DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Goofyernmost

Well I think the last time any company did anything for pure customer satisfaction was when Walt was still alive.
Hold on there Skippy. Walt never purposely did anything for pure customer satisfaction. It had to match what he considered customer satisfaction. He was the innovator. He was the one that created things that up until that point, no one knew that they wanted. He was probably the first one to say... "If I build it, they will come." No matter what it was or whether the outside world thought it was a good idea or not.

The problem with the current Disney Company is that all those top guys think that they are Walt Disney. Unfortunately for us, they are not.

Last edited:

misterID

Hold on there Skippy. Walt never purposely did anything for pure customer satisfaction. It had to match what he considered customer satisfaction. He was the innovator. He was the one that created things that up until that point, no one knew that they wanted. He was probably the first on to say... "If I build it, they will come." No matter what it was or whether the outside world thought it was a good idea or not.

The problem with the current Disney Company is that all those top guys think that they are Walt Disney. Unfortunately for us, they are not.
I don't think they respect Walt enough to think they're his second coming. From what I understand, they're pretty critical of him and how he ran the parks.

tl77

You guys, and I say this with lots of love, have gotta stop asking the same **** questions over and over so threads that should have 10 pages have 119.

Common sense would tell anyone that getting all those powers together out in the open wasn't so fanbois could take Twitpics with John Lasseter at the Frozen Sing A Long or to discuss plans for expanding one of the most overrated WDW attractions.

But since no one here knows exactly what was discussed today, you aren't going to get more than that no matter how many folks ask the question and how they word the same question.

These are the same people who decided 2 Dumbos are better than 1

Next Big Thing

Except you don't have to worry about the queue, the Mr. Potato animatronic or the ADA compliance on the new track. To me, it looks like the simplest solution is to just build a 3rd track in Soundstage 1.
LOL. Simplest solution.

It's a waste of a building where they could put an attraction, it would be incredibly difficult to connect/change everything, it would cost a good amount of money for the new track AND it's not marketable.

A new ride in SS1 is the best solution to everything. It will slightly relieve TSMM and it's marketable. More bang for the buck, which is what TDO wants. It also helps out a struggling park.

Oh, and a 3rd TSMM track is completely different than a 3rd Soarin' track just to beat you to that. Soarin' is much easier to build and connect and it will eat more people, thus relieving the ride a lot more than a 3rd TSMM track would.

Oh, and there's a new Soarin' film on the way, so there's the marketable part too.

YodaMan

LOL. Simplest solution.

It's a waste of a building where they could put an attraction, it would be incredibly difficult to connect/change everything, it would cost a good amount of money for the new track AND it's not marketable.

A new ride in SS1 is the best solution to everything. It will slightly relieve TSMM and it's marketable. More bang for the buck, which is what TDO wants. It also helps out a struggling park.

Oh, and a 3rd TSMM track is completely different than a 3rd Soarin' track just to beat you to that. Soarin' is much easier to build and connect and it will eat more people, thus relieving the ride a lot more than a 3rd TSMM track would.

Oh, and there's a new Soarin' film on the way, so there's the marketable part too.

Regardless of the argument about whether a 3rd track adds capacity or not, it could still add marketability. If they added new games or holiday overlays or found a way to make the games random, Disney could easily market that just as much as a new Soarin film.

misterID

Regardless of the argument about whether a 3rd track adds capacity or not, it could still add marketability. If they added new games or holiday overlays or found a way to make the games random, Disney could easily market that just as much as a new Soarin film.
I don't see it trumping a new Soarin film. People still go absolutely ga-ga over Soarin.

Goofyernmost

I don't think they respect Walt enough to think they're his second coming. From what I understand, they're pretty critical of him and how he ran the parks.
You are correct, they think of themselves as better, smarter and more savvy then Walt Disney was. If they come up with anything new and innovative then they feel that they are channeling him directly, except that they are more clever and better businessmen in their minds.

YodaMan

I don't see it trumping a new Soarin film. People still go absolutely ga-ga over Soarin.

To be fair, I didn't mention anything about trumping it. The argument was just over whether or not it was marketable. Even though I'd rather see something new, Disney could easily market with "hey, one of the most popular rides at the parks for families actually has increased capacity, so you can actually ride more frequently and get a different game each time."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
LOL. Simplest solution.

There is no lack of space for new rides. They can very easily add a 3rd track to TSMM and a new ride or 3 in the huge area behind TSMM/SS1 that currently houses wardrobe and props. There is also a large tram parking area back there and another parking lot that could be used. Plus the water tank/prop wharehouse/entrance to BLT. I'm not sure why there seems to be a hard stand that it's either a 3rd track or a new ride. IMHO if they build out DHS how we all hope they will with SW Land the park is going to be packed with people. They will need the extra capacity for TSMM. I have heard all of the arguments about new rides reducing demand, but the simple fact remains that TSMM and Soarin present a problem for FP+ since supply is less than current demand. Adding capacity to the rides will resolve that problem.

Next Big Thing

There is no lack of space for new rides. They can very easily add a 3rd track to TSMM and a new ride or 3 in the huge area behind TSMM/SS1 that currently houses wardrobe and props. There is also a large tram parking area back there and another parking lot that could be used. Plus the water tank/prop wharehouse/entrance to BLT. I'm not sure why there seems to be a hard stand that it's either a 3rd track or a new ride. IMHO if they build out DHS how we all hope they will with SW Land the park is going to be packed with people. They will need the extra capacity for TSMM. I have heard all of the arguments about new rides reducing demand, but the simple fact remains that TSMM and Soarin present a problem for FP+ since supply is less than current demand. Adding capacity to the rides will resolve that problem.
Oh I know there's a whole bunch of space back there, but is Lasseter and all of them really going to come down because they are putting in a 3rd TSMM track? I highly doubt it.

misterID

To be fair, I didn't mention anything about trumping it. The argument was just over whether or not it was marketable. Even though I'd rather see something new, Disney could easily market with "hey, one of the most popular rides at the parks for families actually has increased capacity, so you can actually ride more frequently and get a different game each time."
Yeah, I wasn't trying to run you down or anything, but Soarin is just a whole other beast with the fan community. And marketing a new version of the ride, basically a new ride, with new tech would be more profitable, imo, than adding more capacity or a Holiday overlay to TSMM. Imagine the commercials, side by side, and guess which one would get more attention and excitement. Plussing TSMM would excite some kids and folks, though.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh I know there's a whole bunch of space back there, but is Lasseter and all of them really going to come down because they are putting in a 3rd TSMM track? I highly doubt it.
You are missing my point. If this is a larger project they could have several new Pixar rides plus the expanded TSMM, plus some M&G areas, plus shops and restaurants. He would come to look at the whole project not just the extra track at TSMM. FLE added an extra spinner to Dumbo but also had several new rides and a restaurant. Adding the new rides didn't prevent them from doubling down on Dumbo.

Unless I missed something was there any confirmation that this crew only looked at SS1?

Fox&Hound

Interesting thought because I was just thinking the same thing. While I'd love to see this somewhat mythical Monsters Inc Door Coaster, I have doubts that's what this will be. Seems a bit ambitious and...maybe I'm wrong, but...I'm not sure if any meaningful coaster ride could vertically fit in that building. The roofline seems awful low for a coaster to me.

That led me to thinking about dark rides in that space. The Monsters Inc ride in DCA is nice and all, but hardly anything to get terribly excited about. What might be slightly more interesting is Peter Pan's Flight clone themed to Monsters Inc and with doors instead of pirate ships. And then that led me to thinking about other Pixar franchises that might fit in there and ended up with a PPF clone themed to Up with balloon-flying houses instead of pirate ships.

Don't get me wrong. I want to believe something incredibly groundbreaking is coming to DHS. I'm just not convinced it will be in that building. I expect something familiar, but perhaps themed in a new way.

I always thought an Up ride would fit best at AK given the jungle look of it.

Next Big Thing

You are missing my point. If this is a larger project they could have several new Pixar rides plus the expanded TSMM, plus some M&G areas, plus shops and restaurants. He would come to look at the whole project not just the extra track at TSMM. FLE added an extra spinner to Dumbo but also had several new rides and a restaurant. Adding the new rides didn't prevent them from doubling down on Dumbo.

Unless I missed something was there any confirmation that this crew only looked at SS1?
No, i'm not. I just think if you are going to spend the money you'd have to spend to make a 3rd track, why not just build a new ride which will eat capacity as well.

If it's a larger expansion as you say, there should be enough additional capacity that a 3rd track isn't needed.

flyerjab

I was wondering that myself. Was Martin able to see them go anywhere else other than SS1? This could add to the speculation that more is going on aside from the fact that Lasseter, Staggs and company were in DHS.

Something else I have been wondering about this is aside from Star Wars, Pixar Place and Disney Animation Studios, what other properties can fit in the new DHA? Guardians of the Galaxy? Oz? I am simply not as learned as others are on these forums.

I am really interested in the new future development/expansion of this park.

FutureCEO

Something else I have been wondering about this is aside from Star Wars, Pixar Place and Disney Animation Studios, what other properties can fit in the new DHA? Guardians of the Galaxy? Oz? I am simply not as learned as others are on these forums.

I am really interested in the new future development/expansion of this park.

I think basically any movie made by Disney can be in MGM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom