DHS ReDo (August 2014)

ABQ

$700,000? Then all we get is a death star themed light bulb, and even that is cheap for WDI and light bulbs.

***I know what you meant though: $700 million
Well, for 700M, we get 100 light bulbs, but only about 75 will work at any given time with 25 being out for at least 100 days a year and a crane will be on site, during park hours, to replace those 25, one at a time during a total shut down refurb lasting 60 days.

Gomer

2 things:
#1 I truly want to believe in my heart that Norway is not going away. That disney has this well thought out plan to incorporate frozen into Norway and that it will be beautifully done! Still staying true to Norway the country. I have faith in this.
#2 I am misty eyed hearing about the Great Movie Ride. I have always loved this ride and what it has exposed to my children. My oldest son became interested in Alien because of it. my daughter starting watching Mary Poppins because of it. And I can still remeber the day that my 3 year old daughter asked " who is that she is beautiful?" My response was Marilyn Monroe. That ride exposes all the classics. I love this ride and therefor do not ever want to see it gone. Update or whatever- but please don't get rid of the beauty of it. It is timeless and majestic.
Modernizing or removing GMR is almost as gross a violation of theme as the Frozenfication of Norway in my mind. GMR represents classic Hollywood which the front portion of DHS is still themed to. It’s the only part of DHS that still has a cohesive theme. The loss of Sid’s was tough to take. This would be the nail in the coffin for the Golden Age Hollywood theming. God forbid modern teens be exposed to classic films as part of the overall theme of DHS. But I guess in the ranks of today’s entitled generation, everything must be theirs, how they want it, and NOW! Everything that they didn’t think of is worthless. Catering to that mentality is just another version of catering to the LCD. Sometimes forcing exposure to concepts and products that people may not seek out on their own is the best way to broaden your mind and get more well-rounded view of the world. But that, sadly, doesn’t seem to be something Disney is interested in anymore.

DHS convinced me to watch Casablanca for the first time when I was 17. I now count it among my favorites of all time. If GMR is removed because its “old”, opportunities like that will disappear.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

Hmmm...
1. I don't think that replacing The Great Movie Ride automatically indicates a loss of the Chinese Theater as an icon. They could gut the building but keep the shell.
2. I think Mr. Hill is very upfront about stating that what he discusses is the current plan, but that plan could change at any time. I treat his reports like I do any other source: I attempt to triangulate information from multiple sources. If several separate entities are hinting at the same thing, it lends credibility to all of them.
3. I find The Disney Dish podcast by @lentesta a most interesting listen, and am very happy when a new one pops up. (In that vein, I'd love to get an in-depth look at each of the WDW resorts, both their history and their "back-story"). :)

dgp602

Ratatouille's ride technology is coming to hollywood studios, but he can't say the themeing.

The Great Movie Ride is going away, something "Very cool" (Not a frozen hint) is going in there.

Star Wars work will begin in January.
Count me among the group that would miss The Great Movie Ride. Sure, it needs a lot of updating, but it is one of the last remnants of what MGM Studios was meant to be...

SpaceMountain77

Speaking as a research scientist, during my Behind the Seeds tour in 2011, I was overcome with great disappointment when our guide informed us that the government-funded, agricultural research program ended about 8 years before.

During that same trip, while taking the Hollywood Studios Backlot Tour, I saw the costuming department and thought about how Disney-MGM Studios opened as a working studio lot.

Although I truly love Disney and am an active DVC member, it is incredibly challenging visiting Epcot and DHS with the knowledge of what they were and seeing what they have become.

RSoxNo1

I agree. He also stated that there is a lot he couldn't say.....even though he did go on to say quite a bit. But near the end of the podcast he apologized for a lack of specifics regarding certain things (i.e. GMR change).

I also remember some time ago that a simulator and coaster were in the plan for Avatar, but then the money for the coaster was being dropped in favor of supporting a Star Wars E-Ticket attraction in DHS. It was in one of those Avatar threads.
The first definitive info on Avatar was Boat ride and Simulator with the Coaster being cut. As far as I know it's been at least two years since the coaster was ever on the table.

dgp602

Speaking as a research scientist, during my Behind the Seeds tour in 2011, I was overcome with great disappointment when our guide informed us that the government-funded, agricultural research program ended about 8 years before.

During that same trip, while taking the Hollywood Studios Backlot Tour, I saw the costuming department and thought about how Disney-MGM Studios opened as a working studio lot.

Although I truly love Disney and am an active DVC member, it is incredibly challenging visiting Epcot and DHS with the knowledge of what they were and seeing what they have become.
Exactly!!! See "Maelstrom" thread for more of that. Norway becoming "Frozen"? Pretty sure that's not keeping with Walt's vision of EPCOT..

doctornick

The first definitive info on Avatar was Boat ride and Simulator with the Coaster being cut. As far as I know it's been at least two years since the coaster was ever on the table.

My impression is that the coaster never made it to final (approved) plans, just was preliminary discussion. But the preliminary discussion also considered a walk through instead of the boat ride, so there's that.

There was a period in winter 2012-13 where the Avatar project was reportedly on life support as the details were being worked out. When Disney and Cameron's people finally came to an agreement on the specifics of the land, the bike coaster was not in the plans. So, to argue it was "cut" IMHO doesn't really make sense because it was never approved to begin with. Lots of things are blue skied and proposed but never approved.

Anyway, I'll go back to my old standby: If Cameron is satisfied with the plans and actively involved in what is being done, I'm optimistic that what we do get will be high quality.

The way Jim explained it is that it's being deliberately delayed to give them a second wave of attendance.

That's sounds stupid to me and inconsistent with how successful things have been done recently (Potter, Cars Land) versus FLE, which was panned for its opening in stages. There shouldn't be any reason why Pandora wouldn't open all at once and, realistically, if they want to have DAK be a "full day park" for most guests, they need as many attractions as possible ASAP. They are already planning to extend the hours of the park into the evening in 2016 with the night show and evening safaris opening.

Anyway, I think @pheneix said a month or two ago (when the "boat ride is cut" rumor swirled) that the idea of a staggered opening for parts of Pandora is incorrect.

flyerjab

That's sounds stupid to me and inconsistent with how successful things have been done recently (Potter, Cars Land) versus FLE, which was panned for its opening in stages. There shouldn't be any reason why Pandora wouldn't open all at once and, realistically, if they want to have DAK be a "full day park" for most guests, they need as many attractions as possible ASAP. They are already planning to extend the hours of the park into the evening in 2016 with the night show and evening safaris opening.

Anyway, I think @pheneix said a month or two ago (when the "boat ride is cut" rumor swirled) that the idea of a staggered opening for parts of Pandora is incorrect.

I agree. This addition to DAK is very different from NFL in terms of location within the park. The wow factor of an addition is diminished when it is opened in stages. Because Pandora is so separate from the rest of the park and is in essence redefining the park boundary, it should be completed in its entirety and then given a true grand opening.

To be honest, I actually like that it is hard to get a lot of photo updates. It adds to the mystique of what the land will look like after it is finished. It reminds me more of what things used to be like before iPhones and the social media stream on the internet changed things forever.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
- Using the force like Potter's wands including the dark side of the force.
- An X-Wing spinner: you go up and down and open the wings. Cantina will be there. Star Tours stays as is.
- Imagineers toured Diagon Alley. 700 million star wars budget.

"Using the force like Potters wands" - So, Disney is now learning from Universal? Thats a damn shame. And after having Imagineers tour Diagon Alley, what do they learn about an immersive land? That building spinners is the way to go!!!

ABQ

"Using the force like Potters wands" - So, Disney is now learning from Universal? Thats a damn shame. And after having Imagineers tour Diagon Alley, what do they learn about an immersive land? That building spinners is the way to go!!!
I'm not saying I'm a fan of spinners, but the HS needs more rides for the little ones. Aside from Midway Mania, what rides are geared toward children there? I'm ok with the spinner for kids IF there is something additional being built for the older demographic. If it's all they plan on, then that's just pathetic.

elchippo

Modernizing or removing GMR is almost as gross a violation of theme as the Frozenfication of Norway in my mind. GMR represents classic Hollywood which the front portion of DHS is still themed to. It’s the only part of DHS that still has a cohesive theme. The loss of Sid’s was tough to take. This would be the nail in the coffin for the Golden Age Hollywood theming. God forbid modern teens be exposed to classic films as part of the overall theme of DHS. But I guess in the ranks of today’s entitled generation, everything must be theirs, how they want it, and NOW! Everything that they didn’t think of is worthless. Catering to that mentality is just another version of catering to the LCD. Sometimes forcing exposure to concepts and products that people may not seek out on their own is the best way to broaden your mind and get more well-rounded view of the world. But that, sadly, doesn’t seem to be something Disney is interested in anymore.

DHS convinced me to watch Casablanca for the first time when I was 17. I now count it among my favorites of all time. If GMR is removed because its “old”, opportunities like that will disappear.

GMR serves the same purpose as SSE in EPCOT-essentially a mission statement for the entire park and in my mind, the signature attraction....DHS/GMR celebrates Hollywood and the achievement of filmmaking, and EPCOT/SSE celebrates connecting the world.

To fully "get" the point of the park, each of these rides should be the first thing a person does when setting foot in them for the first time.

SirLink

i totally agree with your point but to me there is no way this is all they do

Let me remind you this is Disney whom paid $425million for NFL and $600million for Carsland, who don't like spending and when they do its like from the Twilight Zone.

Serious question: do you think Mater's prevents Cars Land from being immersive?

Seen as your not driving in Mater and he is hosting an attraction on tractors AKA cows in the Cars Universe it makes sense. Does a a Small spinning X wing where you can open and close the wings fit into a highly themed Tatooine... nope.

The info I have is that the boat ride will be delayed, similar to Mine Train.

Hahahahahahahahahahahghagaghag ... *coughs* who ever suggested that idea should literally be filmed being fired over uStream.

alphac2005

Two cents or a few here... Jim Hill and his ex-wife (the then "Fabulous Disney Babe") were the go to sources online along with Al Lutz from the late 90's into the beginning of last decade. Jim Hill clearly still gets some things right, but many times he's off. It seems that over the years many of his sources have left the company and he spits out spoon fed rumors and stories for various individuals and their agendas within the company. One thing that Jim Hill has going for him is that he's a true writer and he has generally crafted very well read pieces. I think he's lost a lot of credibility from the fan community the past several years with what has amounted to several apologists type columns for management and his commending them spending money on the the basics that should be automatic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom