DHS ReDo (August 2014)

twebber55

He has previously discussed a speeder bike attraction. @lentesta can attest to this, but it's easy to get Jim side tracked. That seems to have been what happened when discussing Star Wars. They're spending $700,000, I would expect a 3rd Star Wars attraction on top of the spinner and Star Tours.
exactly what I was thinking....if they really are spending 700 million im not worried

doctornick

He has previously discussed a speeder bike attraction. @lentesta can attest to this, but it's easy to get Jim side tracked. That seems to have been what happened when discussing Star Wars. They're spending $700,000, I would expect a 3rd Star Wars attraction on top of the spinner and Star Tours.

IIRC, Hill previously talked about a speeder ride that was a simulator based on the CAVE (is that right?) mechanism. Different from the similar-to-the-Tron-ride-in-Shanghai bike coaster that WDW1974 has suggested was in the plans.

Captain Chaos

$700,000? Then all we get is a death star themed light bulb, and even that is cheap for WDI and light bulbs.

***I know what you meant though: $700 million

Captain Chaos

To me, it sounded like $700 million will be dedicated to the entire overhaul.
That's what I took it to mean too. $700 million for the entire make over, not for Star Wars alone. And even then, for $700 million, you think you'd get something worth while. Look what $400 million got us in Fantasyland. Nothing of substance but a lot of style.

SpaceMountain77

Personally, I truly enjoyed the discussion of a reimagined Illuminations as sufficient for Epcot. Instead of the addition of another country to World Showcase, a Frozen Maelstrom will give families a reason to come to Epcot.

If families do not come to Epcot, then who is contributing to the 120 minute waits at Soarin' ?

lobelia

I feel like DHS is fishing for a mission. Removing classic movies from the GMR just makes it seem like a very disjointed park with little purpose. It's missing its soul. It needs to reimagined and redesigned. Removing the Indiana show and the backlot tour are more symptoms of moving away from its overall theme.

SpaceMountain77

I feel like DHS is fishing for a mission. Removing classic movies from the GMR just makes it seem like a very disjointed park with little purpose. It's missing its soul. It needs to reimagined and redesigned. Removing the Indiana show and the backlot tour are more symptoms of moving away from its overall theme.

Agreed. Like Epcot, it sounds like the initial intent and storyline will be lost and replaced with a hodgepodge of IPs.

flyerjab

So recently TDO has payed a lot of attention to both MK and DAK. Work has happened, is happening and will continue to happen in both parks, along with the construction at DTD. It is great that change is happening, albeit at Disney's almost snail-like, world-record setting slow pace. What is ironic is that I could almost believe what Jim Hill is shoveling in that podcast regarding major changes to DHS over the next 5+ years. I know most don't believe that WDW has a long range strategic plan. I, however, just refuse to believe that is true. Most large companies/conglomerates have some type of plan, even if it is a bare-bones schedule of proposals spanning several years out. I am not saying that it is the plan that everyone wants, but I believe that there is a plan.

Knowing that WDW will be celebrating a milestone 50th anniversary in 2021, I think that looking at the past several years, and knowing what is planned for DTD and DAK, as well as what has been hinted at regarding a significant Star Wars presence in Disney's domestic parks, that there is a plan approaching the 2021 anniversary year. MK work started with the expansion of NFL, with work also happening in the hub and MSUSA bypass. This year, aside from being the year of a million cuts, could also be seen as the year of a million refurbs. I have been to The World on 3 separate occasions this year and MK has almost as many scrims and walls as there are rides. A world-class parade was also added to the MK canon of attractions, and I think that the Festival of Fantasy Parade is incredible to witness. Next up is the overall gutting and re-theming of DTD to Disney Springs. On the heels of this project is the large scale effort being seen in DAK, with so many changes both large and small that there are too many for me to list here.

What next? It almost seems to make sense to me that DHS needs about as much, if not more work than DAK does at this point. Star Wars has been mentioned by Bob Iger on a scale described as significant and most agree that DHS is the destination. This to me is the beginning of repurposing that park and also getting it ready for 2021, falling in line behind DAK.

The final park left out of this timeline currently is EPCOT. There is of course the Frozen Project for Norway, the new Soarin movie and possible addition of a 3rd theater, a possible new nighttime show (of Steve Davison fame). @marni1971 hinted at something in EPCOT getting some much needed attention a while back but has not indicated what that might be. Maybe this park will be dealt with piecemeal. Maybe the suits want to see how the masses react to the supposed bastardization of the Norway Pavilion before paint schemes are the only things that are changed. I still think that this is the park that TDO struggles with in terms of cohesion. I consider the original intent of EPCOT to be admirable for what one expects of a theme park. I recently saw the American Adventure for the first time in July and was truly blown away by that experience (of course coupled with a rousing performance by the Voices of Liberty). If that was the type of attraction EPCOT was going to routinely boast, then I applaud those that originally designed this park and I now understand @sshindel 's chronic obsession with the vapid direction that EPCOT has seemingly taken. In the end, however, I still believe that there is a sense of a plan, which could drastically alter the overall theme of this park depending upon how Frozen is accepted.

In the end, I agree with @CinematicFusion in that there is a plan - a gut-wrenchingly slow plan - but a plan nonetheless. I also believe that DHS is next in line for changes, including the Star Wars expansion mentioned by Jim Hill in his podcast, as well as what Iger stated in his latest quarterly update. At the very least, Iger can now be held accountable for delivering Star Wars expansion news (significant in nature) within 2015. But I also believe that our favorite Spirit is also correct in that we might not hear anything about DHS until later in 2015. I also believe him when he indicates that changes won't be happening in Orlando until much later (whatever Jim Hill is hinting at starting in 2015 might be something as simple as relocating the Jedi Training Academy to a new location in the park - nothing new but still a change). Major work is already being done in MK, DTD, DAK and at many of the deluxe resorts. Adding a large project like that to DHS, as well as at DL, definitely seems like something that Disney would balk at these days.

That is my two cents on what is currently going on and how DHS might fit into the overall scheme of things.

elchippo

Just another opinion, but....I think the best way to re-focus DHS is to celebrate the early years and origins of the company and Walt Disney himself, like the DCA re-do did....it seems they took what worked from DHS and applied it to DCA....so now, they should take what works from DCA and apply to DHS.

I realize that contradicts the desire for more Star Wars, Indy, etc. But it would be classy and a park I would enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom