DHS ReDo (August 2014)

Magenta Panther

I know I've been branded as a Jim Hill apologist, but how does he come off as full of himself? He's one of the most self deprecating people I know.

So you "know" him? I'm not being sarcastic...I'm just curious.

To me he comes off as full of himself with the "Mind you" and "whyfor" phrases that he uses over and over in his writings. I stopped reading him years ago because of it. Horrible writer IMO.

TP2000

Does anyone else find DHS to be an incredibly frustrating park? With Broadway, film, radio and television, how is this park's potential not maximized?

They tried that once. It only lasted a couple of years. The main problem was that DHS is in Orlando, Florida.

If you are in the entertainment industry you want to be in Southern California. That's where all the executives are, all the agents are, all the other stars are, all the media is, all the work is, where all the decisions are made, and where all the action is. The only people living in Orlando, Florida are working at theme parks as ride operators or shop clerks or hotel staff, or are the shleppy middle managers wearing Dockers and an earpiece who manage them. And it's all overseen by a small gaggle of cheesy executives who didn't have a good enough resume to get a gig at the corporate office in Los Angeles or New York, so they're stuck in Orlando. But at least those execs can afford a larger McMansion in a swamp.

If you know anything about the entertainment industry you know that it's not about what you are currently doing, but about what you might be doing next. And if you are an actor stuck in Orlando, the only thing you could do next is another New Mickey Mouse Club episode or some voiceover work for the Labor Day sale at Piggly Wiggly. Orlando is career suicide.

The concept of DHS being an actual working studio was brazen to pull off once, and only Michael Eisner's ego could have attempted it. But it flopped for many valid reasons, and it won't ever be attempted again.

Last edited:

SirLink

I'm okay with all of the rumored family attractions coming as long as they build the rumored speed bike coaster. That kind of attraction has much potential

To recreate Tatooine and then stick a spinner to try and replicate Diagon Alley's success - is a failure of creativity and imagination for those family rides.

I also lol'd when he said Star Wars is the first phase of a DHS Redo ... *insert your own coffee table book joke*

Last edited:

twebber55

To recreate Tatooine and then stick a spinner to try and replicate Diagon Alley's success - is a failure of creativity and imagination for those family rides.

I also lol'd when he said Star Wars is the first phase of a DHS Redo ... *insert your own coffee table book joke*
i totally agree with your point but to me there is no way this is all they do

DisneyGentleman

I can see it now, The Emporers Silly Spin, where he is in the middle lifting you off the ground with lightning bolts. Or the grab and go Vaders Vegan Treats. So many golden opportunities for them to mess this up badly.

RSoxNo1

I feel like DHS is fishing for a mission. Removing classic movies from the GMR just makes it seem like a very disjointed park with little purpose. It's missing its soul. It needs to reimagined and redesigned. Removing the Indiana show and the backlot tour are more symptoms of moving away from its overall theme.
It's already the most disjointed stateside park. Personally, I like the concept of The Great Movie Ride, but the attraction is in need of at least a 50% overhaul.

RSoxNo1

WHAT HE IS MAKING ME A LIAR lol That's not what he said in his initial podcast. WELP what can ya do.
Again... not true. As far as I can tell, he first mentioned it on January 15, 2014 (unless it was in an Unofficial Guide). The refurbishment wasn't announced until May 20th (I first saw it here). People made the leap but there were no indications that one meant the other.

Is PhilharMagic digital? Could they be doing that?

RSoxNo1

Just another opinion, but....I think the best way to re-focus DHS is to celebrate the early years and origins of the company and Walt Disney himself, like the DCA re-do did....it seems they took what worked from DHS and applied it to DCA....so now, they should take what works from DCA and apply to DHS.

I realize that contradicts the desire for more Star Wars, Indy, etc. But it would be classy and a park I would enjoy.
Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard aren't going away. Those are two incredibly themed lands (with the exception of the hat). They more than serve the purpose of Buena Vista street.

RSoxNo1

So you "know" him? I'm not being sarcastic...I'm just curious.

To me he comes off as full of himself with the "Mind you" and "whyfor" phrases that he uses over and over in his writings. I stopped reading him years ago because of it. Horrible writer IMO.
I'm not going to pretend we're best friends, but I have spoken with him on my old show on several occasions and a handful of times in person. I don't read his articles enough to comment on his writing, I just know what my impression of him is as a person. I don't think he's full of himself at all.

flyerjab

i totally agree with your point but to me there is no way this is all they do

I agree. He also stated that there is a lot he couldn't say.....even though he did go on to say quite a bit. But near the end of the podcast he apologized for a lack of specifics regarding certain things (i.e. GMR change).

I also remember some time ago that a simulator and coaster were in the plan for Avatar, but then the money for the coaster was being dropped in favor of supporting a Star Wars E-Ticket attraction in DHS. It was in one of those Avatar threads.

Ali Mouse

2 things:
#1 I truly want to believe in my heart that Norway is not going away. That disney has this well thought out plan to incorporate frozen into Norway and that it will be beautifully done! Still staying true to Norway the country. I have faith in this.
#2 I am misty eyed hearing about the Great Movie Ride. I have always loved this ride and what it has exposed to my children. My oldest son became interested in Alien because of it. my daughter starting watching Mary Poppins because of it. And I can still remeber the day that my 3 year old daughter asked " who is that she is beautiful?" My response was Marilyn Monroe. That ride exposes all the classics. I love this ride and therefor do not ever want to see it gone. Update or whatever- but please don't get rid of the beauty of it. It is timeless and majestic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom