customs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom