DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

gonnichi

Have any of the insiders here seen any plans yet? Just wondering how the Layout of DHS will change. Will there be more dead end streets for Pixar land and Star Wars land like down Sunset Bld? or will the park be easier to navigate in once these additions are complete?

DallasDis

Not necessarily, but it's not really relevant to what is being discussed here since they clearly aren't going to build a clone of Carsland in Soundstage 1.
Not a clone, but with discussion of Carland possibly coming to the studios and the issue with rain in FL - what are the possibilities of SS1 being used to house an indoor dark-ride style version of the ride?

If the expansion of Pixar goes back towards former BLT that location may work.

kagacins

Permit filed today for "Project 3 - DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation", contractor is Whiting Turner, expiration is 9/30/2016.

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagl....pdf?id=DOC1544S16913.A0&parent=DOC1544S16913

The "Project 3" is interesting because the Frozen re-do of Maelstrom was labeled "Project 6".
I just want to say thanks, @danlb_2000. You're willingness to keep up with the permits in your free time has provided endless hours of interesting reading, excitement, and occasional disappointment. It's people like you that make the internet go 'round, and I sincerely appreciate it.

Big Bad Wolf

This is directed to anyone who knows, not only at drew. But can you or any other insiders (such as @Lee @marni1971 @WDW1974 etc) tell us how safe the Great Movie Ride and Osborne Lights are in future plans for the park? I would assume Tower of Terror probably isn't going anywhere, but i'm hoping there's a future for GMR and the lights. Any reason to be worried? I'm a huge fan of both attractions. There was some worry a year or two ago that the Osborne Lights would either be leaving entirely or moved to a new home somewhere around WDW.

I'd hate to lose another large scale ride with the elaborate sets and lots of animatronic figures like GMR. There are far too few of those left, and practically none of them being built anymore by anyone, perhaps ever again (Disney or Universal). I'd also hate to see an acceleration of removing Christmas decorations.
GMR will be updated....Osborne Lights are limited in years.

Big Bad Wolf

What if Soundstage 1 was the main public area they were seen around, but they actually spent the day touring the areas that used to be on the backlot tour but have long since passed out of use. Maybe most of what they were looking at was offstage, which would support the idea of a big expansion.

They probably were just in the right area to pop onstage to take a look - most guests don't seem to have noticed them anyway.

I'm starting to think Carsland - if Lasseter's involved, and a few months ago WDW hired the head project manager /creative exec of Carsland didn't they?
I'm thinking you are right on it.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
GMR will be updated....Osborne Lights are limited in years.
I'm thinking you are right on it.

Posting again for good measure.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ywood-studios-yep.888644/page-31#post-6333897

It would seem as if we have another case of a member who "wants to play with the big bois" by reading up on the rumors here from the past year+.

All rumors here....please close this forum. It isn't going to happen. Disney will not change Maelstrom.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frozen-ride-replacing-maelstrom.878451/page-217#post-6311140

Then

By closing.....you mean a refurbishment. You have to agree the ride is worn out and the the movie portion needs updating. Sure it might have a touch of Frozen in the new update, but nothing to get alarmed about. It needs a fresh look and it will only bring in the guests. The face characters are planning to return once the update has been completed.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/frozen-ride-replacing-maelstrom.878451/page-217#post-6312266

Big Bad Wolf

What if Soundstage 1 was the main public area they were seen around, but they actually spent the day touring the areas that used to be on the backlot tour but have long since passed out of use. Maybe most of what they were looking at was offstage, which would support the idea of a big expansion.

They probably were just in the right area to pop onstage to take a look - most guests don't seem to have noticed them anyway.

I'm starting to think Carsland - if Lasseter's involved, and a few months ago WDW hired the head project manager /creative exec of Carsland didn't they?
She has been in Florida for approximately a year.

misterID

Some things: You can approach and talk to Imagineers in the park without anyone ushering you away. There were many walking (some rushing) around DHS near BLT on my trip. ;)

And if you do see Stagggs, I don't think it's very smart to demand answers or berate him. I would totally get blitzed with Lassetter.

Jim Hill does have sources. What they are, how strong, I have no idea. But it is obvious he has knowledge. From what I gather it's nothing like what it was, but I doubt he makes things up, more like he's given info that's blue sky or something someone wants out.

There's no way DHS will get Carsland without RSR...

Phil12

I'd also like to see Luxo the lamp back at Pixar Place. He was awesome...
Don't think you'll ever see Luxo again. Disney (Pixar) was sued by Luxo back in 2006 over a toy Luxo lamp that Disney was marketing. The case was settled in 2009 and the settlement was private (will not be revealed to the public). It's pretty clear that part of that settlement most likely included removing that Luxo lamp from DHS: http://tmazzer1.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/ethicallegal-issues-luxo-as-v-walt-disney/

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
To much matinenace. Luxor was broken far more than working. It was an awesome sight!
Or it was this:
Don't think you'll ever see Luxo again. Disney (Pixar) was sued by Luxo back in 2006 over a toy Luxo lamp that Disney was marketing. The case was settled in 2009 and the settlement was private (will not be revealed to the public). It's pretty clear that part of that settlement most likely included removing that Luxo lamp from DHS: http://tmazzer1.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/ethicallegal-issues-luxo-as-v-walt-disney/

misterID

That is true but something like RSR and maybe even Ratatouille should stay where they are. RSR is the main draw to DCA right now. If it came to WDW that's potential visitors to Disneyland that are lost. Disney spent a lot redoing DCA, they deserve to keep their main attraction unique. As for Ratatouille I heard someone say a while ago that a lot more people go to WDW than to DLP even though DLP would be closer to them. Ratatouille is a great excuse to make them interested in making that trip to DLP. If it was at WDW that interest would be gone.
DLR will be getting A LOT of stuff if the not so far away future that we wont't get (they got INDY and we didn't, I have NO sympathy for them losing an "exclusive"!). And as far as I know, JL wanted it cloned to many Disney parks eventually anyway.

And considering the shape DHS is in... we really shouldn't be too picky with what we're getting. I'm happy to say, "Thank you." And murmer under my breath, "it's about **** time."

Big Bad Wolf

Have any of the insiders here seen any plans yet? Just wondering how the Layout of DHS will change. Will there be more dead end streets for Pixar land and Star Wars land like down Sunset Bld? or will the park be easier to navigate in once these additions are complete?
Navigation will be much easier and the entrances into the new lands will be much better. Be patient. Great things are on the way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom